Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2021, 10:07 PM   #21
Site Team

I wouldn't believe anything in any generic RV owners manual.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:32 PM   #22

I forgot where I saw this but on my Surveyor any modifications to the bumper voids warranty.
ciditad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryboondocker View Post
While I understand your sentiment on his response, I can also see his point in his response. He was asking a legitimate question from the FR manual to which he was looking for an actual helpful answer and instead he got a, “ A google search yielded this…. There is also lots of threads on this subject. Just use the search function on the top right of the page.” answer which was in all intents and purposes a BS answer as since it did not answer his question at all, nor even try to. So yes I can understand his snippiness in his reply, though it could have been a little more tactful.
I'm sorry but snippiness as you put it is never called for when the other person is being polite and trying to be helpful. I see lots of postings that may or may not be of value to the OP. And I probably am one of the offenders. So be it.

But, unless someone gets in your face and is purposely rude and or condescending. The golden rule always applies.

That was a rude response.

Your mileage may vary
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:39 AM   #24
Site Team

The photos in post 12 are very helpful.
We all should notice the rack is bolted to the frame and does not rely on the welds holding the bumper to the frame ends.
As previously mentioned the square bumper on most trailers is thin and prone to metal fatigue if much weight is added to the bumper itself.
I would worry less about some weight added to the bumper if it is pressing down on the bumper. Things that bolt to the bumper and hang out the back like bike racks give the bumper a twisting motion at every bump in the road.
Most of us have encountered a rig with bikes hanging off the back that were bouncing enough to make us either pass or fall back!

Also weight added to the bumper or rear frame lowers tongue weight which can contribute to tail wag.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:07 AM   #25

I agree with U.S. Army Veteran. I started reading these forums to learn, and I often found answers helpful even though they didn't exactly answer the OP's question. The intended audience is much larger than just the OP. I'm constantly amazed at how upset people can get about a post.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
We all should notice the rack is bolted to the frame and does not rely on the welds holding the bumper to the frame ends.
As previously mentioned the square bumper on most trailers is thin and prone to metal fatigue if much weight is added to the bumper itself.
I would worry less about some weight added to the bumper if it is pressing down on the bumper. Things that bolt to the bumper and hang out the back like bike racks give the bumper a twisting motion at every bump in the road.
Most of us have encountered a rig with bikes hanging off the back that were bouncing enough to make us either pass or fall back!

Also weight added to the bumper or rear frame lowers tongue weight which can contribute to tail wag.
I may confuse the issue further

If you look at this picture. You can see that if the rack is in the down position. The weight of the rack and contents would be on the rubber pad and then on top of the bumper. Also there would be weight pushing up on the frame at the brackets. But that is not an issue.

My point is that hopefully, as I mentioned before, Lippert did their homework. As you pointed out the possibility of 250 Lbs (plus the weight of the rack) bouncing on the bumper. Does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. In fact last weekend I took everything apart for the express purpose of checking for rust and cracks in the metal or welds.

All is good. I will touch up with paint and may consider getting a welder to reinforce in some manner.

Have fun all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200822_145816.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	390.3 KB
ID:	259526  
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:12 PM   #27

I have a factory hitch with a rated limit of 250lbs. My bumper also has a decal that says: “Notice - Addition of any non-factory installed components to bumper assembly is prohibited and may void chassis warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8C30F732-831C-490C-AE44-CD6D4E190925.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	340.2 KB
ID:	259872  
Axeman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
I agree with U.S. Army Veteran. I started reading these forums to learn, and I often found answers helpful even though they didn't exactly answer the OP's question. The intended audience is much larger than just the OP. I'm constantly amazed at how upset people can get about a post.
And it’s, sadly, why I don’t post to any boards very much any more. The incidence of people coming to a board, asking for advice or help and then being salty with the people who are trying to help is just such a turn off.

Asking for folks to take time out of their days and share some of their experience should NEVER be responded to in such a manner.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Sorry, not sorry.
BoyHowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayguy View Post
I was thumbing through the Forest River manual and it states that there is a weight limit for a bumper.
Does anybody know where the weight is posted?
Hi, I contacted the manufacturer of my fiftwheel and requested the design weight of the bumper. They responded that it was designed and built to support a max load of 150 pounds. Hope this helps. You can check for means to increase the max load of your unit.
Andy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:44 PM   #30

Highwayguy...

the model of your camper ( only year and make) is in your profile so no good answer from someone that knows your SPECIFIC camper...

Often loads on the bumper, especially from weights hanging off the bumper will torque and rotate the bumper and cause it to tear off the frame, OR worse to bend the frame and void the frame warranty.

the web page below sells brackets AND bumpers you can use to MOD your trailer for what you need it to do... I have used the Mount h Lock bracket to boost the safe weight carrying of my bumper.

https://www.mount-n-lock.com/

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Did you read what I posted from their manual?
My question has nothing to do with what your talking about.
He did read and he did answer. Your answer on the other hand is going to turn everybody off and you'll get absolutely zero help for being such a smart ass. Those bumpers are made to hold a sewage hose and that's about it. You can stand on them but they're not very sturdy I wouldn't trust them at 300 lb I did and a bicycle rack and two bicycles to mine and the total of about 200 lb. That probably exceeds the 300 lb with the lever action when the thing hits bumps and it bounces up and down. You have to figure the fulcrum and the distance from the rear wheel to the bumper to get the actual weight when you hit bumps as the bumper moves up and down that increases the torque on the bumper or weight.

If I were you I'd apologize to the guy.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:18 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post

I saw this just yesterday, cruising down the freeway at 70mph. That's probably a little less than 100lbs of bikes attached to a bumper mount receiver.

Bumper Mount Hitch

I didn't stick around for the finale!
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:15 AM   #33

Hi ALL,
Since I can't trust the load limits of my bumper -I have chosen to install a hitch receiver to the front of my tow vehicle. I ordered the one designed to attach to my Yukon. Then I can safely mount a carry rack.

Tents, 1967 Apache Pop-up, 2015 Shasta Airflyte Reissue & 2016 Airstream Bambi
>2018 GFM Yukon & 2019 Forest River Flagstaff 183
Devilchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:05 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilchick View Post
Hi ALL,
Since I can't trust the load limits of my bumper -I have chosen to install a hitch receiver to the front of my tow vehicle. I ordered the one designed to attach to my Yukon. Then I can safely mount a carry rack.
Be careful with this set up. If any of it is in your line is site, you can be sited.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:06 AM   #35

Quote:
Did you read what I posted from their manual?
My question has nothing to do with what your talking about.
If you read the rest of the section you posted, you would have found your answer.
It states that before you leave the dealer ask any questions you may have. The dealer is the person who may know the unit's limits.
If you didn't buy from a dealer, call the manufacturer for the info. Every unit is different and may change from year to year.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:08 AM   #36

Quote:
I saw this just yesterday, cruising down the freeway at 70mph. That's probably a little less than 100lbs of bikes attached to a bumper mount receiver.
Qwkynuf...

that video should be a sticky post for bumper carrier bike mods...

https://youtu.be/8kO0N-tyd3Q?t=17

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:59 AM   #37

Thanks for your input. I'll keep my load low. I'd like to have something tiny sticking up so I don't forget it's in front of me though. Any suggestions for my visual reminder so I don't pull too close or crunch what I'm carrying?

Tents, 1967 Apache Pop-up, 2015 Shasta Airflyte Reissue & 2016 Airstream Bambi
>2018 GFM Yukon & 2019 Forest River Flagstaff 183
Devilchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilchick View Post
Thanks for your input. I'll keep my load low. I'd like to have something tiny sticking up so I don't forget it's in front of me though. Any suggestions for my visual reminder so I don't pull too close or crunch what I'm carrying?
Maybe four or five inches would be okay but not much more than that. I used to have my bicycles in the front and I thought I could see through and drive okay then I got lucky I was just told to take him off and put him in the bed because they were obstructing my view by his opinion. And after he brought it to my attention I had to agree with him because it did make it a little harder to see through.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:15 PM   #39

I think I am more concerned about the section on the right-side page you show stating that any modification made to the camper without their express written authorization voids warranty etc... ?!
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:44 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
I think I am more concerned about the section on the right-side page you show stating that any modification made to the camper without their express written authorization voids warranty etc... ?!
This message is not just for you but to others also. Using the quote reply makes it easier to keep track of who you're responding to.