Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #21

Good Sam Roadside - My Choice

Last year before I went to the Northwest Territories I was concerned about towing because my car insurance only covers a tow for 10 miles and then the tow is billed at around $4.50 (USD) per mile.

I checked out KOA and Good Sam. KOA did not even want to hear that I was going to expect a tow in the Northwest Territories, and Good Sam agreed to unlimited mileage towing anywhere in North America.

Thus I went with Good Sam, and fortunately I did not need a tow. For example is over 300 miles (US mileage) between Fort Providence, NT, and Yellowknife, NT, and there is nothing in between those locations for service. It was nice not to worry about how far I would need to be towed, or how much it would cost. I got the plan for a year for $79.00 (USD).

2008 GMC 2500 Sierra Heavy Duty
2015 Flagstaff TT - 34ft.
NWT Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpapa View Post
Just like BamaBob, we prefer Coach-Net.
We also support Coach-Net, they came with our FR product when new and that good advertising worked on me.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:10 PM   #23

Just about every tow service use the same people, it just counts on the plan and cost, I use good Sams. They know trailers and campers and I would assume that KOA would use the same vendors if you had a problem. Depends in the long run if it's introductory price or they will keep it like Good Sams.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:16 PM   #24
Georgetown 280

We have CoachNet and have had to use them twice. Excellent service and response.
MikeFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFerg View Post
We have CoachNet and have had to use them twice. Excellent service and response.
Well you were lucky and I'm glad for you, when my trailer was new I had a blow out, I called Coach net they sent a guy in a car to change my tire the kicker is that he asked me if I had a jack? I said no he said well I can't help you long story short after 2 hrs I called a private tow service and and paid the bill. Coach net did give me the money back, but after 2hrs they contacted me and said they couldn't get anyone for a couple of more hrs, I told them it is repaired and I'm on my way. That's why I didn't renew with them after the freebe. I guess there is good and bad with any service anymore that is just a fact we all have to deal with..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:58 PM   #26
StlClay

AAA left me hanging saying they had no one in area. When police got me a tow turns out he was AAA approved. Even then when I submitted bill for re-imbursment they only paid a portion. Needless to say did not renew. Used Good Sam once just for my truck and service was excellent, especially the follow up. You can always get a few free months if you hold off on your renewals until they call you. Know nothing about KOA but promotional first year deals are common for all.

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:53 PM   #27

I've had Good Sam for over 30 years and had been well pleased with their service. I've had them pull me out of mud, change tires & tow my car to the fix it shop when it broke down. When my car broke down, they called the police to come out and direct traffic, called the repair shop to let them know they were towing in my car. When you brake down towing a trailer, they tow both vehicles.

Tom & Robbie
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:04 AM   #28

They told me that the camper and boat tra iler had to be disable. What can go wrong with them other then the wheels falling off
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:08 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenenn View Post
Truck broke down on interstate with 5th wheel. GS sent two vehicles, towed truck to dealer, towed 5th to RV Park. Great service, no issues. Also used GS 4 other times for flats and lock out over the 6 years that we have GS Roadside service. Never a problem and always quick service.
That's good to hear
Old 03-24-2016, 07:13 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
AAA Premier, required for RV, will not cover boat trailers. GoodSam Roadside Assistance will.

I know.

My only problem with any of them is that they won't let you give location in GPS coordinates. I was on unknown stretch of 2 lane in some remote area of Louisiana, and boat trailer tire blew. When I FINALLY gave GS some kind of mile marker etc, they came........in 2 hours. But then, I was 1 hour from Shreveport, and further from any other major town with a tire truck. But they came. AAA won't.
When I purchase Triple AAA Plus RV I was told that both trailers and campers was included but I would be charged to toes but when I broke down with boat and camper they didn't not want to go either one of them I had to file a suit against them and they reimburse me then I just dropped the RV Part but keep aaa plus
Old 03-24-2016, 07:33 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenenn View Post
Truck broke down on interstate with 5th wheel. GS sent two vehicles, towed truck to dealer, towed 5th to RV Park. Great service, no issues. Also used GS 4 other times for flats and lock out over the 6 years that we have GS Roadside service. Never a problem and always quick service.
BINGO!! Anyone with a travel trailer or fifth wheel that is considering roadside assistance from anyone other than Coach-Net or Good Sam had better find out if that ERS will do something with the RV if the truck breaks down. I've heard stories about some roadside services leaving the RV on the side of the road when they towed the truck to a repair facility.

For motorhome owners I don't think it matters who you use for ERS.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
BINGO!! Anyone with a travel trailer or fifth wheel that is considering roadside assistance from anyone other than Coach-Net or Good Sam had better find out if that ERS will do something with the RV if the truck breaks down. I've heard stories about some roadside services leaving the RV on the side of the road when they towed the truck to a repair facility.

For motorhome owners I don't think it matters who you use for ERS.
Happen to me twice with aaa plus rv
Old 03-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #33
Puzzlme

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
We prefer Coach-Net
What about Coach Net do you like? (Just wondering for clarification) AMA here in Canada has limited towing radius while Coach Net and GS have unlimited. My RV came with a free year of CN, which I didn't have to access, I tried GS the following year and haven't had to call on them either. I'm up for renewal and wondering about who to go with.

https://rhodaventure.com/

2013 Sunseeker 3010DS
2014 - 15,000 Kilometers (9360 Miles) Alberta through the US to E. coast, up into Atlantic Canada, Newfoundland and back.
2015 - 2 great trips so far. Alberta to Oregon coast, Alberta to Shushwap in BC.
Puzzlme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:46 PM   #34

We had GS and called twice, one for tow, in town. They said 3 to 4 hours. he Police called and we had tow in 15 min. This was for the SUV. Called for a flat and again 3 to 4 hours in town. I changed it.
Have AAA they towed the MH two different times, about 100 miles each time. The second time they had no one and had to pay out of pocket, reimbursement took 2 weeks.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:53 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMor View Post
We had GS and called twice, one for tow, in town. They said 3 to 4 hours. he Police called and we had tow in 15 min. This was for the SUV. Called for a flat and again 3 to 4 hours in town. I changed it.
Have AAA they towed the MH two different times, about 100 miles each time. The second time they had no one and had to pay out of pocket, reimbursement took 2 weeks.

Frank
Do you recall how long you had to wait for AAA to respond?
Anderson Ultimate Fifth-Wheel hitch
Old Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:31 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bill View Post
BillyBass... I have the AAA RV Plus coverage, but haven't had to use it yet. What was the problem you had with AAA? Was it that there wasn't a towing service who could tow your trailer, or that there was no service at all, or something else?
No there was towing service they towed my truck but not my boat trailer or camper .If you read the small print in the book it states the rv has to be disable.What can go wrong on them but the wheels falling off.I was told when I upgraded to aaa plus rv if i had to have both toys towed I would be charge 2 towes I was find with that then boom
Old 03-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #37

I used GS 2X the first year with favorable results...

1) After replacing the original China Bombs with Maxxis I didn't check my lug nuts @10 miles out & arrived at the CG with a wobbly tire, damaged rim & stripped lug bolts... I didn't have the tools to do the job so I called GS. An hour later a commercial trailer mechanic arrived. GS covered the larger service call portion of the bill so the mechanic only charged me $55 /hour for labor plus parts @ cost, which didn't include his time to run & get parts... He did a great job & even got me an extra set of bolts/nuts which I now keep in the TT...

2) On the way to a meeting (not towing) I was driving up a steep hill & into a parking lot when my Hemi self-disintegrated. My ears were filled with the most horrendous metal to metal grinding as rotating assembly parts attempted to liberate themselves from their oppressive cast iron overlords. As the Ram lurched to a stop all I could think was, "This is going to be expensive!"

Fortunately, the tow was covered... GS sent a flatbed from one of the better tow services in our area & the driver even dropped me off at a local restaurant, after the tow, so I could wait for my ride.

AND fortunately even w/96K miles Ram replaced the Hemi under their 100K Powertrain warranty, no questions asked, even though I became the 2nd owner at 85K miles.

So kudos to Good Sam's & Ram for taking care of us!
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:17 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bill View Post
Do you recall how long you had to wait for AAA to respond?
The first time was a Saturday with heavy rain. About 2 hours till the tuck arrived, not bad considering they had to get to us on the interstate. The second tow I had to find someone to tow us, it took a while. The inside duel tire on a Sunday, I had to find someone that would one out on a Sunday. The reimbursement was about 2 weeks on the find my own.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:21 AM   #39
Site Team

We used to have AAA plus but dropped it. My father in law had a
wheel chair van and we wanted to take him out to lunch after church.
It was a sunny clear Sunday noon in the middle of Louisville. I called AAA
because his van had a very low tire. I got the "your call is very important
to us- and will be answered in the order it was received". After 10 minutes standing in a parking lot with a cell phone in my ear I hung up. I called again
and got the same recording.
I gave up and changed the tire in my good clothes.

When I wanted to cancel my membership from auto renewal I had to WAIT AGAIN on the phone to get a live person to stop the auto charge for renewal. I lost all confidence in them because if they don't have enough staff to answer phones in good clear weather on a Sunday what would it be like during bad weather in rush hour???

AAA might be OK for a car IF they'll answer the phone! Later I found they
had a premium up charge to get faster phone response!! WTH???

Now have Coach Net but have not needed it so can't say whether it will
be any better.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:29 AM   #40

Good Sam's goal is to get someone to you within an hour... Both times they called within 30 minutes to say someone was on their way & then at 60 minutes to verify our help had arrived. I figured the commercial trailer mechanic had to leave his other work to help us & the tow service sent their only flatbed truck... In remote areas these guys are not just sitting around & waiting for a tow call... When they get the call they have to drop what they are doing, get the right truck for the job, and then find you...

That said, I don't like that they give a big discount the first year, and then more for renewals. I dropped our Cable TV forever when they pulled that stunt... I will likely let our GS membership expire & see if they contact me with a lower rate to renew which is what I think I did last year.
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote