Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #41

Hey Wildcatman. How ironic you're choosing this camper and truck combo. I have a friend/co-worker who has the exact same set-up. He has an '18 F350SRW he bought two months ago and they just picked up their Pinnacle 38REFS from Camper Country in Myrtle Beach about 3-4 weeks ago. They are LOVING it!

He sent me these weights from the CAT scale recently. Its with he and his wife plus full tank of fuel.

Steer Axle: 5100 lbs.
Drive Axle: 6720 lbs.
Trailer Axle: 11,880 lbs.
Gross Weight: 23,700 lbs.

His truck by itself is:

Steer Axle: 5080 lbs.
Drive Axle: 3500 lbs.
Gross Weight: 8580 lbs.

Hope this helps.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:26 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcatman View Post
Your input is much appreciated! I have a 2017 33' Wildcat 29 RLX that i was pulling with a 2003 Ford F250. I've done a lot of traveling throughout the past year. I've become very good at backing the rig into sites. Just bought a 2017 Ford F350 SRW with the tow package and puck system. Hitch is Curt 2000.
I'm seriously considering a new Pinnacle 38 REFS (43') GVW around 17,000 lbs. I'm guessing traveling down the road will be about the same except around tight curves. I move around a lot. My question is... Am i limited on parks? is it a lot harder to back in? if not impossible. What should I expect to be different? Thanks in advance for your help!!
The man thing you need to worry about is pin to back axle length on turns. If you check state maps it will list the roads with maximum pin/axle length. With the added 10 feet yours will be a little more. If you are comfortable backing, you will have to start your turn slightly earlier with the added 10 feet.... You will be fine...... Most parks can accept your to big rigs so that will not be a problem, especially if you check ahead with the park.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:47 PM   #43

I agree with several above, you really need a 1 ton dually, and strongly recommend a diesel. Here are just some of the safety issues. The brakes on a 3./4 ton are not big enough for that much towed weight, regardless of what the truck Mfg prints in it literature. Remember, the trailer does not have sufficient braking for its own weight and the truck has to do the rest. With the total weight you will have on the rear axle of a 3/4 ton truck with the 5th wheel connected, you are seriously overloading the tires, rear suspension and truck rear axle bearings. Also, with a SRW (whether a 3/4 or 1 ton), if you have a flat or blowout, you will be in the ditch before you realize what happened. The DRW will also remove the issue of getting blown around in cross winds or when big rigs pass you.
bill32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:00 PM   #44

[QUOTE=KFX450RXC;1846587]Hey Wildcatman. How ironic you're choosing this camper and truck combo. I have a friend/co-worker who has the exact same set-up. He has an '18 F350SRW he bought two months ago and they just picked up their Pinnacle 38REFS from Camper Country in Myrtle Beach about 3-4 weeks ago. They are LOVING it!

He sent me these weights from the CAT scale recently. Its with he and his wife plus full tank of fuel.
Drive Axle: 6720 lbs.
Trailer Axle: 11,880 lbs.
Gross Weight: 23,700 lbs.

The above post makes my point in my earlier post about overloading the rear axle and tires on a SRW. The 10 ply E rated tires on both a 3/4 or 1 ton are rated at 3040 lbs each max. Therefore even before you add any additional weight such as fuel, propane, water or passengers, those tow rear tires are already over max capacity by 350 lbs each.
bill32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:37 AM   #45

We had a 42 and went down to a 33. Our biggest issue was finding parks that we could fit into, because we are NOT planners. We are get up and go and be spontaneous. Many parks in our area would have only a few sites big enough for us and those require reservations a few months in advanced. So we found ourselves very limited and used a lot of RV Resorts that cater to the larger vehicles.

Now when we planned trips for vacations, it was not a big deal, because we plan a few months out and we were always able to find a spot that was large enough. Its the spontaneous trips we had problems find spaces big enough.
jp4ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp4ga View Post
We had a 42 and went down to a 33. Our biggest issue was finding parks that we could fit into, because we are NOT planners. We are get up and go and be spontaneous. Many parks in our area would have only a few sites big enough for us and those require reservations a few months in advanced. So we found ourselves very limited and used a lot of RV Resorts that cater to the larger vehicles.

Now when we planned trips for vacations, it was not a big deal, because we plan a few months out and we were always able to find a spot that was large enough. Its the spontaneous trips we had problems find spaces big enough.
We take 8 - 12 trips a year and only reserve destinations. Every trip requires 1 - 3 overnight stops. They are never reserved and I've had zero problems finding a site for my 43' 5er. Sounds like a local thing in your area. We usually call around 2 pm looking for a 4 m site.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:05 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill32 View Post
The above post makes my point in my earlier post about overloading the rear axle and tires on a SRW. The 10 ply E rated tires on both a 3/4 or 1 ton are rated at 3040 lbs each max. Therefore even before you add any additional weight such as fuel, propane, water or passengers, those tow rear tires are already over max capacity by 350 lbs each.
My last two F350 SRWs came from the factory with Michelins rated at 3750 lbs. each. Why would Ford list the RAWR on the new F350 as 7250 lbs. but only put 6080 lb. capacity tires?

The numbers on the F350 I posted from the scales puts his rear axle weight at roughly 500 lbs. under capacity limits.

If your truck has those tires, they are making some really nice travel trailers these days.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:00 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
My last two F350 SRWs came from the factory with Michelins rated at 3750 lbs. each. Why would Ford list the RAWR on the new F350 as 7250 lbs. but only put 6080 lb. capacity tires?

The numbers on the F350 I posted from the scales puts his rear axle weight at roughly 500 lbs. under capacity limits.

If your truck has those tires, they are making some really nice travel trailers these days.
My truck has the Michelin's on it that are rated for the 3750 that you mentioned.
Wildcatman is offline   Reply With Quote