Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2018, 01:50 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablack View Post
I have the Goodyear endurance also and they have looked like that from day one. I was concerned because they look like they are ballooning. Goodyear reassures me that is normal. I haven’t had any problems.
Goodyear seriously told you that? Why am I not surprised.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:12 AM   #42
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
16K miles and I finally have an issue - ran over a roofing nail into the center of the tread... I'll repurpose the fixed tire as a spare and use the spare as the new load tire.

One of our OE tires (manufactured in Jaingsu, China) picked up a crown staple with about 10K kms on the clock. Had that tire patched and put it back in service. It served for another 30K kms with no issues save for expectant wear and tear.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:14 AM   #43

One thing for sure, you better believe the manufacturers when they say 4-5 years is the life of the tire no matter how many miles you have on them. I installed a set of E rated Towmax early in 2014 (date code was 4913) because we were taking a cross country trip. (Trip and camping for the last couple of years did not happen because of family illnesses and grandbabies.) I even found a nice DMV officer who came out to my place and did a complete weight assessment of truck and 5ver so I could insure I bought the correct weight rated tires. In any case, I had one blow out on a trip to the OBX in April and another one go 3 weeks ago on our way home from the lake. And I have a 3rd tire that swelled up like a balloon. My 5ver sits in a barn out of UV rays. The tires only had 2K+/- miles on them. I knew I was riding on borrowed time, and was going to purchase new tires this summer....but wow, when the Towmax aged out...they aged out. Fortunately, the blowouts did little to no damage to the skirting or undercarriage. After research and reading TONS of forum conversations, I'm leaning very strongly towards the GY Endurance. They are made in Ohio and a few miles down the road from me in Fayetteville, NC. One other point, while we talk about curbs and potholes, etc. have you ever watched the awful contortions we put our tires thru when we make a tight turn, especially on dual or triple axle rigs? Makes my face hurt to watch it.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:27 AM   #44

One thing that hasn't been mentioned about trailer tires is speed. The faster you go, the more heat is generated. I see so many people hauling trailers passing me while I go 62 to 65 MPH. Then you come upon them miles down the road with a flat, blowout or worse. Sure you have to maintain the tires, keep the PSI set at what the sidewall says but you also have to use some common sense when traveling. Slow down and enjoy the trip, nobody wants to be on the side of the road.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:40 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
One thing for sure, you better believe the manufacturers when they say 4-5 years is the life of the tire no matter how many miles you have on them. I installed a set of E rated Towmax early in 2014 (date code was 4913) because we were taking a cross country trip. (Trip and camping for the last couple of years did not happen because of family illnesses and grandbabies.) I even found a nice DMV officer who came out to my place and did a complete weight assessment of truck and 5ver so I could insure I bought the correct weight rated tires. In any case, I had one blow out on a trip to the OBX in April and another one go 3 weeks ago on our way home from the lake. And I have a 3rd tire that swelled up like a balloon. My 5ver sits in a barn out of UV rays. The tires only had 2K+/- miles on them. I knew I was riding on borrowed time, and was going to purchase new tires this summer....but wow, when the Towmax aged out...they aged out. Fortunately, the blowouts did little to no damage to the skirting or undercarriage. After research and reading TONS of forum conversations, I'm leaning very strongly towards the GY Endurance. They are made in Ohio and a few miles down the road from me in Fayetteville, NC. One other point, while we talk about curbs and potholes, etc. have you ever watched the awful contortions we put our tires thru when we make a tight turn, especially on dual or triple axle rigs? Makes my face hurt to watch it.
Ironic post. I replaced ALL my Towmax tires on our old Cyclone a few years when we were headed to Camp Kerr Lake. One blew six miles from home on 540 passing Knightdale. I replaced all six right there at Knightdale Discount Tire. Dates were fine on the tires but I suspect poor quality and sun light played an equal part.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:42 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rather_b_camping View Post
.They acted surprised to see it because they've never had one come back with that issue yet. Why isn't it a potential quality issue?? I've never in my life had that happen in the tens of thousands of miles I've driven in my life, not even on the so called China bombs I had before the Goodyear. .
I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I admit. I know little about most things.

But I am furrowing my brow over these statements.

ONE admittedly very rare instance, and the question is why isn't this a 'quality' issue??????

UH........because it's not a quality issue IF it's that rare, that's why. It's an anomaly. A weirdness. A fault in the rubber trees growth process. Something odd. NOT a quality issue.

????

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:43 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I tend to agree also as folks post with out really backing up with what actually happened. I soent 321 years as a safety inspector and youd be surprise at what you can find doing the digging it takes to get to the actual facts. There is always someone wanting to jump at anything. Later RJD
Hey RJD are you a vampire ? 321 years ?
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:24 AM   #48
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
Hey RJD are you a vampire ? 321 years ?
Ya stupid computer BTW nice meeting you at the rally. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #49

I recently read an article published by Jalopnik.com regarding issues with Goodyear RV tires. It reported that 10 deaths have been attributed to tire malfunction. It seems that Goodyear has been aware that their tires do not stand up to heat and are likely to fail.

A good friend has suggest Bridgestone as a better alternative.
duby325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:26 AM   #50

The article in Jalopnik.com may be viewed in the link below.

https://jalopnik.com/how-the-tenth-d...v-t-1825477930
duby325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
A fault in the rubber trees growth process.
I think it's been decades since a rubber tree has been used to make rubber.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by duby325 View Post
I recently read an article published by Jalopnik.com regarding issues with Goodyear RV tires. It reported that 10 deaths have been attributed to tire malfunction. It seems that Goodyear has been aware that their tires do not stand up to heat and are likely to fail.

A good friend has suggest Bridgestone as a better alternative.
That is in reference to the Goodyear G159, used primarily on Class A motorhomes. Different breed from the Endurance trailer tires.

2017 Cherokee 294BH
2015 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4L V8 Crew Cab
Moparman1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #53

This is the first time I have read of any report on Goodyear Endurance tires in the two years they have been available. And I monitor both RV and marine forums that have purchased many tires.

Time will tell how they perform. The Marathons were okay prior.to production moving to China, so I will be optimistic on this tire's future.

I went ahead and replaced.my 16" China Bombs on Day One for my fifth wheel--with Bridgestone Duravis R250's, a superior ribbed tire.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:24 AM   #54

Two of my Endurance tires look just like this since new. Been on about 2 years and thousands of miles. No issues, other than looking kinda dorky.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
Any one know of any statistics on cars or truck where the tire is damaged by impact? Not saying it doesn't happen but no one I know have ever had a tire damaged by impact.

Being an RV forum I know that most of the tire related issues are on campers and I am also away of foreign tire failing.
I can speak from experience I've had two auto tire wrecking opportunities.

In my wild and idiotic youth, I hit a gas station curb, in an overgrown parking lot/turn around and pulled studs out of the hub, Goodyear tire survived.

In my more mature years, I hit a hellacious pothole on a dark on-ramp and bent a high quality aftermarket aluminum wheel, and the BF Goodrich on it survived just fine to be mounted on a replacement rim.

I sure hope my camper tires never bulge like that!

Good luck, and safe travels OP!
howiez69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:11 PM   #56

We've had our Goodyears' on now for five years and no problems at all. Perhaps we have 12000 miles on them. Just got back from a three month 5,000 mile trip (not all on the trailer of course) and no issues.
DrippingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #57

I hope the Goodyear Endurance tires work out great for everyone. Everyone’s different as I have never had any problem with my Goodyear G614. When they wear out I’ll replace them with another set of G614. I also run Goodyear’s on my truck, never had any problems with the tires
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:40 PM   #58
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparman1230 View Post
That is in reference to the Goodyear G159, used primarily on Class A motorhomes. Different breed from the Endurance trailer tires.
X 2 They need to get the facts straight. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:05 AM   #59

Goodyear Endurance Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshort View Post
Two of my Endurance tires look just like this since new. Been on about 2 years and thousands of miles. No issues, other than looking kinda dorky.
We just replaced our China tires with the Goodyear Endurance tires one month ago. We check the pressures faithfully and notice that they are losing pressure daily. We took one trip and came home 3 weeks ago. Since the 5th wheel has been sitting on wooden boards, they have lost about 8 pounds of pressure in 2 days after we pumped them up to 80. Now the lowest one is down to 71 in 2 days. Is this normal? Goodyear said the original rims on the trailer with D rated tires were fine for the new E rated ones, but I am wondering if this is a factor.
clayart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #60
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayart View Post
We just replaced our China tires with the Goodyear Endurance tires one month ago. We check the pressures faithfully and notice that they are losing pressure daily. We took one trip and came home 3 weeks ago. Since the 5th wheel has been sitting on wooden boards, they have lost about 8 pounds of pressure in 2 days after we pumped them up to 80. Now the lowest one is down to 71 in 2 days. Is this normal? Goodyear said the original rims on the trailer with D rated tires were fine for the new E rated ones, but I am wondering if this is a factor.
They are probably just stretching which is normal.

Tags
quality