Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #1

Going to camping show this weekend to buy first camper

Sorry if this has been a topic before, I new to the forum and to forums period. My wife and I are going to the show in Atlanta this weekend and are planning to purchase our first camper if one is found to suit our liking. I hear they give a great deal at the shows, much lower than at the dealer. Can I expect to still be able to haggle them down still and try to get a hitch and a break controller out of them. Also is it worth trying to get the lowest price out of them and walk off to check the internet for a better deal within a few hundred miles. Thanks for any help.

Seth
Old 01-28-2016, 12:52 PM   #2

From my past experiences, the show prices are generally very good but there's usually room for a little improvement.

Most all of them will honor the show pricing within some time afterwards. The best thing is if you already talk to them at the show and get a price, you can hang onto that the following week if you can't find anything better.

A hitch and a brake controller may be a little pricy but that all depends on how much camper you're buying. Don't let them give you a cheap model of each.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I'd stay away from the camper Inn display they are not a good dealer to deal with anymore(use to be Peco campers) There are plenty of post on dealer thread.

I doubt you could get both brake controller and hitch Starting to talk bucks here. Take lots of notes and write sown prices in case you do not buy at show. That way you will know if they changed there pricing after the show. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #4

We will be going to that RV show tomorrow. We own a 2013 Surveyor Sport 260 and are very happy with it. We do plan on a 5th wheel toy hauler in a few years. So we are mostly tire kickers for the time being. I do hope they have a lot of parts and accessories.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
Wing******69

Camper???

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinemanSeth View Post
Sorry if this has been a topic before, I new to the forum and to forums period. My wife and I are going to the show in Atlanta this weekend and are planning to purchase our first camper if one is found to suit our liking. I hear they give a great deal at the shows, much lower than at the dealer. Can I expect to still be able to haggle them down still and try to get a hitch and a break controller out of them. Also is it worth trying to get the lowest price out of them and walk off to check the internet for a better deal within a few hundred miles. Thanks for any help.

Seth
Not sure what you mean by camper. A camper is something that slides into the bed of a pick-up. A fifth wheel trailer attaches to a hitch in the bed of a pick-up. A trailer is something that hooks up to a hitch at the back end of a car or pick-up or van etc. Which are you interested in?
Wingleader69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #6

Not trying to tell another adult what to do, but you will probably have information and bs overload after attending a camper show. And yes, I used " camper" in the generic sense of anything other than a tent that you camp in. Suggest you look and talk and try to find the style that suits your needs. It could be a pop up, a hybrid, a travel trailer, a fiver, or a motor home. Making the wrong decision now could cost plenty later. Don't ask me how I know. Good luck in your search.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #7

Get them down to where you want to be. Don't be afraid to walk away. Don't believe the b/s that the 13000lb. 5th wheel is 1/2 ton towable. Lol.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:46 PM   #8

I really can't reply to your questions about price, however, I'd like to offer another thought or two. Our first TT was a Trailmanor, solid side popup, that towed easily with our Tacoma and it had a queen size bed where my wife or I had to climb over the other in the middle of the night for a bathroom break. That is not something we initially thought would be an issue, but it got old very quickly. The second TT was another Trailmanor popup with a king size bed which we loved. However, over a short time time, I was not able to muster the strength in my shoulders to do all the setup and takedown. We looked for another TT and almost bought a regular TT, but at the last minute decided it was too big for our Tacoma even though the salesman said "no problem." We ended up trading the Taco for a Forest River Lexington. We loved the overall size, bed, etc., but the handling in winds was terrible even after several expensive steering and suspension mods. Last July we bought our 4th RV, a Forest River Solera 24R and absolutely love it. Did I mention 4th RV--in 3 years. Yikes! We took a healthy "seminar" each time we traded. So my bottom line advice is, yes price is important. But try to be sure that what you are buying is well thought out and evaluated. We didn't. I hope this helps, and happy RVing.
David100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingleader69 View Post
Not sure what you mean by camper. A camper is something that slides into the bed of a pick-up. A fifth wheel trailer attaches to a hitch in the bed of a pick-up. A trailer is something that hooks up to a hitch at the back end of a car or pick-up or van etc. Which are you interested in?
All of those are campers to me !!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
X 2 It's also called a camper and RV show for this week end. Later RJD
Days camped 2019 62
Old 01-30-2016, 03:53 PM   #11
jkoenig24

Have you done any research on: RVTrader.com: RV Sales - Class A, B, C Motorhomes, Travel Trailers, & Pop Up Camper RVs For Sale ? If not, you should BEFORE you buy.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:23 PM   #12

Like other posts we ant from a popup to a hybrid to a 5th wheel in 4 years We kept the 5th wheel fir 5 year and just bought a new 5th for retirement living down south in the winter. An outdoor kitchen was manditory for us. As well as a nice bedroom that we could walk on both sides
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:30 PM   #13
Wing******69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Understand. It's just that to answer your question and help out with decision making, it's important to know specifically what you are interested in.

My personal experience with each of these is as follows;
I have had several three trailers and two fifth wheels. I have friends with Class C motorhomes and another with a class A motorhome and one who lives in N.H. with a camper. My wife and I are retired and we have decided that we will never have another trailer because they do not track near as well as well as a fifth-wheel and they we get about 6 more feet of living space in a fifth wheel because it overlaps the pick-up when hitched up. In other words, more living space in less overall length.

I would not choose a camper for us because we like long trips and like more living space than they afford. Also, depending on the size of the camper, you should have a dually pickup for stability. My friend uses his camper for hunting and getting to the back country dirt roads but his is a medium size camper that does not extend beyond the end of the truck bed.

My wife and I almost bought a motorhome but we decided we did not want to deal with fueling that behemoth at gas stations or being relegated to truck stops. Also, most people pull a car behind a motorhome so they can have convenient mobility to see the sites and park easily while exploring the areas they visit. We like to pull into an RV park and set up the fifth wheel (one button auto level is a great option!) and then drive to a near by gas station and fuel up our very nice diesel pick up and then treat ourselves to a nice dinner out.

My wife and I are retired and travel extensively now. I was a heavy equipment operator for much of my career and I still have a commercial license. I never get tired of seeing new places in our 34 RLS Cedar Creek fifth wheel and we love our new GMC 3500 HD Duramax truck.

Anyway, hope that helps with your decision. Best of luck to you and hope to see you on the road!!
Wingleader69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:19 PM   #14

Congratulations! Have fun at the show. Enjoy your new CAMPER when you get one!!!
10K WD Equal-i-zer Hitch
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273BH
LANShark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:22 PM   #15
Site Team

Make sure you report back with some pics of your new unit.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #16

Past experience has taught me to 1. have an idea what your looking for. 2. Don't get stuck on one dealer. Look around. and 3. Make SURE you pair what ever you get to your tow vehicle. A huge mistake can be made here. Believe me I know. Don't let a dealer tell you "sure you can tow that with that". All they care about is if you can get it off the lot.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:07 PM   #17

Everyone should do their home work before going to any RV show....Get the type/model etc of what you are looking for....then get a $$$ figure from the I/N dealer or local dealer then you have an idea what you should pay......Haggle!!!!!!!! J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:21 PM   #18

We bought our first and 2nd TT within the first year. The first decision was made on blind assumptions and its amazing what you learn in a short amount of time. Before we purchased the 2nd one I think we looked at about 100 units and spent hours on line. We love it but now I think its a bit large for our truck (which is also new this year). It all has been more expensive than we thought but for us it is totally worth it.
As far as price goes, take along a computer for comparison shopping or go home and do some research. Its not a bad idea to put a little emotional distance between you and the salesman. The RV folks are anxious to make a sale and I bet there is often a little wiggle room.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:32 PM   #19

Basically that is why you go to Camping shows. Get your feet wet ask a lot of questions and do your home work and make sure you have the tv to handle. Later RJD
Days camped 2019 62
Old 01-30-2016, 07:19 PM   #20
MCTroy

Good luck finding your new camper. Price is important, but I think livability is more important. It won't be a good deal of there isn't room for what is important to you. Where will the dogs lay, where will you put extra clothes, shoes, and equipment. Salespeople looked at me funny when we tested campers. I walked through the door as if I was holding a cooler or large bag. If I couldn't get through, we were done with that unit.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, camping, show