Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #1

Good Price for 18LT?

Have my eye on an 2005 Forest River 18LT Toyhauler. Does $8,000 sound like a good price.

This will be my first camper. I grew up camping with parents who had almost every different class of travel trailer at one time or another. For my lifestyle a Toyhauler is the best choice. Thanks for any feedback.
wickedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and good luck with your purchase. According to the NADA guide for RV's, http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHom...=61357&nozip=1, retail price is between 6800 and 8200. Doesn't sound like a great deal based solely on that. You are the one that has the whole picture, and what options the trailer has, if any. Also check tires, propane, sewer hose, water line, electric cord, etc. Get a determination of needed maintenance and repairs, such as brakes, re caulk seems and windows. These things cost and can add up in a hurry. Before you buy, I would plug it and run everything, air, heat, microwave, and refer for 24 hours if possible. Put water in the tank and run the pump. Check city water connection. Check all line for leaks. Roll the awning out and look for holes or wear. It's a heavy trailer for it's size, have you got enough tow vehicle? Can you rent it for a week-end? We just bought a brand new 2008 Work and Play 18LT for around double what your deal is. We added tie downs, wheel chocks, extra water and sewer hose, electrical extension, tool box on the tongue. This stuff cost over $500. The advantage to new is a warranty. Think about things you will have to add, but that comes with new or used. Is it a good deal, not to me, not on what you have posted. You'll have to look at all the options and make that determination for yourself. Hope this helps.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:46 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Hello, and good luck with your purchase. According to the NADA guide for RV's, http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHom...=61357&nozip=1, retail price is between 6800 and 8200. Doesn't sound like a great deal based solely on that. You are the one that has the whole picture, and what options the trailer has, if any. Also check tires, propane, sewer hose, water line, electric cord, etc. Get a determination of needed maintenance and repairs, such as brakes, re caulk seems and windows. These things cost and can add up in a hurry. Before you buy, I would plug it and run everything, air, heat, microwave, and refer for 24 hours if possible. Put water in the tank and run the pump. Check city water connection. Check all line for leaks. Roll the awning out and look for holes or wear. It's a heavy trailer for it's size, have you got enough tow vehicle? Can you rent it for a week-end? We just bought a brand new 2008 Work and Play 18LT for around double what your deal is. We added tie downs, wheel chocks, extra water and sewer hose, electrical extension, tool box on the tongue. This stuff cost over $500. The advantage to new is a warranty. Think about things you will have to add, but that comes with new or used. Is it a good deal, not to me, not on what you have posted. You'll have to look at all the options and make that determination for yourself. Hope this helps.

That site is really useful. I would caution anyone using it that since the economy has hit the dumpster that the pricing on this site is most likely higher than actual dealer prices. Just for kicks I priced mine out and it was really high compared to what dealers are listing it for a New 2008. $25,000 higher but they're not trying to move inventory. But it is a good place to get the price on the options included. Thanks for the info.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:09 AM   #4

Thanks for the info

Has new tires & bearings. I will check the other things you suggested. Sewer hose, electric cable, spare, wheel chokes are all included. Will be pulling with a Silverado 5.3 liter.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to dig a little deeper and negotiate a little harder. I will offer $7,000 if everything checks out.
wickedone is offline   Reply With Quote