Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2020, 06:25 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecrest View Post
I have LEO family in California and I've heard from them that many business owners both small and big are leaving because of high cost of doing business or closing because of no business due to COVID. That leaves less competition and discounts go away and prices go up.
The company I retired from had well over 100 retail outlets in CA and you have no idea how badly businesses get abused in that State. They have taxes, fees, restrictions, requirements, etc. that other States haven't even dreamed of yet.

Some businesses are able to compete, and even thrive, but only because their "product" is not something you can merely order online. Try getting your car repaired on a website if you aren't a DIY mechanic

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:00 PM   #42

My observation is as follows. When HF first appeared their quality was low and so were their prices. Today their quality is going up and so are their prices, proving once again we get what we pay for.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
My observation is as follows. When HF first appeared their quality was low and so were their prices. Today their quality is going up and so are their prices, proving once again we get what we pay for.
Here's another look at why goods produced in China are costing more, resulting in higher prices at places like Harbor Freight:

https://www.industryweek.com/the-eco...st%20gap%20vs.

Quote:
Chinese wages have been rising by about 15 to 18%/year compounded since about 2000. As a result, the Chinese labor cost/unit of output is now about 3X what it was in 2000.
The article further states that the "cost gap" is closing enough, when adding other costs like shipping, inventory, etc, that "Offshoring" is no longer the profit maker it used to be.

The quality is going up as the Chinese invested in more modern tooling, etc.

Interesting read and if all comes true, could mean a resurgence in US manufacturing. The Covid-19 pandemic may well be the catalyst to trigger that change. It's certainly shined a bright light on the problems associated with a supply chain that extends across the Pacific.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:04 PM   #44

I remember when it was Harbor Freight Salvage the Harbor Freight Tools. Still have the tools I bought from them in the 1980s

We have a new store coming to our area soon........... won't have as far of a drive....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:28 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
I love those free flashlights! Did you ever read the warning sticker on them? Wear ANSI approved safety glasses???

I will buy HF tools if it is something that I only want to use once, maybe twice. They’re really cheap junk, not designed to last. I have seen several mechanics, who are just starting out, buying a bunch of tools in the HF store near me, so I guess they fill that market.

The biggest thing I miss since COVID is their nitrile gloves.
All the nitrile gloves these days are at work, you may want to grab some on your way out daily
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:50 PM   #46

I have HF stuff all over my garage, drill press, air nailer, brad and staple, vise, cordless chain saw as well as others. If you think you can use these every day, they ain't made for you, they are made for the homeowner. Most of us don't mind spending the big $$(look at your truck) but don't want a tool sitting in a box that was used 3x a year. Don't complain if you're cheap!
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:35 PM   #47

Ive been buying some decent stuff and some junk from Harbor Freight since 1977. The 20% coupons get a little scarce close to Christmas time because they know people will pour in there too buy that junk.... Harbor Freight knows good and well they have a good customer base around Christmas time because they are a step above of re-gifting
Thatdarncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:45 PM   #48
KnP

Expect HF to remove all discounts, cheap Chinese goods will be in short supply.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:47 PM   #49

I have their app on my phone. There's always a couple of 20% coupons with overlapping dates along with dozens of other coupons that seem to duplicate the current ad. You don't need to create an account so they don't know (don't care?) if you've already used the coupon so there's no need to ever pay their regular price. Sometimes I've had coupons that seemed to exclude the item I'm buying so I'll ask the cashier if they can try it. Often it will not work and the cashier says something like "I don't know why it didn't take that. I'll enter it manually."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Has Harbor Frieght Tools jumped the shark?

I have noticed changes...retiring yellow flyer, no 20% off coupon, no free stuff, better deals elsewhere, less friendly staff, bigger overhead...is anyone else noticing a trend that feels like the end of Harbor Freight Tools?

I just went today and hey were bragging about a 15% off on everything coupon. Turns out it was the same old 20% off coupon..but now only 15%

Is this just me?

MarkPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:00 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatdarncat View Post
Ive been buying some decent stuff and some junk from Harbor Freight since 1977. The 20% coupons get a little scarce close to Christmas time because they know people will pour in there too buy that junk.... Harbor Freight knows good and well they have a good customer base around Christmas time because they are a step above of re-gifting
I agree it's not all junk. I still have a hammer and a couple cold chisels I bought there.

Even a drill press but I don't use it for drill bits larger than 1/4". Larger snd motor stalls.[emoji15]

Old 12-17-2020, 08:08 PM   #51

Not a bench press

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetauketJeff View Post
That works great on the old vehicles (like my 71 Super Bee), but unfortunately, some of the newer vehicles need crazy pressure to get them out. And not everyone has a home bench press that can open up 12" or more, and sometimes that isn't enough.
Not a bench press. Just a big metal vise, similar to this one.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:08 PM   #52

This standard practice after building a customer base. Northern tool used to be a harbor freight. Then prices went up, etc. Just part of their marketing plan
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:18 PM   #53

Maybe I am just old (well, I actually am, but I digress as usual), but the whole Harbor Freight thing just never grabbed me. Several friends have told me they have the greatest deals, etc., justifying the prices with the "so cheap, you can throw it away if/when it quits". Call me crazy, but I guess I just don't want tools that face a certain and premature death.

My lovely and gracious wife accompanied me to one of their stores last year, just to see what the hype was about. Pittsburgh tools not made in Pittsburgh, Chicago Electric tools that were powered by electricity, but not made in Chicago. Of course, there were the incredible Predator generators (quieter than a Honda at a single digit percentage of the price ), of which can also be discarded when they stop working.

Oh, well...
Summit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:21 PM   #54

Still discounts

I have a Motor Trend subscription and every month thus far it has a full page ad and a 20% off coupon. My local paper always has one as well.
cknsls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:22 PM   #55

It's the belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I agree it's not all junk. I still have a hammer and a couple cold chisels I bought there.

Even a drill press but I don't use it for drill bits larger than 1/4". Larger snd motor stalls.[emoji15]
I had the same issue with a similar China product. I think mine came from Menards in the early 1980s. The problem was that the tension on the motor was not enough to keep the belt from slipping. The arbor stalled but the motor kept spinning. This occurred even when the tension adjustment screw was all the way in. I put a half-inch piece of wood between the screw and plate and was able to eliminate the slip. It's still there.

A couple of years ago I bought their belt-and-disk sander at their huge warehouse in Dillon, SC. It had been returned and I got it for $25, usually $70 or so. Took it home and--same thing--the belt ran, but stalled with all but the lightest of loads. I could still hear something if I listened carefully. It sounded if something were moving. Everything was covered in drive belt and sanding belt guards and shields.

I started taking the covers off and noticed that everything was only finger-tight. The more parts I removed, the more resolve I had to take it completely apart and put things together tight. When I finally got the thing apart enough to take the drive belt guards off, I found.....Neither of the set screws on the belt pulley had ever been tightened at all! Both pulleys were free to spin on their shafts.

I've been pleased with this purchase since I put everything together properly.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:26 PM   #56

Harbor Freight

Change is due to supply challenges. My store took a hit since must of shelf items come from China. I think after COVID life HF will return to the past.
ohcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:59 PM   #57

HT and FI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
yes PA is some what like HT...You must look at the product very careful and then compare with Canadian Tire Corp.................HT always had the same old stuff "free" with coupon and discount only was on certain items as always.....My days of shopping at HT are over!!!!..Will not be returning to Fl in the future!!!!!...They did not handle this epidemic very well!!!
Can you define HT and FI? Are those Canadian businesses?
Old 12-17-2020, 09:07 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohcamper View Post
Change is due to supply challenges. My store took a hit since must of shelf items come from China. I think after COVID life HF will return to the past.
Unless China has to raise prices due to higher labor costs. Also if tariff's continue (if in effect for their products).

Old 12-17-2020, 09:12 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Has Harbor Frieght Tools jumped the shark?

I have noticed changes...retiring yellow flyer, no 20% off coupon, no free stuff, better deals elsewhere, less friendly staff, bigger overhead...is anyone else noticing a trend that feels like the end of Harbor Freight Tools?

I just went today and hey were bragging about a 15% off on everything coupon. Turns out it was the same old 20% off coupon..but now only 15%

Is this just me?

I was there today and I went on-line on the phone and found the 20% discount.
frankhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:17 PM   #60

Still loading up on the free LED blue light. Keep about three of them in the motor home. Just installed this Jupiter power supply before the road trip to Michigan to get Bigfoot RV leveling system installed.

Was great to have a crockpot full of stew ready when we pulled over for dinner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FADE870E-D446-40D5-926F-1C2612AEAB6E.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	625.3 KB
ID:	244737  
JimDebbieNEOK is offline   Reply With Quote