Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2017, 02:45 PM   #1

GPS

I would really like some advice on GPS units. I have never used one of these as most of my planning was for motorcycle trips and we usually just winged it.

Since I don't really want to spend upwards of 300 dollars for something I may not use or like, what are your comments regarding a unit that may be 3/4 years old as far as models go. Camping World currently has a couple of Magellan models and a Rand-McNally model on sale for under 200 dollars.

If I remember correctly, both brands are pre loaded with POIs that would be of interest/use that I could use (campgrounds).

Even though these units are a couple of model years old, what are you thoughts on purchasing one of these. Again, I have never used a GPS so I would not feel to bad about possibly wasting 200 dollars as opposed to 300 plus.

All comments are appreciated and I thank you all in advance.
cliffy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:47 PM   #2

Use your phone or buy a Smartphone if you don't already have one. Tablet w/4G services if you want a larger format.

Much more accurate, real-time traffic updates, no software updates to buy.. ever.

Google Maps or Waze is the best.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:50 PM   #3

Suggest you search around on this site. There have been a number of threads on this topic that discuss the pros and cons. FWIW, it seems like Garmin is the most popular brand.
Recognize that NONE of them are 100% reliable. Any of them can lead you astray.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:11 PM   #4

Waze is the best. The only thing google maps has that might be a little bit better is satellite view. Don't get me wrong, I use both. With Waze the majority of the use.
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:19 PM   #5
Site Team

If you have a smartphone, look at CoPilot USA. They have an RV version that can be set to keep you off roads that your RV should not be on and away from low overpasses. They do a good job of providing timely free map updates. The best part is the maps are downloaded on your phone ( by area) so they work even when there is no cell or wifi service. A whole lot cheaper than a standalone GPS unit.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:37 PM   #6

The problem with using a smart phone is if you don,t have service (signal) your lost. With the GPS you don,t have to worry about that. That,s why we opted to go the GPS route.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
Waze is the best. The only thing google maps has that might be a little bit better is satellite view. Don't get me wrong, I use both. With Waze the majority of the use.
Waze is well known for the traffic updates.. but did you know that those are all in Google too?

I personally find that Waze takes me on more back roads and I also don't like the cartoonish interface either. Being able to report road hazards (and seeing updates on them real time is a cool feature but it really doesn't help with anything other than letting me know about it.

It really all boils down to preference. This article does a pretty good job of describing the differences. Take a look: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/wave-vs-google-maps/

I'm not familiar with the other app mentioned here. I'll have to take a look.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
The problem with using a smart phone is if you don,t have service (signal) your lost. With the GPS you don,t have to worry about that. That,s why we opted to go the GPS route.
You can download maps for offline use if needed. However, if you've got a good service provider it's usually not an issue. I've got Verizon and have never had an issue (outside of remote campgrounds). Any of your highways, byways, and back roads should work fine.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #9
King of the Road

Quote:
Agree with 007, you don't need a cell signal to use GPS on your cell phone, you only need the offline maps for the areas you are traveling. Waze and Google and several others offer offline maps for the US and elsewhere.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:55 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
CoPilot uses maps that are stored on your phone and work where there is no service or wifi

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy49 View Post
I would really like some advice on GPS units. I have never used one of these as most of my planning was for motorcycle trips and we usually just winged it.

Since I don't really want to spend upwards of 300 dollars for something I may not use or like, what are your comments regarding a unit that may be 3/4 years old as far as models go. Camping World currently has a couple of Magellan models and a Rand-McNally model on sale for under 200 dollars.

If I remember correctly, both brands are pre loaded with POIs that would be of interest/use that I could use (campgrounds).

Even though these units are a couple of model years old, what are you thoughts on purchasing one of these. Again, I have never used a GPS so I would not feel to bad about possibly wasting 200 dollars as opposed to 300 plus.

All comments are appreciated and I thank you all in advance.

Do you use any apps for finding RV campgrounds? I use rv parky and rv parks and campgrounds, on those you can find the campground that you want to stay at and hit navigate and it will take you to the campground. You can also use the apps to find out the roads you need to take to get there. I use rv parks and campgrounds the most. Around big towns I use google to find the roads I want to take. I have a Garmin RV760. With my Garmin I type in the campground that's closer to the city and then I type in a campground on the other side of the city I'm going through. Works for me. With rv parks and campgrounds I can find any campground that I want to stay at and it shows all the roads no matter how far away.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:22 PM   #12
Selective Curmudgeon

I got my last GPS - a Garmin - at a Pawn Shop... a $200 unit for about $40. I bought the window-mount bracket off Amazon.

Fifty-eight bucks and I had more navigational technology than the first manned space flight.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
CoPilot uses maps that are stored on your phone and work where there is no service or wifi
I read some of the reviews in Google app store. It got some love but some nasty complaints too.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I read some of the reviews in Google app store. It got some love but some nasty complaints too.
Too many nasty reviews for $40.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #15

At $40 for an app it needs to be golden. Seems excessive. I likely won't even try it. Google maps works for me.

Satellite view has been a lifesaver.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #16

Quote:
At $40 for an app it needs to be golden. Seems excessive. I likely won't even try it. Google maps works for me.

Satellite view has been a lifesaver.
REALLY!!! I'll stick with Waze-- has speed limits and current speeds. My trip to Cape Cod last year was without a hitch. I had already pre-planned to miss tunnels and a couple bridges. I've already done the same for my next trip-- to the Grand Canyon using Google Maps for satellite view and switching back and forth with Waze as well.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:16 PM   #17

My $99 Garmin is 100 times better than the $1,500 nav system on my Toyota and loaded with more features. And much better than Google maps.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
My $99 Garmin is 100 times better than the $1,500 nav system on my Toyota and loaded with more features. And much better than Google maps.
My brother - in - law praised the Garmin until I showed him Waze-- he's stuck on it now!!
Old 08-28-2017, 05:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Um.. ok. Prove it. I've looked at several systems in the past and don't see any benefits.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Um.. ok. Prove it. I've looked at several systems in the past and don't see any benefits.
I have no need to prove my opinion. Take it or leave it.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote