Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2021, 03:59 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankraney View Post
This message is not just for you but to others also. Using the quote reply makes it easier to keep track of who you're responding to.
I thought I did when I answered from my phone.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:18 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankraney View Post
Maybe four or five inches would be okay but not much more than that. I used to have my bicycles in the front and I thought I could see through and drive okay then I got lucky I was just told to take him off and put him in the bed because they were obstructing my view by his opinion. And after he brought it to my attention I had to agree with him because it did make it a little harder to see through.
Sorry, not understanding - 4" or 5 " of what??
The hitch receiver I'm putting on will poke out from under the front bumper thru the air dam and hold the carry-rack I install.
I'll secure a 100 lb. inverted generator and a gas can. No bikes or anything tall or visually obstructive. I will install a luminescent rod with a little ball on top to peek over the hood - yes as my reminder.
Once I back into my site, I can turn the Yukon around to face camp and won't have to unload the generator.

Tents, 1967 Apache Pop-up, 2015 Shasta Airflyte Reissue & 2016 Airstream Bambi
>2018 GFM Yukon & 2019 Forest River Flagstaff 183
Devilchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:32 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilchick View Post
poke out from under the front bumper thru the air dam and hold the carry-rack I install.
I'll secure a 100 lb. inverted generator and a gas can.
Once I back into my site, I can turn the Yukon around to face camp and won't have to unload the generator.
mounting a can of gas on the front bumper???
heaven forbid you get into a front end collision with a can of gas up front splashing all over the ground and the front of the truck...
accidents DO happen.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:32 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilchick View Post
Sorry, not understanding - 4" or 5 " of what??
The hitch receiver I'm putting on will poke out from under the front bumper thru the air dam and hold the carry-rack I install.
I'll secure a 100 lb. inverted generator and a gas can. No bikes or anything tall or visually obstructive. I will install a luminescent rod with a little ball on top to peek over the hood - yes as my reminder.
What your are doing should be fine. I was talking about 4-5 inches above hood. I got stopped but I had bicycles that stuck up quite a bit.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:26 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
I may confuse the issue further

If you look at this picture. You can see that if the rack is in the down position. The weight of the rack and contents would be on the rubber pad and then on top of the bumper. Also there would be weight pushing up on the frame at the brackets. But that is not an issue.

My point is that hopefully, as I mentioned before, Lippert did their homework. As you pointed out the possibility of 250 Lbs (plus the weight of the rack) bouncing on the bumper. Does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. In fact last weekend I took everything apart for the express purpose of checking for rust and cracks in the metal or welds.

All is good. I will touch up with paint and may consider getting a welder to reinforce in some manner.

Have fun all.
Always good to inspect those things periodically.

I learned a lesson on one trip that could have turned into a disaster if not for some dumb luck.

A large group of my family went on an RV trip to Maine (from PA) one summer. At the time I had both an Exedition and an F-150 and decided to take both. I had bought a class 3 hitch to put on the truck but hadn't got around to it. The truck has a solid step bumper and I decided to pull the popup with the truck using a ball on the step bumper. The popup was about 1800 pounds and the step bumper was rated at something like 2000 pounds.

Well, we went up to Maine and spent our time and were returning home. We decided to stop off at a rest stop just leaving Maine. As we came out of the pavilion I noticed the camper looked to be at an odd angle. Closer inspection showed that one of the four bumper arms to the frame was cracked through and the other three cracked about half way. It certainly would have left go during the trip home.

Luckily I could just switch the camper to the Expedition and continue home. Next day the truck was in the shop getting the hitch installed.
Tabasco_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:25 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Gordon View Post
Wow! That reply certainly will make people want to help you out. His reply may not have exactly given you what you wanted to know, but it certainly addressed the underlying issue quite directly and clearly. He was trying to help you out and your response to that is to act like ...
I wasn't referring to anything except where was the max weight for the bumper posted.
I have no interest in carrying anything but the spare tire that came with my trailer.
Everybody who chimed in on what they carry is great. But I was not interested.
Are you aware that if you are in an accident and the rear bumper loading exceeds the manufacture weight limit you could be liable.

Thx
Highwayguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:33 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
I'm sorry but snippiness as you put it is never called for when the other person is being polite and trying to be helpful. I see lots of postings that may or may not be of value to the OP. And I probably am one of the offenders. So be it.

But, unless someone gets in your face and is purposely rude and or condescending. The golden rule always applies.

That was a rude response.

Your mileage may vary
Ok so my snappiness was not called for ,AGREED.
But it sure got some attention!
I will be refrazing my questions in the future there are a lot of people who don't read anymore.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:44 PM   #48
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayguy View Post
I will be refrazing my questions in the future there are a lot of people who don't read anymore.
I've haven't posted to this thread since post #2.
I think you will be "rephrasing" not "refrazing"
And I think there are quite a lot of us who can read!
BTW: you needed a comma after "future".
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:59 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
I've haven't posted since post #2.
I think you will be "rephrasing" not "refrazing"
And I think there are quite a lot of us who can read!
BTW: you needed a comma after "future".
That's funny tell it to my iPad!
At my age I'm try to keep up with the spelling and grammar that is coming out of my grand children and they are in college.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:35 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayguy View Post
I do not know about your "snappiness". I was referring to your "snippiness".

Glad you agree it was not called for. Yet, you seem excited that it "got some attention".

Lots of people do not read anymore, huh. Guess it is a good thing you are such a great writer and all around swell guy.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:38 PM   #51

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hijacked.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	260160
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:57 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Highwayguy...

the model of your camper ( only year and make) is in your profile so no good answer from someone that knows your SPECIFIC camper...

Often loads on the bumper, especially from weights hanging off the bumper will torque and rotate the bumper and cause it to tear off the frame, OR worse to bend the frame and void the frame warranty.

the web page below sells brackets AND bumpers you can use to MOD your trailer for what you need it to do... I have used the Mount h Lock bracket to boost the safe weight carrying of my bumper.

https://www.mount-n-lock.com/
I did this just yesterday, and installed these... cause I had that sticker.Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0138.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	260161Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20210801_065547_6336492497669554308.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	260162