RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-31-2020, 08:30 AM   #1

Grand Design Review

Thought I would post a review of my 2019 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS as warranty items have been taken care of. Some may find this of use. Former 2015 Rockwood 2702 owner (purchased new).

Purchased the new GD due to wanting a separate bunk room and washer/dryer. I have no bias and of course there are good points about GD but this is about problems. Some claim on the GD owners forum to have had "Zero or a couple of issues". Unfortunately, not my experience. I've come to realize that purchasing an RV is a roll of the dice as far as workmanship and problems despite manufacturer's "puffing". All problems (most documented, a few I took care of), requiring many costly trips to the dealer, have been fixed under warranty. Some are problems from vendors calling into question the quality of parts, some aren't.

Grand Design 312 BHTS Problems
Entry door hard to close and stay latched.
“Equalizer” in center of leaf springs has 2 fittings that can’t be greased.
Bathroom sink has small dent in front.
3 skirting braces not attached due to broken screws.
2 broken screws in slide out trim.
Outside kitchen “door” wouldn’t lock and lock damaged drawer front.
Side lip edges of stove extending above counter top.
Finger pulls on both pocket doors fell out.
Latch on drop down bunk needed repair.
Sewer cap cracked and leaks.
Fresh water drain valve leaked.
Hot water heater exterior door not closing properly.
Shower enclosure wall at bottom bulging.
Shower enclosure walls not adhering to bathroom walls(double sided tape).
Shower enclosure doesn't fit properly causing bulging at top.
Master bedroom door not closing properly.
Master bedroom door trim and jamb cracked.
Window shades are too short and deforming the creases at top when opening.
Shower bottom "curb" framing appears crooked.
Ceiling trim in bunkroom is loose.
Frame rusted at delivery, welds and surface rust.
Living room slide floor carpet (upper piece) was installed crooked,
1 Ĺ inches difference front to back.
Awning material retracts off center "bending" moving part of frame to rear.
Light above docking station stopped working.
Living room slide noisy due to not being lubricated.
Shower door track at bottom corner not caulked properly causing leak.
Propane leak at regulator causing loss of all gas.
Recliners (2 connected) move and contact wall in rear, secured to floor with one screw in piece of bent metal "strap" over frame.
Refrigerator leaking water out of bottom vent.
Plywood at back of refrigerator vibrating intermittently.
Water leaking between gutter and roof in a couple of areas.
Water heater flame goes out intermittently.
Two decals had the top clear layer delaminate.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:35 AM   #2

I'm assuming you bought this new. Just curious how many of these items were identified during initial walk through. I realize some can only be found during extended use.
My BIL has a Reflections and he didn't have to go back to the dealer for warranty work even though there is one in town. He called and explained how backed up the dealer was and their time estimate. He didn't want to lose the use of his RV for months waiting on them. They approved the work to be done by an independent RV service shop. It was fixed in one day.
Might save you any more costly trips.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:05 AM   #3

My cousin bought a Grand Design in 2018. I noticed one of your line items noted gaps near the gutter seams.

My cousin did notice similar issues just after delivery, seams near the gutter looked suspicious, and brought the unit back to the dealer twice for

You obviously know your way around TTs.

My cousin noticed sidewall delamination this past summer, just out of warranty, and sure enough when I inspected their roof found a myriad of gaps, separations, and 1 open crack in lap sealant around their skylight.

As Grand Design rejected their claim I documented and repaired their issues for my cousin.

Here's what I found, 1st pic shows gap above gutter, 2nd pic shows the open crack in lap sealant on sklight, 3rd pic shows cracks on front lap seam, 4th pic shows cracks on rear lap sealant.

Factory sealing was thin, and this roof had received maintenance at least twice since 2018. When I closely inspected the rear cap seam I was horrified I could actually see how thin the self leveling sealant was applied, I had to completely redo that seam from side to side..

Remaining pics are my repairs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201002_120928.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	242264Click image for larger version

Name:	20201002_120747.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	242265Click image for larger version

Name:	20201002_120948.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	242266Click image for larger version

Name:	20201002_121237.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	242267Click image for larger version

Name:	20201004_100349.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	242268Click image for larger version

Name:	20201004_125549.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	242269Click image for larger version

Name:	20201005_140958.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	242270Click image for larger version

Name:	20201004_125517.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	242271Click image for larger version

Name:	20201004_134228.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	242272Click image for larger version

Name:	20201004_134233.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	242273
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I'm assuming you bought this new. Just curious how many of these items were identified during initial walk through. I realize some can only be found during extended use.
My BIL has a Reflections and he didn't have to go back to the dealer for warranty work even though there is one in town. He called and explained how backed up the dealer was and their time estimate. He didn't want to lose the use of his RV for months waiting on them. They approved the work to be done by an independent RV service shop. It was fixed in one day.
Might save you any more costly trips.

Yes as stated it was new. When I spoke to GD they preferred the dealer take care of it. Grand Design was bought by Winnebago which may explain some things. Since it is out of warranty I won't be making any more trips to the dealer. The reason I posted this was to point out that despite their "puffing" on their website, GD is no different than many other manufacturers. Roll of the dice as to what you get from workers paid piecework.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
Roll of the dice as to what you get from workers paid piecework.
Piecework or hourly makes no difference when a product is properly inspected for quality of workmanship. Thatís the real problem with RVs ó there is a severe lack of quality control in the RV industry.

Bruce
Old 10-31-2020, 10:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParise View Post

My cousin noticed sidewall delamination this past summer, just out of warranty, and sure enough when I inspected their roof found a myriad of gaps, separations, and 1 open crack in lap sealant around their skylight.

My roof required maintenance after about a year. Not very good as my Rockwood went 3 1/2 years requiring none. I noticed the sealant looked like their was a problem with the viscosity. I mentioned this to a Grand Design warranty rep and he said they were aware of it and "working on it".
Old 10-31-2020, 10:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Piecework or hourly makes no difference when a product is properly inspected for quality of workmanship. Thatís the real problem with RVs ó there is a severe lack of quality control in the RV industry.

Bruce

That's for sure.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Yes as stated it was new. When I spoke to GD they preferred the dealer take care of it. Grand Design was bought by Winnebago which may explain some things. Since it is out of warranty I won't be making any more trips to the dealer. The reason I posted this was to point out that despite their "puffing" on their website, GD is no different than many other manufacturers. Roll of the dice as to what you get from workers paid piecework.
I agree with that. Doesn't matter what brand, or past reputation, any RV can have problems, and most do. Especially in this high demand situation created by covid.
You can pay any amount, $20k or $120k and I honestly believe the build quality is the same.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Thought I would post a review of my 2019 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS as warranty items have been taken care of. Some may find this of use. Former 2015 Rockwood 2702 owner (purchased new).

Purchased the new GD due to wanting a separate bunk room and washer/dryer. I have no bias and of course there are good points about GD but this is about problems. Some claim on the GD owners forum to have had "Zero or a couple of issues". Unfortunately, not my experience. I've come to realize that purchasing an RV is a roll of the dice as far as workmanship and problems despite manufacturer's "puffing". All problems (most documented, a few I took care of), requiring many costly trips to the dealer, have been fixed under warranty. Some are problems from vendors calling into question the quality of parts, some aren't.
Just sold my Imagine 2670MK. Had it about 2 years. Only reason I sold it was not enough room.
Was a good camper with a few issues. All I took care of myself. GD was not much help on one issue. Slide seal fell off in a 3 foot section. They would not pay for a mobile tech to come fix it. I managed to fix it myself in the end. I was work camping and could not get to a dealer for 4 months. So fix it I did. GD would not do anything to help.
My main door had closing issues I could not solve myself and they did not help on that either. I think they have a lot of door issues because the frames or something is warping or bending or something. Not sure, but a lot of folks have spoken about this same issue.

For the most part our Imagine was a well built camper and had few issues. I did have to caulk the crap out of the roof in places due to GD's lack of it. Not sure , but I think most these campers are poorly sealed at the roof lines.

Grand Design is no worse and certainly no better than any other camper made. They just have the cult following right now. They are not and I will say this again they are not any better than anyone else. Same old same old, built in Indiana camper. They stand out for customer service in most cases. Just wasn't the case with mine.
Ram 2500
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote