Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2019, 12:49 AM   #41

I believe part of the issue at least in my area is they paid so low for years that all the local tow operators decline when they get the call... then when they call back the second or third time because no one wants to deal with them they jack the rate up a bunch and if good sam says yes they get a nice pay day. Tow operator said my tow was about 75 but because I went through good sam. It was 450. I also expect they want kick backs from repair shops as well. To me they always seemed to worried about where I was going to end up vs listening to what I wanted or needed in the tow. They almost rather tow 2x the distance vs to me house 5 miles away
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:00 AM   #42

I keep it mostly for the im in the middle of no where and need a 300 mile tow. Honestly if I use them again claim I'll just ask for a reimbursement as the first tow. Took 2hrs for them to find me a truck at 1am... and the second time about 3 hrs and I could literally see the tow truck yard from where my wheel bearing blew. Looking back the epic where are you? I don't understand. Let me find your account, oh your a xtz member awesome we can upgrade you to the next highest package, sales pitch What is wrong ok here are 3 options for repairs after waiting on hold for 20 min.

Should have just called tow place yeah I need to go about 5 miles... ok 50 to pick and 2.50 a mile, oh that's you waiving... be right there.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:51 AM   #43

Mine was also cancelled because of overuse. 2 tows and 2 tire changes. (They did not cover there vehicle repairs or fixing the flats.)

Interesting that Good Sam also refused to renew my maintenance agreement on RV because it's gotten too old. It's a 2012.

I got a service agreement with Coach-Net and notice that they, up front, include a limit for how many times you an get service. At least I know what my limits are and can decide whether or not to use them.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:52 AM   #44
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by desuhu View Post
I don't know if your friend is the same one as mine, but she just told me yesterday that her Good Sam's Roadside Assistance canceled them because they had 3 tows and a flat with their RV and truck over a 7 yr period. I am definitely cancelling my Good Sam's when it expires in July.
Considering you live in KS and I live in MA, I seriously doubt its the same person.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:56 AM   #45

If I’m not mistaken Good Sam is owned by Camping world. That right there explains everything. Horrible company and very untrustworthy.
Tim wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim wen View Post
If I’m not mistaken Good Sam is owned by Camping world. That right there explains everything. Horrible company and very untrustworthy.
Perhaps your experience with one or two of above companies locations was not satisfactory, but have you done business with all of them? I have had great experiences with CW and Good Sam at several locations across the country. So I can't paint all of them with a broad brush saying they are fantastic everywhere, and vice versa.

And every insurance or road service company will either raise your rates or cancel you after whatever they think are too many claims.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:13 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Perhaps your experience with one or two of above companies locations was not satisfactory, but have you done business with all of them? I have had great experiences with CW and Good Sam at several locations across the country. So I can't paint all of them with a broad brush saying they are fantastic everywhere, and vice versa.

And every insurance or road service company will either raise your rates or cancel you after whatever they think are too many claims.
That may depend on whether you have a stand alone policy with them or you are insuring multiple items with them. If you have insurance on home, several vehicles, RV, boat, etc, you may not get cancelled just because you have one too many car accidents. Your rate(s) may go up but not necessarily cancelled.

As for carrying roadside assistance insurance on from a separate company, why? I get coverage for my trailer through my tow vehicle insurance. I get offerings every month from GS, NRA, AARP, and all the other insurance companies doing business in my state with this kind of offering. They just fill up my paper recycling bin. The minute you register a new RV with your State DMV, you're on the mailing list. They all look good until you read the fine print. If you have coverage from an insurance company that is enjoying your business from other coverage(s) they're going to take better care of you.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:29 PM   #48

Seems like Good Sam is mostly a marketing organization

Last time I checked my insurance, I checked in with Good Sam (I have Progressive, referred there by USAA). Their site quoted a good rate but when I went to purchase, the site couldn't do the deal. Instead, I was referred to a commissioned sales agent operating out of Missouri and the price escalated rapidly. Plus the guy couldn't stop offering upsells. Just reportin'
Nail56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:30 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail56 View Post
Last time I checked my insurance, I checked in with Good Sam (I have Progressive, referred there by USAA). Their site quoted a good rate but when I went to purchase, the site couldn't do the deal. Instead, I was referred to a commissioned sales agent operating out of Missouri and the price escalated rapidly. Plus the guy couldn't stop offering upsells. Just reportin'
Doesn't sound strange. Insurance Companies are usually regulated by State Insurance Commissions and rates are approved by that office. Only companies approves/licensed to do business in the state you reside in are allowed to sell insurance or write policies.

A rate quoted by a "Marketing Company" like Good Sam, AARP, etc, may work in some states but in others you get handed off as you were and you are now going to get the rates approved in YOUR state.

As for the "upsells", hey, they're salesmen. That's what they do for a living. You can always do like Nancy Reagan suggested and "just say no".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:09 PM   #50

Thumbs down They Cut Me Loose Too

True story, it happened to me.
One jump start, two towings and bye-bye.
They sent the same form letter to me and the DW.
PokinFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:51 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post

X2
Robbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good sam, led