Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2016, 07:19 PM   #21
Site Team

Get the specs from your Tow vehicle, max load capacity ( usually exceeded before max towing capacity). Remember to subtract weight of passengers, gear in TV and 70 lbs for hitch. Check the weights on the units you are looking at. Look at ones that fit in your range, and ones that exceed your range by 2X-3X ( knowing you can't possibly tow them). Do not look at units just over your weight limit as the salesman will try hard to convince you you can tow it. Don't take your check book. If you find something you like and the deal appears good, go home and discuss it overnight. I guarantee you if you call the dealer the next morning, he/she will not say no.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:28 PM   #22

show deals aren't as good as they want you to think they are. Dealers will do just as good if not better. They have to if they want to sell anything. Take your time and sit in one for awhile and imagine "living" in it. Find what you like, Google the model on your phone and see what dealers asking prices are for comparison
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:47 PM   #23

I agree with KFX450RXC, don't let them provide you with a cheap hitch. In forty years of towing I have had several brands and styles of hitches, but the one I liked the best was the Equal-i-zer 4 point sway control hitch. Kind of to bad we live so far apart, as my wife and I just bought our first Motorhome and I am selling an Equal-i-zer on Craig's List. At my age the trailer was getting a bit much for me. You can't go wrong with a Prodigy Controller and a Equal-i-zer. Happy RV'ing
Mrt2607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:57 PM   #24
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
show deals aren't as good as they want you to think they are. Dealers will do just as good if not better. They have to if they want to sell anything. Take your time and sit in one for awhile and imagine "living" in it. Find what you like, Google the model on your phone and see what dealers asking prices are for comparison
X 2 Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:04 PM   #25
Wing******69

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANShark42 View Post
Congratulations! Have fun at the show. Enjoy your new CAMPER when you get one!!!
Whatever that is.
Wingleader69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:27 PM   #26

Compare prices on units within a several hours drive. We live in Alabama but purchased at RV World Of Georgia. Saved over $3000 by driving three hours.

Just remember if you buy from the show, that unit has had thousands of people walking through it, opening everything and abusing it. I'd expect a big discount on that, now well used unit. Don't be afraid to walk and don't make it emotional.

Good luck, have fun and camp on.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:04 PM   #27

Well the show is over and we came home empty handed, well not really lots of literature and business cards. Sorry I wasn't very specific on what I was looking at. I was hoping to find a TT but wasn't sure as I was open to anything. Found a few we liked. The Wildwood Heritage Glen T300BH, T311QB, and the T312QBUD. Also liked the Imagine 2800BH by grand design, not crazy about the bunks right next to the door if the kids go to bed and we want to stay out by the fire, don't want to wake them on the way to bed. Had some nice features though. I am pulling with a 2014 Chevy crew cab 5.3 4x4, says 9600# towing capacity. The ones we looked at had an average of 7900#. Lightest being 6862 and the heaviest 8574. I figure I'm still in the clear. I was very impressed no dealer was pushy at all, most never even spoke to you. The manufacturer reps were very helpful. At this point we're going to sit back and sleep on it. Thank you all for your help and advice. It is greatly appreciated. Thanks Seth
Old 01-30-2016, 10:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Basically that is why you go to Camping shows. Get your feet wet ask a lot of questions and do your home work and make sure you have the tv to handle. Later RJD
Ace...are you still going Sunday morning at opening time? I was planning to be there Friday but the building contractor showed up early start installing my RV carport. Didn't finish because wind too much for them to handle 40 foot roof panels. We're definitely going to be there at opening time tomorrow (hope to get ahead of the church crowds).
Old 01-30-2016, 10:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra360PDEK View Post
Compare prices on units within a several hours drive. We live in Alabama but purchased at RV World Of Georgia. Saved over $3000 by driving three hours.

Just remember if you buy from the show, that unit has had thousands of people walking through it, opening everything and abusing it. I'd expect a big discount on that, now well used unit. Don't be afraid to walk and don't make it emotional.

Good luck, have fun and camp on.

It's funny to hear you talk about the show units and them now being used with all the abuse they go through. We went and visited a dealer we had seen a few weeks ago at the show in norcross. We went with one model in mind, the same TT from the show was on there lot and the items that were broken on the unit from the show were still broken on their lot. Thought they would have fixed the issues so when people came to look at the unit it would be in like new condition for immediate sale.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:24 PM   #30

We too are home from the show, we live 2.5 hours away. Overall it wasn't too bad. As Seth stated the dealers were pleasant and not pushy. We saw several toy haulers that may interest us in the future. However my main hope was to see a lot of parts and accessories and that didn't happen. This was our 2nd RV show and both of them lacked parts and accessories. Its about like the last few gun shows I have went to, mainly trinket and jerky shows. Lol
Old 01-31-2016, 12:33 AM   #31

Just to add my 2 cents regarding RV Shows and their pricing. We had went to the St. Louis, Missouri RV Show a couple weeks ago and had found a nice unit we liked. Talked to the Salesman, got the figures, very little haggling was accomplished, as they were set on their "very minute" Show Sale Price. We were satisfied with the unit we saw, but not the bottom line finance figures they gave us. They were giving us a decent trade-in value on our trade-in, and I wrote down the figures to use to my advantage, at a later date, if needed. Even took a picture of the Show Price with my phone for reference.

What we did thereafter was came home and did some Internet searching. And then started making the calls. I spoke with to 2 different dealers, both 5 hours distance from our home, with 2 different selling prices.

I had stated I had recently been to the RV Show in St. Louis and was inquiring about the same unit they too had in stock. Told them of the deal I was presented with and they presented theirs as well. I asked my 1st dealer contact if they are competitive with other dealers, and she said YES. I told her of another TT I had also inquired with, but with a different interior color scheme ( not my favorite, but the price was better ), and the drive to either Dealer was the same regardless. Shortly thereafter I got the bottom line figures from my 2nd dealer contact, pitted them against each other, and used them to my advantage.

In conclusion, we picked up our new 2016 Cruise Lite 171rbxl today, as shown in my signature, with the interior color scheme we wanted, with an additional $2000 more knocked off their original Selling Price.

I would never have gotten this great of a deal at the RV Show. It truly does help to shop around and "come prepared", as it is said. We are truly "Happier Campers" today!

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:04 AM   #32

The first thing you need to do is make sure your truck can tow it.Better look at your gross vehicle weight for towing. Then look at the weight of the trailer and then add a 1000 pounds.Any thing over 3000 pounds you will need a elec brake.Add that into your expense
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:47 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinemanSeth View Post
Sorry if this has been a topic before, I new to the forum and to forums period. My wife and I are going to the show in Atlanta this weekend and are planning to purchase our first camper if one is found to suit our liking. I hear they give a great deal at the shows, much lower than at the dealer. Can I expect to still be able to haggle them down still and try to get a hitch and a break controller out of them. Also is it worth trying to get the lowest price out of them and walk off to check the internet for a better deal within a few hundred miles. Thanks for any help.

Seth
I would suggest you buy from a Dealer closes to your home !!!
You may have to take it back several times,,, before it is right ???
There are more important things than just the price !!!
If your plan is to buy a towable,,, make sure you know what your 1500 will tow !!!
GOOD LUCK !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:11 AM   #34

I second the thought to buy local. I know there are many who would disagree and buy from internet wholesalers and that is certainly their choice. But research this forum and see how many unhappy owners complain about trying to get local service when they didn't buy local. At the very least, research the dealer along with the camper. Might save you some grief someday.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:15 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinemanSeth View Post
Sorry if this has been a topic before, I new to the forum and to forums period. My wife and I are going to the show in Atlanta this weekend and are planning to purchase our first camper if one is found to suit our liking. I hear they give a great deal at the shows, much lower than at the dealer. Can I expect to still be able to haggle them down still and try to get a hitch and a break controller out of them. Also is it worth trying to get the lowest price out of them and walk off to check the internet for a better deal within a few hundred miles. Thanks for any help.

Seth
I went to a couple of shows and checked out Craigslist but ended up with a good price from a dealer 30 minutes from me. (All American Coach ) Toledo, Ohio, besides the price they threw in free Reese hitch and brake controller. I had a problem with the 7 pin connector and had cut all the wires off and replaced with a flat 4 type. They installed a new 7 pin and bracket at no cost. I'm very happy with the experience. At the time my TV was a 2000 f150.
retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:39 AM   #36

If you find something @ a price you are happy with,,, check with a local dealer,,, see if they will match it !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:50 PM   #37

I agree whole-heartedly with others here, regarding buying local due to the fact of possibly needing repair work done. In our area we have Local Dealers and then we also have Camper places that sell on consignment and service Warranty work on all TT's, regardless where it was bought. This is a plus for us.... in small town, USA.

Although we bought 5 hours away, we were fortunate enough to have bought where we are originally from, a big plus, thus having family in that area. So, to us, the trip back would not be a wasted trip as we can kill 2 birds with 1 stone, sort of speaking.

In the end what works best for one person, may not be feasible for the next. All scenarios are different, and the best you can hope for is to be happy and content with your decisions. "Happy Camping"!

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:47 PM   #38

Here is a good link to figure out what you truck can take payload wise. Since most trucks run out payload long before they hit the max tow. This will help you make a education guess about you truck can safely pull before you put your love ones in the truck. You still shouldn't exceed you max tow even if you truck can carry the weight.

Towing Calculator based on Truck's Payload/CCC - Towing Planner
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Here is a good link to figure out what you truck can take payload wise. Since most trucks run out payload long before they hit the max tow. This will help you make a education guess about you truck can safely pull before you put your love ones in the truck. You still shouldn't exceed you max tow even if you truck can carry the weight.

Towing Calculator based on Truck's Payload/CCC - Towing Planner

Thank you. Will fill in the blanks and see we're I'm at
Old 01-31-2016, 08:14 PM   #40

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1454289175.309541.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	98711Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1454289202.783705.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	98712Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1454289222.726743.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	98713

Not sure if I did something wrong but results are off.

Tags
camper, camping, show