Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2021, 04:34 PM   #1

Has your Ford E450 Ignition Ever Done This?

So earlier this year, I experienced the ability to barely insert my key into the ignition and completely turn it on removing the key! Took it to the Ford dealer who "cleaned" the cylinders and then I wasn't able to get it to do this trick again...until a recent outing months later. Same issue hit again.

This time I spoke to the service manager who very quickly agreed to order the new cylinders and no more "cleaning."

I even spoke to Ford Motorhome support who didn't seem too concerned about a potential safety issue like this. (They were willing to help if my dealer did not execute a proper repair this time.)

Would anyone approach this issue differently?

OTR 2024-22 / 2023-29 / 2022-52
2021-51 / 2020-29 / 2019-71 / 2018-49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 05:06 PM   #2

Could you explain this further - "I experienced the ability to barely insert my key into the ignition and completely turn it on removing the key"
I have found quite a few different problems with the ignition lock cylinders in Ford trucks through the years. It always results in replacing the lock cylinder. One of the suspected causes are a big wad of keys on the key ring swinging and pulling down.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Could you explain this further - "I experienced the ability to barely insert my key into the ignition and completely turn it on removing the key"
I have found quite a few different problems with the ignition lock cylinders in Ford trucks through the years. It always results in replacing the lock cylinder. One of the suspected causes are a big wad of keys on the key ring swinging and pulling down.
So as I insert the key about a half to 3/4 of an inch, I could sometimes tell that was unlocking the cylinder before the key was completely inserted. At that time, I could remove the key and continue to turn the ignition mechanism and it would start sans key.

My unit doesn't have 20,000 miles on it but I guess these issues can happen at any point.

OTR 2024-22 / 2023-29 / 2022-52
2021-51 / 2020-29 / 2019-71 / 2018-49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:41 AM   #4

The problem you had was likely caused by hardened grease causing the pins to stick. The shop did the right thing by trying to clean and lube the lock cylinder. The best preventive maintenance is a shot of WD-40 at every oil change. Graphite and the grease already in the lock tumbler can make a hard goop also.
Actually it was the GM steering columns with the tilt feature that I made a lot of money on.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:28 PM   #5

This may not be a problem with Ford, but in the interest of education:

I've had problems with my GMC Terrain in that I couldn't turn the key to remove from cylinder or start. Sometimes the you just have to turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction (not more than and inch or so) to take some of the force off the steering lock that will allow to remove the key or start. Never had this problem with any other vehicles, but it beats wrecking the key FOB which I've done.

Tags
e450, ford

« Switches | Leveling »