Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #1

Got this Verizon Jetpack® MiFi® 8800L

Picked it up yesterday for some WIFI for the 5ver ... after reading about campground WIFI and reading what alot of you are using I bought this ... unlimited $65 a month no contract from Verizon... Connected last night with phone hope it works that well at the campsite
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
waybeck2018

In most cases it should work fine, but there are places where nothing works! I have been using the Sprint mi-fi for years and every now and then, no connection or weak connection. To us, little in life is so important that we can not be with out an internet connection for a while. Wonder what RV folks did before mi-fi or wi-fi???

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
Picked it up yesterday for some WIFI for the 5ver ... after reading about campground WIFI and reading what alot of you are using I bought this ... unlimited $65 a month no contract from Verizon... Connected last night with phone hope it works that well at the campsite
I use the Verizon jet pack . have never been anywhere i did not get signal . from FL to MT . you are limited to 15gb then it throttles back to a snails pace
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:29 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
you are limited to 15gb then it throttles back to a snails pace
Not on this pre-paid plan.

RVMobileInternet has a good write-up on it:
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gui...ack-data-plan/
Old 03-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #5
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Nothing new...

There are probably 10 topic threads about this very same subject in the last 30 days...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:35 PM   #6

Jetpak

I was working from a previous post here re WIFI and ended up with a Verizon Jetpak MIFI and added it to my postpaid replacing a tablet I had. I spoke with a very helpful person @ Verizon today because my MIFI came to a screeching halt last nite. This is what I found out. Yes, under the postpaid unlimited plan you are limited to 15G and then slows to 600KBPS. However, my smart phone, on the same postpaid account/plan, has another 15G I can use as a hotspot before it gets throttled. Under the unlimited data only prepaid plan, there is no throttling. Only a possible slow down to 2GBPS if there is congestion on the tower. At this point, I'm going to leave it on the post paid plan for another month or so and see how I do. But the cool part with the prepaid, I can pay for it as I need it on a month to month basis. The guy at Verizon was very helpful.

Check out my Blog "A Grande Tour" about our travels and other writings! agrandetour.com
dougschne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybeck2018 View Post
In most cases it should work fine, but there are places where nothing works! I have been using the Sprint mi-fi for years and every now and then, no connection or weak connection. To us, little in life is so important that we can not be with out an internet connection for a while. Wonder what RV folks did before mi-fi or wi-fi???
And I wonder how long before Verizon changes it up so it's not so good for us RV'ers anymore?

I give them six more months before this unlimited Mifi plan goes the way of the DoeDoe bird.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:09 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybeck2018 View Post
To us, little in life is so important that we can not be with out an internet connection for a while. Wonder what RV folks did before mi-fi or wi-fi???
Good thing we're all different. You don't mind being without internet, but if I don't have a quality internet connection, I get fired.

I was able to travel extensively before we went fulltime due to the proliferation of quality internet on the road. And I'm able to fulltime because of it.

We all camp differently.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #9

No limit on prepaid plan .... Yes we can do without the internet but decided not to. I do business and need to stay in touch a couple time a day. This is new to newbies on here and if you want no need to click on it or make comments, not everything is found thru the magic search button. My daughters campground, Peace River in Arcadia does not offer WIFI so we decided on this manly because of the help of this forum. Hope JohnD10 is wrong and they don't take it away...
Old 03-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #10

WIFI needed

I surely understand the need for WIFI. We have been using our tablet as a hotspot for 7 years. We don't have internet at our home because of where we live fulltime. Not in an RV. We wanted to have WIFI everywhere including where we RV. We're planning on going fulltime in a few years and wanted to get an idea before we made that commitment. Right now I'm using my phone's hot spot because of cap on the postpaid plan. Will probably go with the prepaid in the coming month. Just trying to make sure of the best choice in all instances.

Check out my Blog "A Grande Tour" about our travels and other writings! agrandetour.com
dougschne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
And I wonder how long before Verizon changes it up so it's not so good for us RV'ers anymore?

I give them six more months before this unlimited Mifi plan goes the way of the DoeDoe bird.
Doesn’t matter if VZ cancels the plan, provided one has an active subscription at the time the plan is cancelled. But, if one cancels the plan later then they cannot get it back. Lotsa folks have the original VZ unlimited data plan for their phones or tablets. It is the only true unlimited plan with no throttling or speed management ever. VZ (and AT&T) tried to get rid of those folks but the law said otherwise.

AT&T had the Mobley plan active for 8-9 months (don’t remember exactly how long) then suddenly it disappeared. Those of us who were active still have it for $22 a month. My AT&T phone plan from back in 2002 is still active. It has SIX phone lines plus 30 gig of rollover data for $160 a month. That’s less than $30 per iPhone and cannot be matched anywhere.

Ack to the OP, the 8800 prepaid plan (also works on the 7730) it’s a great plan. I used over 60 gig while camping for a week at Atlanta Nascar. It rained most of the time so DirectTV got watched a lot on two AppleTV sets. Never saw any speed reductions, etc.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Doesn’t matter if VZ cancels the plan, provided one has an active subscription at the time the plan is cancelled. But, if one cancels the plan later then they cannot get it back. Lotsa folks have the original VZ unlimited data plan for their phones or tablets. It is the only true unlimited plan with no throttling or speed management ever. VZ (and AT&T) tried to get rid of those folks but the law said otherwise.

AT&T had the Mobley plan active for 8-9 months (don’t remember exactly how long) then suddenly it disappeared. Those of us who were active still have it for $22 a month. My AT&T phone plan from back in 2002 is still active. It has SIX phone lines plus 30 gig of rollover data for $160 a month. That’s less than $30 per iPhone and cannot be matched anywhere.

Ack to the OP, the 8800 prepaid plan (also works on the 7730) it’s a great plan. I used over 60 gig while camping for a week at Atlanta Nascar. It rained most of the time so DirectTV got watched a lot on two AppleTV sets. Never saw any speed reductions, etc.
However, the prepaid plan is NOT a contract plan, so Verizon will be able to drop it without any repercussion if they so choose.

Or at the very least, they will keep it, but start throttling down like they do with their contract customers.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
However, the prepaid plan is NOT a contract plan, so Verizon will be able to drop it without any repercussion if they so choose.

Or at the very least, they will keep it, but start throttling down like they do with ***SOME OF*** their contract customers.
I agree that they may have the power to adjust the plan since it’s prepaid but I’m not sure how that’ll actually work.

But, I did want to minorly correct your comment about post-paid/contract plans. My plan is old enough that I get as much hotspot data as I want. And trust me, with me working and 4 of us fulltiming, we can use some data!
Old 03-19-2019, 09:09 PM   #14

Not "Some Of"...but "Most Of" their contract customers!

However, Verizon is a big company and they have proven over the years that they can do almost whatever they want.

Just like Amazon.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #15

A lot of big companies raise their prices, I am amazed when I call to tell them that I will be leaving they offer me a discount or special promotion price
Old 03-20-2019, 07:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post

That's not true . I had Verizon for umpteen years and got there first ever unlimited plan before they unveiled it to the public it throttles back. it used to be 10 gb but they increased it to 15 .
Old 03-20-2019, 08:16 AM   #17

Quote:
That's not true . I had Verizon for umpteen years and got there first ever unlimited plan before they unveiled it to the public it throttles back. it used to be 10 gb but they increased it to 15 .
Per info from rvmobileinternet.com if it’s the really old and truly unlimited plan VZ drops the hotspot limit for $30 per month. If the sim for that plan is moved to a tablet or hotspot device there is no extra charge.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #18
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I just added unlimited data to m MI FI jet pack $20 a month . And I don't worry about slow downs as I don't use much data per month. Phone has 2 GB with roll over and I may use .08 GB I'm good. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:19 AM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
That’s the challenge. You are both right. I’m sure your plan has shared hotspot limits; the same as I’m sure my plan does not.

Mine is as emm-dee describes. Truly unlimited with no throttling after a certain usage threshold. I spent $1,000 to buy it back at the end of 2015 or early 2016. I bought it because it was truly unlimited. Some months, I use a little like 25gb and other months I use a lot like 125gb.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
That’s the challenge. You are both right. I’m sure your plan has shared hotspot limits; the same as I’m sure my plan does not.

Mine is as emm-dee describes. Truly unlimited with no throttling after a certain usage threshold. I spent $1,000 to buy it back at the end of 2015 or early 2016. I bought it because it was truly unlimited. Some months, I use a little like 25gb and other months I use a lot like 125gb.
Different plan . your talking this prepaid which seems fairly new . the original unlimited came with 10gb before it was throttled back then increased to 15 . this prepaid costs more i pay 45 per line not 65 , and get 15 gb . now if i use that up i'll use my phone for the rest of the month . rarely do i go over but when i do throttling back sucks .been with verizon since the 90's . don't mean to argue and really shouldn't an am sorry if i upset anyone . but i do know verizon the these prepaid are fairly new it seems