Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2018, 01:46 AM   #1

GPS preferences.

Whats everyone's opinion on the best gps unit for large rv's. I have read so many conflicting pros and con about every unit they make for rv travel. What have you had good luck with? Thanks Steve
Daddystribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:35 AM   #2
Coach

I'm a big fan of the Rand McNally Trucker's Road Atlas. I know it's not as easy as a GPS, but I like being able to cross reference routes for height/weight restrictions.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:30 AM   #3

I agree that a trucker road atlas is invaluable. It gives you the big picture. I have 4 trucks and all just have regular Garmin Nuvi's. They do the job and don't cost hundreds of dollars but more and more I use Google maps.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:45 AM   #4

We use the RVND7 and Rand McNally trucker's atlas.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:42 AM   #5

As I stated in another thread asking about RV GPS. I use a Rand McNally RVND 7730. This GPS allows you to set your parameters for RV length, weight, height, no. of propane tanks and size, plus the type of roads that you would like to travel on. Such as no tollways, tollways, no gravel roads and no U-turns. You can also purchase life time maps and the unit will be updated as Rand McNally provides these updates. You do need to be connected to the internet to do the updates.

I am on my second unit as the first one failed after six years of use. These Rand McNally units have never routed me incorrectly when towing, although it seems a little goofy on the routing some times.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #6
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddystribe View Post
Whats everyone's opinion on the best gps unit for large rv's. I have read so many conflicting pros and con about every unit they make for rv travel. What have you had good luck with? Thanks Steve
I'm also looking at another unit and am interested in the Rand McNally RVND 7730.

I've heard there can be some issues with certain windshields and reception. I have a Nuvi 2789 which constantly loses satellite connections in this GMC Denali, but worked fine in my old F150.

BTW, the navigation in this Denali is awful, that's why I'm looking for a new backup.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddystribe View Post
Why do you need this when you already have it on your phone?
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
The OP asked about a GPS for large R/Vs.
Many of these R/V specific units have parameters that can be set for height and so forth.

I doubt your phone has a clue what vehicle it is giving directions for.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:19 PM   #9

I use the Garmin RV 770 LMT-S. It is made for RVs and routes depending on your RV height, length, weight and propane. I have not had any issues with it. Works great.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
I use the Garmin RV 770 LMT-S. It is made for RVs and routes depending on your RV height, length, weight and propane. I have not had any issues with it. Works great.
^^ X2

You can also set it to avoid tolls, uturns, and some other stuff I can't remember.
You can set it for a fast route (usually interstates and larger roads) or shorter distance.

As with all GPS, they are not 100% accurate.

If we have access to the internet, the night before we use the google map satellite view to see what's ahead. Google maps on the phone is good too, but frequently we lose phone service while on the road.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:23 AM   #11

Smile

We just installed a Kenwood head unit that has iplay and android play which allows us to use Waze ..... which by far has the most up to date road information available....

If you would like to check out Waze just download the free ap to your smartphone.....

Safe Travels ...
shopdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopdoug View Post
We just installed a Kenwood head unit that has iplay and android play which allows us to use Waze ..... which by far has the most up to date road information available....

If you would like to check out Waze just download the free ap to your smartphone.....

Safe Travels ...
WAZE is awesome — it is the most accurate and up-to-date GPS system I have ever used. But, you can’t set it up to warn you about, or route you around low bridges and other things that you must avoid while pulling or driving an RV. Maybe, hopefully, one day, WAZE will add these features.

Bruce
Old 10-21-2018, 06:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
^^ X2

You can also set it to avoid tolls, uturns, and some other stuff I can't remember.

You can set it for a fast route (usually interstates and larger roads) or shorter distance.

As with all GPS, they are not 100% accurate.

If we have access to the internet, the night before we use the google map satellite view to see what's ahead. Google maps on the phone is good too, but frequently we lose phone service while on the road.

It’s what I use, I also use paper maps and google maps. If going around a big city I want to know ahead of time what the road ahead is.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:50 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Because most phone "GPS" apps doesn't work if there is no cell signal....

Plus as others have said being able to customize your GPS for your vehicle's spec's is a big plus. I use a Garmin 760LMT in our RV...along with the latest Truckers Atlas.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
The OP asked about a GPS for large R/Vs.
Many of these R/V specific units have parameters that can be set for height and so forth.

I doubt your phone has a clue what vehicle it is giving directions for.
There are quite a few apps that accomplish this task on your phone, and some of them are free.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Because most phone "GPS" apps doesn't work if there is no cell signal....

Plus as others have said being able to customize your GPS for your vehicle's spec's is a big plus. I use a Garmin 760LMT in our RV...along with the latest Truckers Atlas.
If there is no cel signal, there is no satellite signal either, which means there is no GPS signal. If you go where there is no satellite signals, paper maps and local knowledge are your best bet.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:32 PM   #17

Quote:
If there is no cel signal, there is no satellite signal either, which means there is no GPS signal. If you go where there is no satellite signals, paper maps and local knowledge are your best bet.
I am not sure what cell signal and GPS signal have to do with each other.

They are two entirely different systems.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:14 AM   #18

I have seen a lot of negative reviews of the Garmin RV 770. I am a Garmin fan, I own several but I think the algorithm used for the RV's is throwing this otherwise good platform out of whack.

US Army Retired
Tx_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
That isn't quite the case... The GPS network has nothing to do with the cellular phone network, it's satellite based. The US GPS system is owned and operated by the military. It was in use many years before any cellular phone networks were deployed. See Here.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #20
clr

I have used the Garmin RV 660 about the same as the RV 770 but with a smaller screen. I did not want to share my cab with a 7 inch monitor. This unit works great for me, no worry about overpass', weight restricted roads and such. Many options as to routing, so you can travel anywhere in confidence. The only problem is that some of the POI locations are not very close, but the system is based upon when the POI told Garmin about there location. Overall I love traveling with this unit.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote