Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2018, 10:04 PM   #1

Going to Canada

Ok me and my family are leaving on the 11th of June going to Canada. Our first stop will be in or around north bay Ontario. Then up to lac Remigny in Quebec. But I want tips on what not to take across the border. I know about no fire arms no alcohol and we don’t use tobacco. We have been to where we are going before but never with a camper. Can anyone give us tips on what else not to take. Or even where to stay or not to stay in north bay. Thanks in advance for any and all comments
danielabram71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:08 PM   #2

Here is a good place to start: http://inspection.gc.ca/food/informa.../1389648516990
emjayuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:24 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Not sure what border crossing you’re using, but as a reference, Detroit to North Bay would be over 6 1/2 hours of drive time if there’s no traffic issues.

You’ve already mentioned no firearms, no alcohol, no smokes. Also, do not transport fresh meats or fruits or vegetables. Both countries have issues with fresh items going either direction, we always buy fresh stuff once we’re across the border, either direction.

Other than that.....no special issues. Passports are needed, and vehicle registration and insurance if asked. You are good to go, so enjoy.

Sorry can’t help with any particular campground recommendations.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:45 PM   #4

Thanks. We will be going through buffalo ny. I think we are going to stay at sturgeon falls koa close to north bay
danielabram71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:48 PM   #5

Small amounts of alcohol within the legal limit is no problem. No idea about tobacco, we don't smoke.

Fresh meat, fruit and vegetables are not allowed but hit and miss - better to use them or toss them before you cross. We personally haven't had any issues yet.

Non restricted firearms must be declared at the border and are subject to a fee. Do not even consider bringing handguns, restricted or illegal weapons into the country. Best is to leave all firearms and ammo at home, makes the whole process much smoother.

Prescriptions aren't an issue as long as they are in the original packaging with the travelers name on it, I don't think they will ask for the prescription.

Cats and dogs should be vaccinated, but we were never asked to produce the paperwork for our pooch.

Do not wear sunglasses at the border crossing, I don't know why but border officials on both sides seem to be "allergic" to them.

Fill your fuel tank and a jerry can before you cross the border, your wallet will appreciate it.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:09 AM   #6

We had our dry dog food confiscated coming BACK into US last year. It was purchased in US, but we put it in a bin (not original packaging.) So we had to make our first stop Petsmart on the US side of the border or hungry doggies.
GLBCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:31 AM   #7

I think I would take the vaccination paperwork for any pets....just in case. It's a good thing to have on any camping trip.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #8

Get your vehicle insurance company to send you the certificate that verifies you have insurance coverage while in Canada. It is free. If by any chance you have an accident while in Canada that form will be invaluable. Ask me how I know[emoji853]

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Get your vehicle insurance company to send you the certificate that verifies you have insurance coverage while in Canada. It is free. If by any chance you have an accident while in Canada that form will be invaluable. Ask me how I know[emoji853]

I asked farm bureau for a form and they told me my policy was all I had to carry. Canada is a pretty country and hardly ever see trash along the highways. We had no trouble crossing the border, smile and don’t volunteer any information, just let the border guards to there job.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:03 AM   #10

Do not take mace or pepper spray , It is considered a weapon in Canada and will be confiscated.
Been there and done that.
LOL
Old 02-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #11

Canada customs seems less "interested" than US Customs. That being said don't bring fire wood.
Go UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:44 AM   #12

We made the crossing last year at Detroit to Windsor. We traveled from Georgia with 2 overnight stops. I planned it so that we had enough food for those 2 nights, nothing more. No fresh or frozen food in the fridge. Had insurance statement, passports, etc. We just stopped at a grocery store near the campground and resupplied. Did the same thing going back into the U.S. No problems coming or going, although I have read horror stories. But I think as long as you are pleasant, answer questions asked, you should be fine. In theory the worst that would happen is they pull you aside and go through your "stuff". Just a bit of a delay. We plan to make the same trip this year in May.
dlwilliams48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:12 PM   #13

Not quite off topic, I have only crossed the border twice with an RV. The first time, my usual crossing, the Peace Bridge. On the way into the US pulled up to the Cars/RVs location no problem, nothing but clothes (love Wegmans, as did the border guard). On the way back into Canada (Peace Bridge again) no RV/Car lane, any lane will do. Got the guard ticked at me crossing at Niagara Falls where Canada has an RV lane which I did not notice because with my extensive knowledge I thought it was a US thing. So, my quick question is: Do most border crossing have a RV lane that I should be looking for?
Go UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
Do not take mace or pepper spray , It is considered a weapon in Canada and will be confiscated.
Been there and done that.
LOL
Unless you have bear spray. We went through Canada to Yellowstone NP. Mace and Pepper spray will get confiscated but if you declare bear spray and it's over 7.5 oz they are good with it. We had a 9 oz can, didn't have to show it to them, just declare it.
Schwartzworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #15
Just as confused as you

"Do not wear sunglasses at the border crossing, I don't know why but border officials on both sides seem to be "allergic" to them."
They don't have a problem with their own.

"Fill your fuel tank and a jerry can before you cross the border, your wallet will appreciate it."
After converting liters to gallons and kilometers to miles, there isn't that much difference in cost.

I've been to Canada several times for 5 to 7 days and carried a 6 oz bag of pipe tobacco each time. They have been fine with that amount even though I come back with some left. I believe they allow a carton of cigarettes for each smoker. Tobacco is allowed within limits. No more than what you consume in the time of your stay.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielabram71 View Post
Thanks. We will be going through buffalo ny. I think we are going to stay at sturgeon falls koa close to north bay
Lots of French speaking folk up that way. Nice area. Enjoy!
JaysFan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #17
DDC

I’ve made that crossing many times, if you forget any documentation they can somehow tell and will ask for it, (rabies cert) was my problem once also lost dog food once because I had put it in a bucket. You are allowed duty free booze just don’t go over and declare it and be honest and don’t answer questions that are not asked.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:32 PM   #18

North Bay resident here. If I can give you any particular info on the area just ask. The KOA in Sturgeon is nice but I hope you have a chance to try one of our beautiful Provincial Parks.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
"Do not wear sunglasses at the border crossing, I don't know why but border officials on both sides seem to be "allergic" to them."
They don't have a problem with their own.

"Fill your fuel tank and a jerry can before you cross the border, your wallet will appreciate it."
After converting liters to gallons and kilometers to miles, there isn't that much difference in cost.

I've been to Canada several times for 5 to 7 days and carried a 6 oz bag of pipe tobacco each time. They have been fine with that amount even though I come back with some left. I believe they allow a carton of cigarettes for each smoker. Tobacco is allowed within limits. No more than what you consume in the time of your stay.

Diesel was right much higher last year. I carry a 100 gallon tank that’s full when I cross the border. Canada isvvery pretty and met some of the nicest people. Border guards were great to us, maybe it’s because I look a little dumb
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada