Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2019, 07:55 AM   #1

GPS

Need some knowledgeable advice, please. I am looking for the best / most reliable GPS system on the market for my tow vehicle / travel trailer combo. I would like one that works for RV towing mode, plus for regular use when I'm NOT towing. I understand that some of them have to be hooked up to or synced with a smartphone. I don't own a smartphone, so that function would be useless to me. Just looking for a great GPS System that can be used in "regular" mode or for RV towing mode. Thanks so much. Heading out West in September, and looking to buy some device to help navigate places I've never been to before. Appreciate any and all replies. Happy Camping.
Tirebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirebuilder View Post
Need some knowledgeable advice, please. I am looking for the best / most reliable GPS system on the market for my tow vehicle / travel trailer combo. I would like one that works for RV towing mode, plus for regular use when I'm NOT towing. I understand that some of them have to be hooked up to or synced with a smartphone. I don't own a smartphone, so that function would be useless to me. Just looking for a great GPS System that can be used in "regular" mode or for RV towing mode. Thanks so much. Heading out West in September, and looking to buy some device to help navigate places I've never been to before. Appreciate any and all replies. Happy Camping.
We used to use the Good Sam GPS from Camping World (don't remember who really made it...Magellan, maybe?) but after it got stolen, we replaced it with a Garmin 770. Have used the Garmin for over two years, and really love it. Easy to use, and has the "towing / not towing" option that you want. Can input all of the info about your rig (height, overall length, etc.) to keep you from going where you won't fit. Highly recommend the Garmin 770, from a company that is a leader in the field.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:43 PM   #3

I use the Rand McNally gps. Can load my measurements and it’s easy to use
dodgemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:28 PM   #4
Retired Old Fart

I have Garmin units for all of our cars. Been using them for 15 years or so. I love them. They do not require a smart phone or anything else. Most of the current models come with lifetime map updates so you can download new updated maps for free from Garmin via the internet. A lot of their models have what they call "lane assist" or "junction view" which shows you a simulation of the exit lanes before you get to a highway intersection. That can be very helpful in a strange city the way intersections are all scrambled up sometimes. Especially where multiple interstates meet or diverge. Some samples are below.

Another thing I like about the Garmin units is you can change the display to a flat map view like what you see in Google Maps. It reads like a paper map. You can set North up or Track up (I go with Track up on mine). I like the flat map look better than the view like you are flying in a drone behind and above the car (which is the standard view option). I have cars with built in maps, and the Waze app that displays on the car dash monitor, and I still find myself using the NUVI in addition to the other maps.

I have 2 of the Garmin NUVI model 50 series, and 3 of the NUVI 1350 series, and one of the very old model NUVI 760 units. All still working. The 760 model is so old the lithium battery would not charge, but you can buy a new one on Amazon (a little hard to change though).

But Garmin is my recommendation 110%.

Sam's Club usually has the Garmin 50 series models for around $75-80. That is really all you need IMO.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #5

I use the Garmin RV770. It occasionally gets us lost or takes us the wrong way but it get us back on course. I use Waze too but it’s hard to leave your route when pulling a camper
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
I have Garmin units for all of our cars. Been using them for 15 years or so. I love them. They do not require a smart phone or anything else. Most of the current models come with lifetime map updates so you can download new updated maps for free from Garmin via the internet. A lot of their models have what they call "lane assist" or "junction view" which shows you a simulation of the exit lanes before you get to a highway intersection. That can be very helpful in a strange city the way intersections are all scrambled up sometimes. Especially where multiple interstates meet or diverge. Some samples are below.

Another thing I like about the Garmin units is you can change the display to a flat map view like what you see in Google Maps. It reads like a paper map. You can set North up or Track up (I go with Track up on mine). I like the flat map look better than the view like you are flying in a drone behind and above the car (which is the standard view option). I have cars with built in maps, and the Waze app that displays on the car dash monitor, and I still find myself using the NUVI in addition to the other maps.

I have 2 of the Garmin NUVI model 50 series, and 3 of the NUVI 1350 series, and one of the very old model NUVI 760 units. All still working. The 760 model is so old the lithium battery would not charge, but you can buy a new one on Amazon (a little hard to change though).

Sam's Club usually has the Garmin 50 series models for around $75-80. That is really all you need IMO.

Same here, really like the lane assist feature.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:39 AM   #7

I have the TomTom 720 which is rather dated but with updated maps works great. I also hacked it so it would play movies during those long empty nights driving down the highway.

*I have a handful of movies I know word for word by heart, Tremors, any A&C movie, Bogie, Armageddon to name a few. I listening to these as I would the radio to stay alert. CBS Radio Mystery Theater comes in handy too.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #8

We have a Garmin as well, it is the 660LMT. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/524447
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:55 AM   #9

Whatever you get be sure it comes with "Lifetime Maps".

Road construction is a fact of life and you'll want to update the roads once or twice a year.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
Whatever you get be sure it comes with "Lifetime Maps".

Road construction is a fact of life and you'll want to update the roads once or twice a year.
I recently updated our maps on both GPS we have. Still does not show a road that was added a block from me 8 years ago. Updates are not always updated! LOL
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #11

I recently purchased a Garmin RV 770 LMT-S and have been using it in "car mode" for the past couple weeks to get use to it. In general, it's a good GPS, but does have some issues. It's "fastest" route option often doesn't really give you the fastest route. Same thing with the "shortest" route. I've also noticed that it will sometimes change screen views at will. What I mean by that is, I'll be traveling along watching it route me around town, but then all of a sudden, it'll display various screens that provide detailed info on elevation, GPS coordinates, compass directions, speed, etc. In order to get back to the map, I have to press the return button. I'm not sure why it does that.

The OP mentions having to use a smartphone. In the RV 770's case, that's primarily related to receiving traffic information (although, it can provide bluetooth capabilities to receive various notifications from you phone, make/receive phone calls, check weather, etc.).

I've used my phone, using Garmin's Smartphone Link app, to get traffic info. It works very well and while it does use you cellphone plan's data, I've noticed that not much data is actually used. For giggles, I purchased a Garmin GTM 60 to see if it worked as well or better than the traffic status relayed via the Smartphone Link app. The GTM 60 is a charging cable that also works as an FM traffic data receiver. Although, Garmin says that the RV 770 is compatible with the GTM 60, I've not gotten it to work. For some reason, it simply will not receive an FM transmission. I've called Garmin's customer support, but they simply refer me to the troubleshooting section of the users manual, which is no help. So, I'll sell the GTM 60 on eBay and stick with the Smartphone Link app. I'm not a big fan of receiving notifications from my phone onto my GPS (I don't need two devices 6" apart from each other doing the same thing at the same time), but that option can be turned off on the Smartphone Link app.

Another thing to be aware of is that map routing on and around federal installations can be hit or miss. I work on a Marine Corps Base, and my mapping/routing software always wants to take me through a gate that is only open during emergencies and is located on a gravel road. Even when I opt to avoid gravel roads, the GPS always want me to go through that gate. That said, many GPSs have issues with federal installations, so this isn't necessarily only an issue with Garmin devices.

I've not yet used the RV 770 in "RV mode", although I have entered my tow vechile and trailer's specs into the GPS.

Updating the maps and firmware, either via WiFi or using Garmin Express, is very important. When I received the GPS (about three weeks ago), I updated both and it took a bit so the updates were substaintial. I've checked for updates again two times since then (the latest being this morning) and each time it provide map updates. So, somebody at Garmin is making updates available on at least a fairly regular basis. However, there's a fairly busy intersection getting onto I-95 in Virgina that hasn't been updated and that routing changed last summer. Again, I don't necessarily think that's Garmin's fault and more the responsiblity of who provides their maps.

In any case, knowing what I know now... I'd buy the RV 770 again. YMMV.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:41 PM   #12

I've used GPSs from every manufacturer. The Garmin 760RV or 770RV are the best for RVs. If you don't need the RV-specific information overlays (waypoints for RV repairs, campgrounds, etc.), the trucker-centric dezl 760 or 770 offers the same driving information. You can still enter the same vehicle information, for accurate directions and you can often find it for less than the RV versions. The 760 versions were quite a bit less, not so much for the 770 version.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #13
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post

I agree completely and love my Garmin Nuvi 2789LM, BUT it will not work in the windshield of my 2018 GMC Sierra Denali!

I've gone thru troubleshooting with Garmin, and it will work in my garage, and other vehicles, but not in the windshield of this truck

It must be the metallic in the glass or something, but GARMIN does not have a solution for it.

I'm ready to replace the windshield, because the Navigation in this truck is just not up to par with the GARMIN!

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:13 AM   #14

Garmin RV770 is what we use and a BC30 mounted on back of trailer. Love the voice commands. Can get weather including radar. With the BC30 you get a traffic receiver that is built into the power cord. Had a Garmin for about 20 years and will continue to do so.
GerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
I've used GPSs from every manufacturer. The Garmin 760RV or 770RV are the best for RVs. If you don't need the RV-specific information overlays (waypoints for RV repairs, campgrounds, etc.), the trucker-centric dezl 760 or 770 offers the same driving information. You can still enter the same vehicle information, for accurate directions and you can often find it for less than the RV versions. The 760 versions were quite a bit less, not so much for the 770 version.

Having access to to all those things that you say are unnecessary, well to a lot it is nice to see. I have had Garmin for years, but Rand McNally is a whole lot nicer and easier to see map. And price is pretty much same
dodgemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:19 AM   #16

We have and use both Rand McNally and Garmin devises. Like the street name and distance to turn features as opposed to Tom Tom that did not serve well - but it was an older model. I say go to a store that has several and look them over in person. Obviously this is a "Ford or Chevy" type issue. Some put way too much info on the screen making it difficult to see what is important to you, others not enough. Some talk too much, others can't get the mute feature off easily. Get one with an RV feature and you'll grow to love it. Until, like all of them do from time to time, the b***ch in the box routes you off and into a place you don't want to be before correcting itself. In short have a paper map around somewhere as a backup. (I still use only a flip phone.)
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote