Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #1

Go west…uh further west…

So DW and I have nearly reached our one-year mark of TT ownership. We picked up our 2018 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306 on 3/15/18 in Indiana and brought it home to SW Ohio. Since that time, we have logged just over 5,000 miles in the TT. Two overnights in the driveway to test everything out, three weekends at local state parks within a few hours driving distance, one twenty-day trip to Colorado Springs to visit our MD (middle daughter) with a few side trips on the way and two extended trips to Pidgeon Forge TN this past fall. I winterized the TT before driving home from Pidgeon Forge in November. Since I am a few years away from retirement I even worked a total of eight days out of the TT which went well.

For all the above we pulled the TT with a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L engine which did fine, and we did not have any issues and really enjoyed each trip. However, after parking the TT for the winter decided to upgrade our TV. Found a great deal on a 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 HD 3/4 ton with the 6.0L engine in anticipation of our next big trip. We will still due some weekends and local extended trips but this June we plan to pull the TT from SW Ohio all the way to Portland OR to visit our OD (oldest daughter) and her husband. I just felt that the extra HP and Capacity would come in handy going over the Continental Divide.

We are planning on 42 days for the round trip and include 10 days in and around Yellowstone NP on the way there, six days in the Portland area and then another 5 days in Colorado Springs area on the way back to visit MD. We leave home on Memorial Day weekend and return home the weekend after July 4th. I am planning on working about 3 days each week and have tried to plan our camp sites accordingly to ensure we have good Wi-Fi and Cell service for the days I will be working.

So, since we are still relatively new to the RV lifestyle, we just wanted to ask you old pros for words of wisdom regarding our upcoming 42-day trip out west. Whether that be related to working from the TT, points of interest along the way (especially in YS), any pitfalls to avoid, packing and food suggestions, things that you enjoyed and those you didn’t or anything else you can think of that you would be willing to share.

We have a few months to prepare but I know there is still a lot of prep work to do to get everything ready, so I am looking forward to any and all suggestions from you all.

The picture is the Rig with the old truck...

Thanks in advance and as always happy camping…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	file-3.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	509.9 KB
ID:	194949  
LambPen-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambPen-1 View Post
So DW and I have nearly reached our one-year mark of TT ownership. We picked up our 2018 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306 on 3/15/18 in Indiana and brought it home to SW Ohio. Since that time, we have logged just over 5,000 miles in the TT. Two overnights in the driveway to test everything out, three weekends at local state parks within a few hours driving distance, one twenty-day trip to Colorado Springs to visit our MD (middle daughter) with a few side trips on the way and two extended trips to Pidgeon Forge TN this past fall. I winterized the TT before driving home from Pidgeon Forge in November. Since I am a few years away from retirement I even worked a total of eight days out of the TT which went well.

For all the above we pulled the TT with a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L engine which did fine, and we did not have any issues and really enjoyed each trip. However, after parking the TT for the winter decided to upgrade our TV. Found a great deal on a 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 HD 3/4 ton with the 6.0L engine in anticipation of our next big trip. We will still due some weekends and local extended trips but this June we plan to pull the TT from SW Ohio all the way to Portland OR to visit our OD (oldest daughter) and her husband. I just felt that the extra HP and Capacity would come in handy going over the Continental Divide.

We are planning on 42 days for the round trip and include 10 days in and around Yellowstone NP on the way there, six days in the Portland area and then another 5 days in Colorado Springs area on the way back to visit MD. We leave home on Memorial Day weekend and return home the weekend after July 4th. I am planning on working about 3 days each week and have tried to plan our camp sites accordingly to ensure we have good Wi-Fi and Cell service for the days I will be working.

So, since we are still relatively new to the RV lifestyle, we just wanted to ask you old pros for words of wisdom regarding our upcoming 42-day trip out west. Whether that be related to working from the TT, points of interest along the way (especially in YS), any pitfalls to avoid, packing and food suggestions, things that you enjoyed and those you didn’t or anything else you can think of that you would be willing to share.

We have a few months to prepare but I know there is still a lot of prep work to do to get everything ready, so I am looking forward to any and all suggestions from you all.

The picture is the Rig with the old truck...

Thanks in advance and as always happy camping…
Hubby recommends that you invest in tire monitors if you haven't done so already.
You will need cold weather gear for YSNP that early in the season. At least items that can be layered. We purchased 2 electric skillets so that we can cook breakfast outside. I don't like to stink up my new 5er.
bmcevers_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #3

Im seeing a typo or I have some confusion on your new truck. I was not aware there was a 1500 3/4 ton HD truck? 2500?
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #4

If you are heading straight to Yellowstone you may get there before some parts open for the season. We were there the second week of June a few years ago and we arrived the day they opened the roads in the northern half of the figure eight.
If you are planning on driving the Beartooth Highway, they try to have it open by Memorial Day but that can change at any hour. On another trip during the third week of June, we were eating lunch in Red Lodge Montana and a family came in and said that s sudden storm came up and closed the highway above 9000 ft.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
Im seeing a typo or I have some confusion on your new truck. I was not aware there was a 1500 3/4 ton HD truck? 2500?

I did not believe it either but yes Chevy did make a 1500 HD 3/4 ton in 2006. I think after that they only made 3/4 tons in the 2500 version. Go figure. Our new truck is a 1500 HD 3/4 ton with 6.0L engine.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcevers_13 View Post
Hubby recommends that you invest in tire monitors if you haven't done so already.
You will need cold weather gear for YSNP that early in the season. At least items that can be layered. We purchased 2 electric skillets so that we can cook breakfast outside. I don't like to stink up my new 5er.
WHAT!!! nothing better then the smell of bacon grease and pancakes!!!
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:10 PM   #7

Quote:
I did not believe it either but yes Chevy did make a 1500 HD 3/4 ton in 2006. I think after that they only made 3/4 tons in the 2500 version. Go figure. Our new truck is a 1500 HD 3/4 ton with 6.0L engine.
Yeah Ford did that with the F150 for a few years around that year, it was the 7700 version with 7 lug wheels.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:10 PM   #8

Quote:
For all the above we pulled the TT with a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L engine which did fine, and we did not have any issues and really enjoyed each trip. However, after parking the TT for the winter decided to upgrade our TV.
I had the exact same truck. Upgraded to 2018 Ford F-150 in my signature. You will be amazed how much better a newer truck pulls. Even the exact 5.3L in a new Chevy 1500 truck is night and day and has more power than the 6.0 in your new to you 2006.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
A 1500 HD is a light duty 3/4 ton.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcevers_13 View Post

Thanks for the input, haven’t purchased tire monitors yet but am beginning to look into them. Any recommendations?
Old 01-19-2019, 06:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
If you are heading straight to Yellowstone you may get there before some parts open for the season. We were there the second week of June a few years ago and we arrived the day they opened the roads in the northern half of the figure eight.
If you are planning on driving the Beartooth Highway, they try to have it open by Memorial Day but that can change at any hour. On another trip during the third week of June, we were eating lunch in Red Lodge Montana and a family came in and said that s sudden storm came up and closed the highway above 9000 ft.

Good point, I will have to watch this closely as the time draws near. We were planning on entering on the east side coming from Cody and camping on the west side near West Yellowstone.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:56 PM   #12

I've got the TireMinder system which has saved me a couple of times. Was able to stop before tire blew out and resulting damage it can cause. This link is the brand on
Amazon. It's looks like what I have but a little newer version. https://www.amazon.com/TireMinder-Tr...itoring+system
luvbigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #13

Check the weather

After 30+ years living here n Wyo, check the weather before using I25 or I80. The wind can be a real white knuckle influence...... that said - drive Chief Joseph highway out of Cody either going towards Red Lodge and Beartooth Pass (gorgeous!) or through Cooke City into Yellowstone. If you come back through Montana later in June, a side trip to Glacier NP and driving “Going to the Sun” road is to me top 3 scenic drive in the US. Bad part is it is snow packed well into June, & might not fit in your schedule.
If you go out of Yellowstone through Gardiner, there is a fabulous restaurant in Chico Hot Springs, and a very nice RV camp close by called Yellowstone’s Edge that we have used several times.
If you like unusual entertainment while in the Cody/Red Lodge area, the Bear Creek Saloon in Best Creek MT has Pig Racing that is truly hilarious & proceeds go to charity. Good steakhouse, too!
LairdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Hi Rider
Go west…uh further west…

You have a wonderful trip planed. In respect to Yellowstone NP I suggest you drive (without your TT) The Bear Tooth Highway, a National Scenic Byways All-American Road. It's a 68-mile drive with much of the highway above 9,000 feet elevation and a pass to cross at 10,947 elevation. The drive connects the cities of Red Lodge and Cooke City, Montana. You can start at either end. I like parking my RV in Red Lodge and driving west and making a round trip out of it. That way the morning sun is giving the best light for taking photos heading east and the afternoon sun on the mountains when heading west after lunch at Cooke City. Cooke City is at the northeast entrance to Yellowstone, NP. You could start there, of course.The elevation at Cooke City (pop = 140) is 7,608 ft and the Red Lodge elevation is 5,568 ft. (pop = 2,125) I understand 18-wheelers drive it so you probably could pull your TT, but it might be hard on your truck and brakes considering the elevation gain going up and braking going down. In respect to cooking, my son gave me an Instant Pot for Christmas and I've been making stews and freezing them in 3-cup plastic containers for eating on the road.
2020 - 162 Days and 5,359 Miles
2021 - 113 Days and 3,835 Miles
2022 - 35 Days and counting, and 3,372 Miles and counting
Hi Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:52 PM   #15

We spent 86 nights in our 5th wheel last year and tried to plan some RV parks where we thought the wireless network would be good for us to get work and communications done. For the most part we were very disappointed in the quality of the wireless in most parks. So please let me suggest that if you do plan to work from your RV see if you can get sites close to the "office" or be prepared to take your laptop to the office to work. If you can call the park ahead of time tell them your needs and they can possibly put you in a site that is close to a internet access point where the signal strength is better. If you have already made reservations call the park back and explain your need, they will probably help you out. The thing we saw more then anything was how helpful and accommodating most park managers are. If heading to Yellowstone early season consider the town of West Yellowstone. It is right on the edge of the park and is a beautiful drive into the park if it's open. If not the little town is a delight to visit. Tire pressure monitors are awesome but sometimes a little pricy. I've resorted to a quality 12 volt tire air compressor and a $5.00 pressure gauge. I checked the coach tire pressure before leaving any site along with the TV. Awesome trip! Have fun!!
Old 01-20-2019, 10:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I had the exact same truck. Upgraded to 2018 Ford F-150 in my signature. You will be amazed how much better a newer truck pulls. Even the exact 5.3L in a new Chevy 1500 truck is night and day and has more power than the 6.0 in your new to you 2006.

I cannot argue with the newer trucks pulling better, but the new to me 2006 3/4 ton upgrades HP, tow capacity and cargo capacity from my old 1999 1/2 ton without breaking my budget. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbigiron View Post
I've got the TireMinder system which has saved me a couple of times. Was able to stop before tire blew out and resulting damage it can cause. This link is the brand on

Amazon. It's looks like what I have but a little newer version. https://www.amazon.com/TireMinder-Tr...itoring+system

Thanks I will check that out.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdT View Post
After 30+ years living here n Wyo, check the weather before using I25 or I80. The wind can be a real white knuckle influence...... that said - drive Chief Joseph highway out of Cody either going towards Red Lodge and Beartooth Pass (gorgeous!) or through Cooke City into Yellowstone. If you come back through Montana later in June, a side trip to Glacier NP and driving “Going to the Sun” road is to me top 3 scenic drive in the US. Bad part is it is snow packed well into June, & might not fit in your schedule.
If you go out of Yellowstone through Gardiner, there is a fabulous restaurant in Chico Hot Springs, and a very nice RV camp close by called Yellowstone’s Edge that we have used several times.
If you like unusual entertainment while in the Cody/Red Lodge area, the Bear Creek Saloon in Best Creek MT has Pig Racing that is truly hilarious & proceeds go to charity. Good steakhouse, too!

Thanks for the suggestions. We will have five free days without plans so may work these in.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoe1840 View Post
We spent 86 nights in our 5th wheel last year and tried to plan some RV parks where we thought the wireless network would be good for us to get work and communications done. For the most part we were very disappointed in the quality of the wireless in most parks. So please let me suggest that if you do plan to work from your RV see if you can get sites close to the "office" or be prepared to take your laptop to the office to work. If you can call the park ahead of time tell them your needs and they can possibly put you in a site that is close to a internet access point where the signal strength is better. If you have already made reservations call the park back and explain your need, they will probably help you out. The thing we saw more then anything was how helpful and accommodating most park managers are. If heading to Yellowstone early season consider the town of West Yellowstone. It is right on the edge of the park and is a beautiful drive into the park if it's open. If not the little town is a delight to visit. Tire pressure monitors are awesome but sometimes a little pricy. I've resorted to a quality 12 volt tire air compressor and a $5.00 pressure gauge. I checked the coach tire pressure before leaving any site along with the TV. Awesome trip! Have fun!!

Thanks for the insights. We have spoken with some of the parks and mentioned the need for good Wi-Fi so I can work. We also have a dedicated hotspot so as long as cell service is decent I should still be ok. Only booked parks that had multiple good reviews for Wi-Fi and cell service on the days I need to work. We will see how it goes.

I always check tires before leaving each site and carry an air compressor as well.

Thanks again.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #20

1500 3/4 truck

I don't know the wisdom of GM, but i had a 1500 3/4 chevy which i bought new in 03. As my brother said that (he worked where they were built) it is labeled 1500 on a real 8 lug 3/4 chassis. traded it in on a 3/4 diesel in 06. 5th wheel gone, now have class c sun seeker.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote