Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 07:13 PM   #1

Go for trailer or stay with the popup?

My family is new to RV camping. I camped a lot with the oldest son when he was in Boy Scouts but as a family we didn't camp much. My youngest started wanting to camp 2 years ago so we went tent camping a few times but by the time we set up if seemed it was time to take it down and they didn't travel light.

Last year I talked the DW into a cheap popup so everything was ready to go and it would be simple to setup and take down. My idea was a stripped down tent on wheels. What the DW picked was 1 size down from the largest we could find and picked a 2010 HW276. For those not familar, it is 25ft assembled and just under 4,000 GVWR. This is the largest I would let her go with our TV at the time only have 5,500 tow capacity. I knew even this was stretching it but we were loading it light (since it already had everything on it). And yes, I took it to the scales and was within all the max weights loaded out for camping.

Because of several factors, we only took it out camping once last year although we did have setup in the back yard most of the summer. During that 1 trip, the front wall seperated. I have also had to replumb 1/2 the camper, repair part of the wiring and the electric jack. It has been at the shop 3 times this year trying to get the front wall fixed and part of the tent.

We are camping next weekend for the first time this year and have 3 more trips planned including the whole week of July 4th. I am really concerned about having a popup and wonder if we should have looked at hardwall trailers instead. We went looking this weekend and the wife has fallen in love with one model in particular.

Looking for feedback. Should we keep the popup or go for a real trialer? I have recently upgraded the TV to a Ram 1500, 5.7L, 3.92 with 10,000 lbs. tow capacity. The wife is in love with the floor plan of a Jayco 26BH but I know Forest River has similar models. From what I have read on here, I might have as many or more problems for any other trailer we purchase.

Some things to know. We live in upstate NY with lots of mountains and are only camping at state parks with electric but no other hookups. Most of the slots are 30ft max. The wife's must haves are heater and AC. Needs to sleep 4 adults and 2 dogs.
kajoiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:56 PM   #2

Some of the state campgrounds in PA have other hook ups, It may be not too much money more to stay at some full hook up campgrounds, I have a 2016 Shamrock 23ws, we love it, it has some quirks but I took care of them really quick, I think a hybrid would be perfect for you folks, don't be afraid to camp at some campgrounds with full hook uos, once yo do you will be glad to have full use of the rig.
Good luck!
Old 05-27-2019, 08:22 PM   #3

A few years ago we were where you are now. We had a highwall pop up, Fleetwood Niagra (29ft opened up and 4000 GVWR), and we were looking really hard at the Jayco 26BH.

I initially liked the 26BH because it checked all the boxes for having bunks, a couch, and a dinette at a reasonable price and weight. However, at 29ft, with no slides, its NARROW and confining!

After looking at may floorplans side-by-side we decided on a hybrid (23IKSS) with dual opposing slides and never looked back. Hybrids are great because they tow small but open up big.

Whatever you do I would not recommend the 26BH simply because of the lack of a slide. JMHO.
2004 Suburban 2500 8.1 liter, 4.10, tow rating 12,000, GCWR 19,000, Doorjamb payload: 2108
2003 Suburban 1500 Z71, 5.3/3.73, airbags, LT tires, Big Brake Upgrade, Prodigy P2
Shamrockthecasbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:54 AM   #4

What type of camper to get is a personal choice, everybody is looking for something different. If it’s not what you want or doesn’t meet your needs keep looking. We only do full hook up and wanted more room so we went with a Vibe 288 rls, big living area and two slides, but that’s what works for us. If you have doubts keep looking. My best recommendation is buy local, easier and quicker to get service if you bought it there, others go to bottom of the list.
sunnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #5

We have a 2017 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26BH. Same layout as the Jayco.

This is our 3rd summer with this trailer. We started tent camping and moved to a popup. As the kids grew we moved to this TT. Everyone's experience is different, but I can say we haven't had any problems with ours. I do general maintenance, but overall no problems so far. If you buy from a dealer just do a through PDI and have them repair anything you find.

Good luck.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:01 AM   #6
RV There Yet?

I started camping with my wife in a tent, then a large popup similar to yours. last year we moved up to a hardside. we got a little tired of setting up when it rains, drying everything out when we got home, popping it up to pack. i agree, you might be best served with a hybrid! kind of the best of both worlds. plus, the dogs usually LOVE the tent ends!
Old 05-28-2019, 09:46 AM   #7

I agree with sunman. By the camper that suits your camping style. We moved to a pop-up from tents because tents were hard on our backs, and a bear frequenting our campsite.

Thoroughly enjoyed the PUP when the kids were young. The expanse of windows made it still feel like camping, not sealed up in a tin house. As the kids got older, they started sleeping in their own tent, and not in the PUP with Mom and Dad. We sold our last PUP to move to Colorado.

After a few years here, and camping and backpacking with Scouts, DW wanted to camp again. We compared A-frames and PUPs, and settled on the A-frame. PUPs were a little more open to the outside (A-frames aren't as closed off as most TTs), and had quite a bit more interior space. But we spend our day outside, not inside, so the A-frame proved to be the better option for us. Storage in the garage, and really quick set-up make 2-4 day trips a true joy (we went on 3 3 day trips this May). Our new A-frame sleeps a 3rd easily, but our kids still prefer their own tent when they come with us.

Think about how you actually camp - or want to camp in light of your experiences - and get the equipment to suit that camping style.

just our experiences
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:36 AM   #8

We had a pop-up for probably 15 years. two years ago we upgraded to an older (2008) 33' bumper pull camper.

We sold the pop-up because it was just too much work. Every time we went camping it was setting it up 3 times.

1) Set everything up to pack it, tear everything down to move it
2) set it all up again at the site and tear it down to move it.
3) set everything up at home again to remove items, clean, and dry the canvas. Then tear it back down again to store it.

In comparison, the hard-side camper is just drag it home to pack it, then take it to the campground.. back it up and drop the Jack's and you're done.

We moved from South Dakota to Georgia and now we drag it up to visit family. There is no way I could set up and tear down that much as we typically stay in 7-8 campgrounds. Not to mention how nice it is if you're travelling long distance to just drop the Jack's and call it a night.

However, I didn't realize how easy I had things with the pop-up. Virtually no maintenance needed. The large camper always has something that needs addressed. Cracking caulk, delamination, trim that comes off, dealing with rodents, etc.. I never had those kinds of issues with the pop-up.

Overall, I'm happy we upgraded. However, I'm getting really tired of the maintenance. Something to think about.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #9

We did tents, ok when your young. We had a hybrid that both ends opened for sleeping. We didn't mind it but still if it rained when you were camping you needed to open it up at home to dry and air out. We also did not like the fact that if we weren't at the camper anyone could easily get in it. Last year we decided to take the plunge and buy a new one. After a short time we both agreed. Completely enclosed, AC, bunks ( for grand kids ) and dining room slide out. I never appreciated how much space you get with even just a small slide out.
Tom911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #10

In the over 40 years of camping (60 years of you just count my camping), my wife and I have had tents, a converted VW bus, a pop-up camper, and 3 trailers. Size is something you have to consider as a personal taste. Now, we have a Windjammer and love it. Where we camp allows for the almost 35 ft size. BUT, after working canvas, and with the VW bus, having our campsite stolen as we toured around, and trying to battle winds off Lake Superior in the popup which almost tipped it over, I am for a completely hard sided trailer with slide outs, a real shower, and good toilet! Sure, it's fun to camp in a tent (popups to me are a modified tent) and be close to the outdoors, but, the solid walls of a trailer greatly help prevent someone with a knife or a determined animal (like the bears we have had in camp in the MI UP), from cutting open your "house" and making a mess looking for food or robbing you of something (remember the news story of the child who was taken from a tent that way). Not to mention the rain coming in a leaky canvas after 9 days in a row of rain (been there, done that - don't touch the canvas!). The convenience of the solid RV's (whatever you get - TT, 5W, MH) with everything hard on the outside is, to me, definitely worth the extra cost. As far as upkeep, I found it a wash as far as having to pack and set up the tent and all the extra stuff (like stove, bed, etc.) compared to setting up/maintaining a TT. When we are at the destination, though, we don't worry about rain, etc. only about having a good time. If it is cold we turn on the heat and reach in the closet for a jacket or coat (no hunting in a duffle bag). When it is hot outside, we enjoy meals in the air conditioning. When it is just right, we cook over a fire outside. With full hookups, we are "at home" in the outdoors. Our tents wore out; the popup canvas wore in the corners and leaked, but, the solid walled trailers lasted for years (one 14, the other 23, and this one in its 6th season). It's just nicer that way. Yes, do get one with slide outs, too. I think you will be glad you did.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:25 PM   #11

We had one other walled camper before we bought the one with the tents on each end. Hybrid I guess. Lost it in a flood. It was too small for more than three people but what a great little camper. That's why we went back to a wall camper. We go to winefest at Watkins Glen race track. You can have three seasons in one weekend. Hot you need AC, Cold you need heat, wind so hard tents leave.
Tom911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:41 PM   #12

One thing to think about as well, in many of the states that have bears and what not, PUPs that have soft walls may have booking restrictions. However, this was mainly around Tetons and Yellowstone, etc... I was not aware of this restriction but it stated it in the reservation sections. We have a 26 DBH Alpha Wolf with a slide (a lot of room for four people) and more robust insulation. Kinda makes it a 3.5 season TT.

Old TV- 2016 Silverado CC 1500 4X4
PhilM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:06 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
One thing to think about as well, in many of the states that have bears and what not, PUPs that have soft walls may have booking restrictions. However, this was mainly around Tetons and Yellowstone, etc... I was not aware of this restriction but it stated it in the reservation sections. We have a 26 DBH Alpha Wolf with a slide (a lot of room for four people) and more robust insulation. Kinda makes it a 3.5 season TT.
There were no soft-sided camper restrictions at Colter Bay campground, in GTNP.
The only YNP campground with soft-sided camper restrictions, is Fishing Bridge campground.
We stayed in Grand Teton NP, Glacier NP, Yellowstone NP and Glacier NP, with our hybrid TT.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom911 View Post
We did tents, ok when your young. We had a hybrid that both ends opened for sleeping. We didn't mind it but still if it rained when you were camping you needed to open it up at home to dry and air out. We also did not like the fact that if we weren't at the camper anyone could easily get in it. Last year we decided to take the plunge and buy a new one. After a short time we both agreed. Completely enclosed, AC, bunks ( for grand kids ) and dining room slide out. I never appreciated how much space you get with even just a small slide out.
I agree with Tom. We did it all, couple of tents, 4 pop-ups, one hybrid and finally hard sided. I was disappointed on the hybrid. Heavy dampness under mattress every morning from condensation, beds under canvass during rain storms afraid to touch the sides, had to run furnace on warm evenings just to reduce the humidity inside. If you can afford a hard sided, go with it.
Dan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainframe View Post
Some of the state campgrounds in PA have other hook ups, It may be not too much money more to stay at some full hook up campgrounds, I have a 2016 Shamrock 23ws, we love it, it has some quirks but I took care of them really quick, I think a hybrid would be perfect for you folks, don't be afraid to camp at some campgrounds with full hook uos, once yo do you will be glad to have full use of the rig.
Good luck!
I am not afraid of the full hookup sites and would actually prefer but we like the sites with some buffer between sites and with trees. Everything I have found with full hookups look more like parking lots.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
The 2 parks we have stayed in have had warnings up about bears but we have thankfully not had any issues. I could see where that would be a concern and the ranger has come around on the trips making sure everyone put food up at night.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:59 PM   #17

I presume you are asking for opinions. So here's one.

On my second PUP. First was a stripper Viking with a 10' tub. No bath, and based on my wife's preferences, no bath meant no boondocking.

Current is the 2014 Rockwood HW-277. Much like yours, it's the Taj Mahal of PUPs. King bed up front, queen in back, wet bath with hard walls, stove with oven, micro, double-bowl sink, outdoor kitchen, slide with U-dinette.

Once setup, it's the Ritz.

BUT....you knew there was a but, right?
  • It's a lot of work to setup and tear down compared to a hard-side.
  • We boondock in bear country, so every night I move all food from the PUP to the locked TV.
  • Holding tanks are tiny. 20 gallons fresh, 12 gallons black, 12 gallons grey. The black tank is adequate for about 5 to 6 days, but the grey tank must be emptied every day or two, and I must carry 28 gallons of fresh in jugs to have enough. LOTS more work.
  • Colorado is cold, and it's colder than a mother in the PUP even with the furnace running when it gets down near freezing. It is, after all, a glorified tent.
  • A 6 cubic foot fridge sure would be nice. As it is, I must carry two huge coolers with ice...one for drinks and one for food. And that huge food cooler must be lifted into the cab of the TV every night and lifted out every day. Not to mention the trip to a store for ice in the middle of longer stays during warm weather. Just what I want to do rather than canoeing or hiking...go get ice.
  • They ain't no place to store pretty much nuthin'...such as a generator, chairs, and so on. The bed of my TV has a genny, gas, 4 x 7 gallon jugs of water, 2 propane tanks, 4 chairs (we get guests), 2 large coolers, canoe paddles, firewood, and, and, and.
  • A dry shower sure would be nice.
  • Perhaps as important as all is that you can actually pack a hard-side camper for a trip while it's parked on your property. As you know, a PUP is impossible to pack while closed. I've become a master of lists while in camp so I can restock what I need once setup at the next site. It's surely too damned much work to setup the camper in the driveway to simply replenish the dish-washing liquid. There are no such problems with a hard side or hybrid. Just walk in the door, check the supplies, load the fridge, change the sheets, and, and, and...with a PUP, all that stuff that requires half an hour to setup and half an hour to put away....and then there's no room in there anyway.

Sticking to Forest River brands, I'm in love with the Mini Lite series. The 2104S is awesome. Only 22 feet long, sleeps 4 adults (two in a giant u-shaped dinette in the slide), is positively luxuriously outfitted, and well equipped for boondocking if you add solar and more battery. Yes, you'll need a bigger TV. It's almost 5K pounds dry and has a tongue weight near 600#. My RAM 1500 has a 7700# tow capacity, so it's a serious consideration. AND THEY HAVE BEEN AROUND LONG ENOUGH TO BUY A GOOD ONE USED.

Another option that would satisfy your wife (if she likes the PUP) is a hybrid. They can often sleep an army and they have many of the advantages (and a few of the disadvantages - colder, less secure in bear country, and a wee bit more work to setup) of a big PUP and a hard-side. Again, true to brand on a Forest River Forum, the Roo series is very flexible. The smallest one has three, count 'em THREE, beds! A friend of mine has another brand of hybrid, and he loves it.

As for your trouble-prone PUP, it seems you have a lemon that was ridden hard and put away wet. Your list of woes is extraordinary in length. I've had my issues with my HW-277, but they pale in comparison.
The choice of whether to keep or ditch a lemon is a different choice from hard side/PUP.

One thing's for sure, churning thru campers is REALLY expensive. These things depreciate faster than cars. The best option is to consider your needs in the long run....what happens when the kids go to college?...and choose something you can live with for a long time.

My PUP is great, but at 70 years old, if I don't upgrade soon, my camping days will be over.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
There were no soft-sided camper restrictions at Colter Bay campground, in GTNP.
The only YNP campground with soft-sided camper restrictions, is Fishing Bridge campground.
We stayed in Grand Teton NP, Glacier NP, Yellowstone NP and Glacier NP, with our hybrid TT.
Ditto, on the NPs. Our hybrid works for us. We have taken 3 xcountry trips, on our 3rd as I write. When we bought ours in 2015, we had 2 big dogs so the floor space with a slide out was ideal. We also like the front deck on our 21bd for carrying outdoor stuff that we don't want to store inside. If you still want the tent feel, consider a hybrid. Don't rush in to buying something that you may not be happy with. Do your research and you will find what works best for your family.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:47 AM   #19

Rent?

We have owned three full TT and two PUPs over the years and a truck mounted camper. We moved between them as our use and kids required. We now have a RW 2509S for the two of us but we can sleep 6 more grandkids if needed.

We love being able to load and go and not have to pull everything apart. If it rains - enjoy the sound and not look for leaks.

If you are only using a TT for a couple days/trips a year - why not rent? No payments, insurance, taxes, storage, or maintenance. You can also try different floorplans and maybe you will find one that works - then buy the same trailer used from the rental company.

Just a thought.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #20

Lots of weekend/long weekend trips close to home. Hardside stays packed and ready to go other than perishables. Takes 20 min's to pack and go and we drop off at storage on the way home (2 Mi from house) ready for net trip. All the time packing and unpacking, airing and drying.... reduced to nothing for us where it could take half day(s) in the past. Big plus for us.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer