Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #1

GPS Recommendations

I have been led down the wrong road (literally) for the last time by Apple Maps and want to purchase a GPS that is trucker/RV specific.
I would like to know what others on this forum have and would recommend.
I would prefer an app on my phone that will work with Apple Play on my truck so that I don't have another screen to contend with, but if that is not possible, I will learn to deal with it.
If I need to purchase a separate unit, then I would prefer one that I don't have to spend $50-$100 per year for upgrades (upgrades included with the purchase).
Also, if a separate unit, what size screen should I consider?
Thank in advance for your comments and suggestions.
CUTiger80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:19 PM   #2

I use a Garmin RV 785 & traffic with life time maps. I purchased this from Garmin to insure that I had lifetime maps.
The unit can be toggled between car and RV. In the RV mode is were you enter the trailer data to insure that there are no surprise when driving. Such as height, weight, length, number of axles and propane tanks.
This is a hands free device which is voice activated once the device is powered up. You simply speak to the device such as view maps, saved places find cities and so for as you drive.
I have had great results with my Garmin. Before the Garmin I had a Rand McNally unit in the past but it was not as sophisticated as this Garmin is.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:26 PM   #3

The important thing to me is the height. With my Good Sam GPS you enter the height of the RV and a number of other things like toll roads or not tunnels or not etc.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:33 PM   #4

We've got the Garmin 770 which I think has been replaced by the 785. Still, you need to verify with something like Google Maps or a paper map. It put us in the middle of an onion field in New York several years back and it's told us to 'turn right' when we were on a two lane highway hugging a mountain. The road was there, just several hundred feet down.
It's good for finding campgrounds when you're close to your destination and we like the 'attractions' feature which has helped us find interesting places.
Old 11-15-2020, 05:58 AM   #5

I have the Garmin 770 and at time it tried to put me on roads that motorhomes are not allowed on, or it told me to turn down one lane dirt roads. I also had issues with low bridges and before anyone says anything I do have it setyup for a RV with height and weight. I will never fully trust any GPS so we always refer to a truckers almanac.
Plan your trip before hand, be fully aware of your surrounding and always expect the unexpected.
ken64k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:30 PM   #6

Maybe the Garmin RV785 is a better unit. This has never lead me down the incorrect road when towing my trailer. In fact one thing I have notice is that if I do not switch from the towing mode to the car mode the GPS warns me of low underpasses. There're is one road that I travel on going to my daughters house without the trailer it will warn me of a low bridge ahead if I am in the trailer towing mode.

This unit also has a dash cam with lane departure plus forward warning collision warning alerts. The unit will also warn you of speed limit changes, school zones and pedestrian zones.
Old 11-15-2020, 05:14 PM   #7

I forgot to say that I always confirm with the Motors Carriers Map Book, always.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote