Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2021, 06:14 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've never had any safety technology failures on any of my vehicles or my airplane. So that is not a stupid statement. Vehicle safety technology works pretty darn good, but it's not idiot proof. The vast majority of accidents are due to the driver, not the failure of the technology.
So technology has made most drivers idiots? IE no light in my mirror so I do not need to turn my neck and look……………just in case.

No cop pulling me over so I do not need gauges to look at.

Would like to see people who have all this loose it for a week and see if they know how to drive in the first place.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:31 AM   #42
JCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
My wife and I had the same reaction when we saw that commercial! Some idjit is going to try it while towing, have an accident, and then we can sit back and watch all the finger pointing and see where the dust settles.
I don't see hands free being viable until all the roadways are up to par. And I don't see that happening at all in my lifetime. The roads just keep getting worse.
We were just laughing at work being done on I10. The roadway they were replacing was actually in better condition than the parts they were keeping and not doing anything to! Amazing.
The roads in America will destroy most trailers and vehicles. The new roads are just not engineered or constructed properly. The concrete ones are poured in sections and the joints are just not fluid or consistent making the ride thump, thump, and jerky up and down every 20 feet or so. Asphalt roads are much better but dont last . The N.E. especially the secondary roads are probably the worst .. Pa. probably gets the trophy.
Hands free ?? ... beware of that humpty dumpty bump while traveling a narrow lane next to a trucker texting away .. i am not sure how well the computer can adjust to abnormal dangerous situations.
JCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:28 AM   #43

Nothing is 100% perfect. The more complicated, the more chances it will fail. And it will fail. And it only fails during use. I trust myself.
jaylowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:28 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I have driven I40 in western New Mexico and I have to say when I was on that portion of the interstate. I believe that I saw the same signs that I see in IL No non-motorize vehicles or pedestrians on the interstate road such as I80,I355,I88 and so-forth.

I know that I would not want to be on an interstate walking or riding a bike when a truck/car are traveling at 75 to 80MPH as they go by.
You should always keep in mind that I-40 crosses over Native Americans' lands. They weren't asked if we could separate their lands, as usual we ignored their rights. You are technically driving on reservation lands and they don't have to follow the laws as posted. No, they don't like walking or riding a bike on the Interstate to get from one place to another, but we left them no choice.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:02 AM   #45

Sure, take a nap, read the newspaper, surf the web etc. Technologies got your back! Until some hacker halfway around the world drives you off a cliff .
Maybe Im old school, but the least variables on being dependent on technology I have in my life the more I like it!
Old 11-12-2021, 07:44 AM   #46

I have lane assist on my 2021 GMC. I hate it and shut it off. The first bad experience was a couple days after I picked up the truck, we had an ice storm in Wisconsin. Needless to say, I didn't have an accident but that thing pulling me all over and only working part time cuz the highway was covered in spots, was crazy. The last thing you want on ice is sudden maneuvers. I wonder if they sense when you are sliding sideways at 65 mph? lol. Once I felt it, I figured out where to shut it off. Never again.

Another feature I hate is the adaptive cruise. I'm on the interstate and have the cruise set (not towing), and gradually catch a slower car. I'll follow for miles and not realize til everyone is passing me. Usually, that is when I realize that I am traveling below speed limit!!! That gets shut off too now. lol
Badger_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:16 PM   #47

They can have my steering wheel and the decisions I make with it when they pry it out my cold, dead hands.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:57 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger_71 View Post
I have lane assist on my 2021 GMC. I hate it and shut it off. The first bad experience was a couple days after I picked up the truck, we had an ice storm in Wisconsin. Needless to say, I didn't have an accident but that thing pulling me all over and only working part time cuz the highway was covered in spots, was crazy. The last thing you want on ice is sudden maneuvers. I wonder if they sense when you are sliding sideways at 65 mph? lol. Once I felt it, I figured out where to shut it off. Never again.

Another feature I hate is the adaptive cruise. I'm on the interstate and have the cruise set (not towing), and gradually catch a slower car. I'll follow for miles and not realize til everyone is passing me. Usually, that is when I realize that I am traveling below speed limit!!! That gets shut off too now. lol
That is one feature that I do like on my wife's Santa Fe, but I am constantly checking the digital display for the vehicle speed. On her car this will display the speed as the car starts to slow down. You simply change lanes when it is safe to do so. I am so, use to driving my truck and other vehicles where you are constantly scanning the gauges as you drive to see how the engine and drive train are operating.

In her car if there is not enough eye movement a coffee cup appears and the display will "STATE THAT YOU NEED A COFFEE BREAK". So, scanning the gauges and display are a good thing the car thinks you are awake!
Old 11-13-2021, 09:10 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
In her car if there is not enough eye movement a coffee cup appears and the display will "STATE THAT YOU NEED A COFFEE BREAK". So, scanning the gauges and display are a good thing the car thinks you are awake!

I get that on my F150 and absolutely hate it. I've gotten it 5 minutes after a 20 minute stop.... Been looking for a way to disable.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle