Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2017, 05:23 PM   #1

Good Sam TravelAssist worth the money ??

"Good Sam TravelAssist": Have never bought this and was wondering who has this and if anyone has used it and is it worth the money.
Red Hot Summer Deal offer of $59.99 for the year.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:31 PM   #2

I have had this for 3 years and haven't had to use it thank goodness. I bought this because of my heart condition.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I have had this for 3 years and haven't had to use it thank goodness. I bought this because of my heart condition.
Hope you're doing well !
Old 07-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #4

I am doing quite well but the travel assist adds some peace of mind.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 07-29-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
Cardinal Gerry

Insurance is insurance. When you need it, you need it.
It's kind of like if you need a parachute and don't have one, you'll never need one again.
Peace of mind is worth it, we've had it for several years.
GerryReviea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:12 PM   #6

Ours was free for the first year because of our purchase. We will be renewing it just in case.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:15 PM   #7

We had for several years primarily for peace of mind, but FMCA provides essentially the same thing for nothing. If you don't belong, you may be able to after this year, even if you have a towable. Good luck!
RLHAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:23 PM   #8

We got a year free of the GS Roadside assist service with the purchase of our travel trailer from Camping World. I will share my experience. I know it's not the travel assist, but it's probably directed by the same people.

TV broke down just south of Kennewick, WA. Called the number and was welcomed by a rude agent. Agent kept asking me "What do you need sir?" I asked what my options were - "What do you want sir?'. Finally I said get me off the Highway and move my trailer to the "secure and safe overnight storage". They asked for my member number, but I didn't have my card so I had to fish out my contract for that. They won't help you without the number. Wrecker came and towed us to the secure storage, A WALMART PARKING LOT. They left TV and trailer there, stating the Walmart has a service center that will fix the vehicle upon opening. Turns out the "service center" only installs tires and does oil/lube. I had to pay to tow my TV to a dealer. Never received a followup or call from Good Sam regarding my situation. Never saw a bill. (So far.) So next time I plan to just call a wrecker to come and get me off the highway. Even the tow guy said it would have been easier and cheaper for me rather than all the stress of dealing with a no-name insurance company that didn't want to honor their policy. (they are supposed to tow the TV to the nearest "service center" that can actually fix the truck.) And a Walmart parking lot? Is that really "safe and secure" storage. At night there were teens drinking and doing burnouts in the parking lot. Glad this was a free 1 year service, I won't be paying for it to renew.

Now to your situation - for the travel assist, If I needed to do that I would just call 911. You will get a better response and avoid the rude folks at GS. It would probably also be less stressful because they can bring in Police, fire, air-lift, etc. depending upon your situation. GS will probably send you a milk truck. YMMV but I was totally disappointed with this no-name insurance. There's a reason it's cheap.
DNA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:30 PM   #9

YES! First year we had it I fell off a ladder in Florida broke my foot and needed to get back to Michigan for surgery ASAP. Called travel assist and in less than 4 hours had the ok to have trailer towed back to Michigan at no charge to us. Trailer just about beat me home. The whole process was very smooth and hassle free.
walljammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:43 PM   #10

Yes, we have used it. When we returned from our 3 month trip, our truck that was parked in the garage was totally dead. I called Good Sam and they inquired as to if I wanted a start or a tow. I insisted that all it needed was a jump. Within a half hour, the service got us started. We had AAA in the past and needed a jump under the same circumstances. The same service truck showed up. We were pretty satisfied with both, but Good Sam offers a better bang for the buck. AAA did not cover the RV nor a trailer. Good Sam offers the service for both. In a medical emergency while travelling, they will get your vehicle back home. That's good for some peace of mind.

The one thing I found about their plans is that they have multiple offers. If you let the service run out, you will get a better offer. Your rate of under $60 is a sweet deal. Jump on it.

Along these lines, we also had On Star for several reasons other than road service. It only covered the Silverado. But when we got back from Florida, we were notified that we were no longer in possession of our Silverado, so they were cancelling our plan. Note, we had auto renew and auto payments from checking-we were current. I checked the garage and sure enough, our truck was still there. I wrote back but they never responded. So, we are saving a bit more every month. It may have been that because of the dead battery, they were not able to see it. Rather than ask, they must have assumed it had gone to Silverado heaven and cancelled.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:57 PM   #11

Its worth the money only if you need it. Just like any other insurance. Hate to spend the money and not need it. Hate to need it.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:15 PM   #12

Just so everyone knows, Good Sam Travel Assist is for medical emergencies on the road, not for roadside assistance for your RV or tow vehicle.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 07-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Just so everyone knows, Good Sam Travel Assist is for medical emergencies on the road, not for roadside assistance for your RV or tow vehicle.
Correct. We have both and have used th Road Service a few times with good results. We have never needed the Travel Assist but since DW can't/won't drive the MH, I keep it for peace of mind. Being stuck 1000 miles from home and no way to get home is no longer a worry for us.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:32 PM   #14

No thanks GS

I've found over the years that 3rd party services(in this case)rarely go well.Call 911-pay the wrecker-keep on going.Money saved.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:37 PM   #15

I have roadside assistance, and it was good when I needed it. My parents have travel assist, and it was great when they needed it. Dad had an atv accident in New Mexico, and wasn't able to drive his tv and tt home to southeast Texas. The travel assist would have paid for a company to do that for him. But, he wasn't comfortable with that. So, they paid for my husband and myself to travel there in our car and drive his rig and our car back to Texas. Included hotel room there and back, gas, meals and snacks.it was hassle-free. Just show receipts. It's worth the money.
WildAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:18 PM   #16

Good Sam TravelAssist worth the money ??

I have my own "Good Sam Travel Assist": my wife is a paramedic! She never leaves home without her trauma bag!

2017 Cherokee 294BH
2015 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4L V8 Crew Cab
Moparman1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:33 AM   #17

Thanks for the replies folks, sometimes it helps to get multiple perspectives.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAggie View Post
I have roadside assistance, and it was good when I needed it. My parents have travel assist, and it was great when they needed it. Dad had an atv accident in New Mexico, and wasn't able to drive his tv and tt home to southeast Texas. The travel assist would have paid for a company to do that for him. But, he wasn't comfortable with that. So, they paid for my husband and myself to travel there in our car and drive his rig and our car back to Texas. Included hotel room there and back, gas, meals and snacks.it was hassle-free. Just show receipts. It's worth the money.
I can't imagine you're referring to the Good Sam Travel Assist or Roadside Assistance. They left me abandoned in a Walmart parking lot. I called and asked if they would pay for hotel, "sorry sir we don't cover that". What about a rental car to get me to my destination? "sorry sir that isn't covered either." All they do is get you off the highway and bring you to the nearest Walmart. Much easier to just pay a wrecker for that. I'd really like to hear from someone who has used the Travel Assist and had a medical emergency. Did they leave you at Walmart to use the OTC pharmacy for medical care? .
DNA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:26 PM   #19

Smile Good Sam Travel Assist

Join FMCA and travel assist is included in your dues.....The rule that you have to own a MH is suppose to be changed....Dues are less than or about
the same plus you get many other benefits..

gtony2
gtony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:02 AM   #20

Had Good Sam road assistance Used them for a blowout on the 5th wheel & 3 Dead battery starts in 2 years & they cancelled my coverage. The dead batteries were twice on the truck & once on the car.

Tags
good sam, travel