Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #1
Green Horn

Good Sam Club Auto Insurance

Anybody ever use Good Sam for Auto/Rv Insurance if so, what was your experience with them if you had a claim. They currently are beating my Allstate Auto by 200.00 and this is apple for apple.
kevin211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:53 PM   #2

I use national general insurance thru good Sam. No complaints as they have handled our claims promptly and satisfactory
Malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:33 PM   #3

Good Sam/Camping World is an insurance broker. My insurance thru them is Progressive. Cost was reasonable for full replacement value with a low deductible.
Awchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:55 PM   #4

Good Sam Insurance

I recently had an issue w/Good Sam/National General... My policy was from 2/26/18 - 2/26/19... I bought a new coach in April ‘18 and in Dec ‘18 they said I was delinquent $20 for the transfer between coaches... they were going to cancel my policy as of 19 Jan ‘19... when I called, they said, “we’ve sent you emails...” I told them it had been 8 months w/o any notice... no apology, just pay the $20... oh, & they’re raising my rate w/no claims again... x3 years... going to Progressive - same rate but it includes roadside assistance...
RRGuy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:22 AM   #5

Insurance thru GS

Went with their "brokered" company the first year. 2nd year, rate substantially increased: "A general rate increase".
Went to Allstate.
Ohinaz1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:21 AM   #6
"On the road again"

I went with Good Sam six or seven years ago for our RV and all of our vehicles.

After year one, it increased 15% with no explanation. Year two, another 28% increase and then I had one minor ($1,200) claim.

The next year it MORE THAN QUADRUPLED and that's when I dropped them like a hot potato. I personally think they're entire company (and all of their ventures is a scam) and they're in big financial trouble. But, that's simply my opinion and I believe here in these United States each person is entitled to opinions.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:05 PM   #7
MCTroy

Interesting topic and very timely. We were considering moving to Good Sam insurance for the TT. The way it is insured now I have a deductable for damage to the trailer, another deductable for contents, and no flood insurance. We are with Allstate. Service ok, but I think we are not properly insured.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #8
waybeck2018

I have heard too many negative comments about Good Sam Insurance, brokered or not. My experience with Progressive has been excellent over the years. Steady rates for both RV and boat coverage. I would suggest Progressive for coverages.
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:42 PM   #9

When I bought my rig 4yrs ago USSA put me in Progressive.I saw the add in Motor Home magazine for insurance through GS that you pay one rate for storage and when you come out of storage there was a slight increase for the month and then back to the storage rate when returned would b, e reduced, confirmed by the salesmqn. We use the RV 4 times a yr for 2 wks at a time it seemed like a pretty good deal. Good luck with that, when I called to tell them I was taking rig out of storage for two weeks my rate went up $900.00. I cancelled and went right back to Progressive. National General who else?

a
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #10

We went through USAA and also Good Sam. rates are always going to increase year after year no matter who you have
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:44 PM   #11

Insurance

I just switched from Met Life to Progressive saved about $ 500 . They also gave me a better quote than Good Sams Club. You need to shop around and compare apples for apples. Good Luck
Take the longway home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:33 PM   #12
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Interesting topic and very timely. We were considering moving to Good Sam insurance for the TT. The way it is insured now I have a deductable for damage to the trailer, another deductable for contents, and no flood insurance. We are with Allstate. Service ok, but I think we are not properly insured.
we also have Allstate, we are happy just looking around
kevin211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:32 PM   #13
Global Nomad

I used Good Sam insurance (National General) the first year I had my 5th wheel. In Florida some guy tried to pass me on the right as I was merging back from passing a vehicle. He passed my RV but hit the front of my Truck. Notified National General immediately and took the truck to RAM dealer for repairs. Agent assigned immediately, but in 2 time zones away. Said it would be a week before appraiser could look at vehicle. They needed him to take pictures. I am full time and told her that was not acceptable. Told her truck at repair facility, internet available and repair facility can send photos and estimates. Two time zones away means I could not even talk to adjuster until 11:00 AM local time. National did allow photo's over internet, and worked out deal with RAM dealer.

Assigning me an adjuster 2 time zones away was not acceptable, and went with GEICO the next year.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:56 AM   #14

Insurance for RV

I have had Allstate which paid good on claims and when went with USAA they covered the 5th wheel when totaled. I have USAA but it is with progressive as USAA will not insure driven RV'S. Interesting is that progressive is owned by USAA.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:06 AM   #15

Good Sam/National General continually increased my premiums. No claims. Called Geico out of curiosity and they were $500 less for better coverage. Switched immediately. I'll see what they do next due date.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:39 AM   #16
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkaty View Post
We went through USAA and also Good Sam. rates are always going to increase year after year no matter who you have

Not with my Farm Bureau insurance. We haven't had a rate increase in at least 3 years. Maybe your comment is applicable to your insurance company but not mine.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #17

When it is apples to apples you can easily compare. What is important to me is replacement value as opposed to actual cash value. If RV is financed and totaled they can give you much less then you owe.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
Not with my Farm Bureau insurance. We haven't had a rate increase in at least 3 years. Maybe your comment is applicable to your insurance company but not mine.
Is that for Farmers only?
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:10 PM   #19

GS, like me, is simply an insurance agency - nothing more. They, or myself, can't give you some 'discount' that the insurer doesnt' already offer to every other customer, but GS is simply using their 'brand' to sell insurance, and make commissions, just like I do.

Your local agent/agency or insurer who already insures your home and/or RV is usually the best place to START for insurance - not necessarily a company that you've never yet dealt with. The internet is a good place to 'compare', but sometimes not the best place to 'buy' - as you are a number, not a customer, like at your local agency.

Insurers also don't really care 'who' you purchased your RV insurance thru, whether GS, directly online, or thru your local agent/agency - their claims and billing departments are no different no matter which you choose, and your state doesn't allow them to treat you differently than anyone else simply by 'how' you purchased your policy.

enjoy : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:10 PM   #20

Like others have used National General, Progressive Nationwide and others. Three years ago went with GEICO, Two cars and Class C MH. Saved $400 first year. Rate went up $20 (yes twenty) dollars second year and just got new rates for next year and rate WENT DOWN repeat down $40. Think I'll stay with them. BTW if you own a Forester product you get additional discount (both companies owned by Berkshire Hathway).

Everyone is good at something... I happen to be a good bad example.
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good sam, insurance