Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2016, 07:27 AM   #1

Hartwell Lake, GA

A friend told me that this area is beautiful, but he's not a camper, so I wanted to see if anyone had any hands-on experience with any campgrounds on this lake.

We prefer less "roughing it", but not a "children's playground" either. Thanks for any advice you might have.

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2013 Ford F-150 Ecobeast
LTnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:44 AM   #2

Your friend is correct. We like Twin Lakes, which is a COE park. Almost all sites are lake front.
forthefunofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #3

I haven't stayed there yet but there is a Georgia state owned/operated campground there. If it's anything like the other parks run by the state it should be a pretty nice place to stay.

Hart Outdoor Recreation Area | Georgia State Parks
Old 03-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Have not stayed there yet either but am planning to make a trip there soon. So be intresting to see any further comments or Pics. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #5

Go to recreation.gov and pull up Twin Lakes SC. Then click on the sites. They have pictures of each individual site.
forthefunofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTnTN View Post
A friend told me that this area is beautiful, but he's not a camper, so I wanted to see if anyone had any hands-on experience with any campgrounds on this lake.

We prefer less "roughing it", but not a "children's playground" either. Thanks for any advice you might have.

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2013 Ford F-150 Ecobeast
I know you are asking about Lake Hartwell campgrounds in Ga. I've not been to the GA. COE(corp of engineers) campgrounds since high school but I'm sure they have been updated as SC has. I can tell you about the COE campgrounds in SC. Twin Lakes is our fav. large park mostly private sites several new bathhouses childrens playgrounds are designated and also has designated beach area for kids. Beautiful part of lake hartwell and upstate SC. Twin Lakes is about 20 minutes off I85. Springfield campground is just as nice and is comparable to the above description of twin lakes It is also about 20 mins off I85. Coneross is a little smaller and I've not camped there in over 20 years but have rode by in my boat several times in the past few years and noticed new bathhouse as well. it is about 20 mins off I85. Oconee Point was rated as a top 100 campground and we have never stayed there so I'm not sure why. Been by it by boat also and looks a lot like Twin Lakes. 30 mins off I85 Lake Hartwell State Park is about 5 mins off I85 but would only consider it for a quick overnite on my way somewhere else. Same with KOA about 2 mins off I85. If you are camping with a boat you can PM me and I can share more info. Also most sites at all of these campgrounds do not have sewer hookup but do have dump stations. Not sure about KOA.

It's a nice night for an evening
woodpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTnTN View Post

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2013 Ford F-150 Ecobeast
Payne's Creek --- COE Park

Water and electric hookup, sites on water & well tree'ed park, lake access, a little swimming beach area, couple small playgrounds for kids, hiking and Mtn Bike trail.

Closed winter months, low key, nice park we enjoy.

A thread with some pics from the campground.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Lake Hartwell Georgia or South Carolina

MArkiemar
Markiemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthefunofit View Post
Your friend is correct. We like Twin Lakes, which is a COE park. Almost all sites are lake front.

Stayed there 4 days ... Loved it!

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2013 Ford F-150 Ecobeast
LTnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #9

Update on this. Over the past three weeks stayed at both Richard Russell State Park and Tugaloo State Park, both on Lake Hartnell or adjacent lake Russle.

Russell campsites nice and clean, big enough. There are a lot of really long pull through sites. Cable TV at all sites and fairly good free wifi. Wifi coverage varies so if it's a big deal for you just drive through the campground and watch for the good signals. Nice boat docks pretty much right next to a lot of the sites.

Tugaloo is average state park (meaning clean and well kept). BUT, the roads through the campsite area are a little on the rough side and pretty narrow. I saw 40 ft. fiver drive through and it was tight.

Walked around and looked at many sites (I was in a lakeside site) and decided to never attempt to get to sites 85-105. Look nice on paper with mostly pull throughs. Well, you can pull through ok...as long as your trailer is less than 20 feet. They are "end to end" pull throughs and really short. With a 30 foot trailer you probably won't be able to get the trailer lined up in the site. Also, those sites are located on three parallel roads and when you leave on one of those roads you'll be faced with a true 90 degree turn onto another narrow road. I guess it can be done but sure looks to me like anything longer than 20 feet is going to be really close to some significant ditch drop-offs.

No wifi here but LTE cell coverage is great so Netflix works good and the free cable tv is nice. You'll want that entertainment after dark because you don't want any outside lights on after dark. Lots of bugs, especially gnats. Keep you screens closed.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:16 PM   #10

You might want to give Mistletoe State Park a shot, just off I-20 and on Lake Strom Thurmon and Clarks Hill Reservoir. About 40 miles west of Augusta. Most of the sites are lake front with most being pull-throughs. Try the West Campground Rd once you get into the park.
Two boat ramps and plenty of fish to go around. We park the boat [RIB] right next to the TT while in the water. They rent canoes by hour or day.
We just returned from Mistletoe and are headed back in August.
No sewer, but a dump station. 50 amp and 30 amp. My favorite state park. Very clean and quiet at night. About 15 mins from downtown Thomson GA.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #11

We stayed at Twin Lakes. It's a nice place. Just an FYI though. If you plan on staying on a lake front site expect winds coming off the lake. It was very windy during out stays there. But, that's a good thing if you're in to fishing. Pushes the bait up against the bank there.