Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 08:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
I have 2x 2200 Hondas and they wouldn't pull a 15k over 8000 ft. That's with the Honda parallel kit. And they won't ramp out of eco before my Progressive EMS drops them for sagging.

Keep in mind 3% of capacity lost every 1000ft, and even Honda requires rejetting above 5k.
And I have had the opposite experience. Same jets they came from the factory with. Work at sea level and above 8k.
We frequently go to Cloudcroft NM at 8600' and run the 15k a/c with 2 2000watt Hondas. And that is with running at least the converter charger at the same time.
And why would you run an EMS with an inverter generator anyway? If the gennies don't ramp up fast enough for your EMS take one off eco mode?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:59 PM   #22

I run my 2 Honda 2000 @ 8500 ft without issue. I do make sure that the converter is not pulling additional power when ac is starting up and I do have a hard start capacitor installed. I would start with the additional capacitor since it’s only $10.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
And why would you run an EMS with an inverter generator anyway? If the gennies don't ramp up fast enough for your EMS take one off eco mode?
You've obviously never seen what the sine wave looks like when a generator (or inverter) shuts down. Precisely why almost all will tell you to disconnect before shutting off. Same with ramping it up after start before plugging in. There's a reason they have a green ready light.

And not everyone will catch every time before you run out of fuel.
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:03 PM   #24
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
And I have had the opposite experience. Same jets they came from the factory with. Work at sea level and above 8k.
We frequently go to Cloudcroft NM at 8600' and run the 15k a/c with 2 2000watt Hondas. And that is with running at least the converter charger at the same time.
Probably hard wired EMS. That is one of the cons of hardwired systems.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
You've obviously never seen what the sine wave looks like when a generator (or inverter) shuts down. Precisely why almost all will tell you to disconnect before shutting off. Same with ramping it up after start before plugging in. There's a reason they have a green ready light.

And not everyone will catch every time before you run out of fuel.
Now where did I put those sinewave viewing glasses.....? I hate to miss something so obvious.....
I do think you are confusing inverter generators with contractor generators which do have to maintain a certain rpm to generate the required power.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:53 PM   #26

Quote:
I honestly think there is something else going on here. I have never seen 2 properly paralleled 2000watt generators that would fail to start an a/c at any elevation. My brother has 2 2000 Yamahas and I have 2 2000 Hondas and we have run 15k a/c with them from sea level to 8600' with no modifications.
I think I would check actual draw from the RV and output from the paralleled generator socket. Something isn't right.
So I got the 2 yamahas back from service. The tech told me that they are not adjustable (for altitude). I showed him what it said in the manual, but he stated they self adjust for altitude. It is the larger gens that have a carb adjustment. Not sure what else would be going on. They have very few hours on them. I did have them change the oil and plugs. We will see how that works. I did receive the soft-start for the A/C and will get that installed. I will try again to run the A/C before installing the soft-start and will update here.

I'm not very savvy in electricity. How would I check the output (of gens)? I do have a meter, but I won't pretend I know how to use it.

2021 Surveyor 203rkle
2018 Chevy Silverado
Fastway e2 Hitch
wyodrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyodrums View Post
So I got the 2 yamahas back from service. The tech told me that they are not adjustable (for altitude). I showed him what it said in the manual, but he stated they self adjust for altitude. It is the larger gens that have a carb adjustment. Not sure what else would be going on. They have very few hours on them. I did have them change the oil and plugs. We will see how that works. I did receive the soft-start for the A/C and will get that installed. I will try again to run the A/C before installing the soft-start and will update here.

I'm not very savvy in electricity. How would I check the output (of gens)? I do have a meter, but I won't pretend I know how to use it.
Sounds like "service" is FOS.

Only engines that adjust for altitude automatically are those that are fuel injected (computer controlled) or running on LPG where the regulator adjusts.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:00 PM   #28
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

Only engines that adjust for altitude automatically are those that are fuel injected (computer controlled) or running on LPG where the regulator adjusts.
Agreed. But a quick Google search, I had a hard time finding any info on Yamaha high altitude jet kits.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Probably hard wired EMS. That is one of the cons of hardwired systems.

We have a hardwired PI EMS, works great. We also have a 3500 W PowerHorse generator, (think Predator from HF, just blue from Northern Tool). I decided to test it, so I cranked up the gen and plugged in the 50 amp cord to the dogbone.

I got an E9 error code on the EMS display and no power to the camper. E9 means the display cannot communicate with the EMS.

I switched it off, bypassing the EMS and I got power to the camper. Turn it back on and E9 again.

I called PI and essentially got no help. The tech said he could not fathom a reason that happened.

I can use it bypassed but as the tech said, Be SURE to turn it back on so the next time I plug into a campground pedestal it is protecting me immediately.

Anyone else see this issue ever?
Old 08-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #30
Trailer Park Supervisor

So you CAN bypass hardwired EMS if you have an issue, that's good.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
So you CAN bypass hardwired EMS if you have an issue, that's good.

Yes, there is a bypass switch on the remote display. Turning it off does not affect the surge protector but it no longer protects against low or high voltage missing Neutral of ground, etc. This is not usually an issue with a generator though.

As I said earlier it is VERY important to turn it back on so it is not bypassed when you go to a new location
Old 08-04-2021, 08:50 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

Yeah, he might be. This is what it says in the owner's manual...

"This engine may require a high altitude carburetor kit to ensure correct engine operation at altitudes above 4000 ft. If you operate your engine at altitudes above 4000 ft consistently, have your local Yamaha dealer perform the necessary carburetor modification."

I did go to a yamaha forum, and it sounds like they can be adjusted. I'll try again as others here have stated they have no issues with parallel connected gens.

2021 Surveyor 203rkle
2018 Chevy Silverado
Fastway e2 Hitch
Old 06-07-2022, 08:00 PM   #33

Update on this thread…

I had the soft start installed and tested it tonight.

I can start and run a/c with one Yamaha. But only on low cool. It does seem to push that Yamaha a bit. Hooked them in parallel and all is good! Thanks for all of the input!

On the altitude issue, I got a second opinion. He agreed with the Yamaha shop that there is not a kit for these generators. So onward and upward for me!

2021 Surveyor 203rkle
2018 Chevy Silverado
Fastway e2 Hitch
Old 06-14-2022, 11:02 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
We have a hardwired PI EMS, works great. We also have a 3500 W PowerHorse generator, (think Predator from HF, just blue from Northern Tool). I decided to test it, so I cranked up the gen and plugged in the 50 amp cord to the dogbone.

I got an E9 error code on the EMS display and no power to the camper. E9 means the display cannot communicate with the EMS.

I switched it off, bypassing the EMS and I got power to the camper. Turn it back on and E9 again.

I called PI and essentially got no help. The tech said he could not fathom a reason that happened.

I can use it bypassed but as the tech said, Be SURE to turn it back on so the next time I plug into a campground pedestal it is protecting me immediately.

Anyone else see this issue ever?
Since this thread got resurrected, were you using a neutral/ground bond? My PI will throw a code (can't remember which number) and not work if I forget to plug in the bonding plug. If you're not familiar with this, here is some information on what they are and why they may be necessary:

https://www.rvtravel.com/how-generat...r-an-rv-works/
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 11:21 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_and_I View Post
Since this thread got resurrected, were you using a neutral/ground bond? My PI will throw a code (can't remember which number) and not work if I forget to plug in the bonding plug. If you're not familiar with this, here is some information on what they are and why they may be necessary:

https://www.rvtravel.com/how-generat...r-an-rv-works/

When I wrote this I do not have one. I found about them after and using an old extension cord plug I made one of parts in my shop. Works Perfectly!

Tags
generator