Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2020, 01:09 AM   #1

Hauling motorcycles

Hi. We are new to RVing and have a class A. My husband wanted to get something 32' or less, but I liked the floor plans of the longer ones better. So, the deal was, if I learned to ride a motorcycle, he would drive a longer RV, and we would tow motorcycles, which are smaller than a car. Well, I passed my motorcycle class, and we have a 37' Georgetown Any suggestions on types of motorcycle carriers?

Thanks!
Royandemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royandemily View Post
Hi. We are new to RVing and have a class A. My husband wanted to get something 32' or less, but I liked the floor plans of the longer ones better. So, the deal was, if I learned to ride a motorcycle, he would drive a longer RV, and we would tow motorcycles, which are smaller than a car. Well, I passed my motorcycle class, and we have a 37' Georgetown Any suggestions on types of motorcycle carriers?

Thanks!
To protect the motorcycle(s) and to bring along the gear associated with them, an enclosed cargo trailer modified to haul the bikes (wheel chocks, tie down points) is the only way I would haul them. That doesn’t save you much length compared to towing a small car, but maybe a few feet.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:01 AM   #3

100% agree with behindbars,I bought a small 12 foot single axle enclosed trailer. It's perfect for bike,firewood,and everything else we think we might need. Easy enough to move around without bike in it with one of those lil hitch dolly. I haul a harley streetglide.
52chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:17 PM   #4

Make sure the 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer has a ramp door and not freight doors..
Can you walk erect in it or do you have to stoop?
Can two bike(s) fit with windshield and saddle bags?
Does the floor have reinforced tie down rings?
Old 01-30-2020, 03:41 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Make sure the 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer has a ramp door and not freight doors..
Can you walk erect in it or do you have to stoop?
Can two bike(s) fit with windshield and saddle bags?
Does the floor have reinforced tie down rings?
These are ALL good things to consider.

However.......if your motorcycle carrier (you did mean trailer right?) is as big as 6X12, that means after including the tongue, you’re probably closer to 15’ long.
Now......37’ motorhome towing a 15’ trailer is 52’ long.

My 35’ motorhome towing our 15’ GMC Terrain, with 3’ tow bar totals 53’

You’re still considered pretty big when it comes to reservations for camping.
Just sayin’.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD carried by a 2017 Ford E450
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:10 PM   #6

Thank you for your responses. We were hoping to shorten the length a bit by using a hitch mounted system that suspends the motorcycles in the air right behind the RV.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:28 PM   #7
Scoundrel

A Hydralift System might get you close to what you need although I'm not sure what limitations they have. I've towed Harley Roadkings in an enclosed trailer; I'd never put one on a flatbed.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:29 PM   #8

I use a enclosed trailer.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:11 AM   #9

I use a VersaHaul VH-55 if i am only going to take one bike, sometimes i take 4 and cant get them all in my trailer so will put 1 on carrier and three in the trailer behind the carrier, ( carrier allows you to mount tow hitch aswell). Mine are fairly lightweight dirt bikes and seems sturdy enough but not sure how heavy of a road bike i would trust it with.
gasgastwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Thank you for your responses. We were hoping to shorten the length a bit by using a hitch mounted system that suspends the motorcycles in the air right behind the RV.
I carry my Street glide with a cruiser lift hitch mounted carrier. And tow my Jeep behind. The best hitch mounted systems will only hold up to 1000 pounds wether or not you Hall a vehicle behind it or not. So I guess it all depends on what kind of bikes you have and how much they weigh in order to determine whether or not you will be able to carry two bikes. Look up cruiser lift on the internet and they have multiple solutions for people carrying anything from motorcycles to golf carts to side by sides. You might also want to call them and let them know what motorhome you have and they will be able to tell what will work best for you. Or whether or not it will work at all.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:55 AM   #11

I have 2 enclosed trailers. a 7 x 14 dual axle with brakes and a 5x7 single axle.

We used the 7x14 with one large (R1200gs) bike in it for years (now I have a MotoGuzzi). One advantage of that size is if it was a rainy day you can leave bike in trailer, open rear ramp door and put chairs in back of trailer and you have a covered porch in the rain. Plus you have space for other gear. I even have a cloths rack mounted inside for hanging up riding gear.

My 5x7 is setup to fit a single bike. I bought it for hauling my dirt bike behind smaller SUVs. I could get 2 or more dirt bikes in it but your not going to get more than 1 street bike in without risk of scratches. But the room is limited for setting up chairs with bike inside.

The dual axle sure tows better and is much easier to back up It weighs more and can hold a lot of "extra gear" like long sections of surf fishing poles that don't fit in my camper, blue tanks, tanks to move fresh water, etc. it even gives you a platform to install solar that is low enough to the ground you get on top to angle the panels.

I have a 24' motorhome with limited towing capacity so I plan to run the 5x7 behind my MH with my Street bike in it as my Toad.
But if I had the larger MH you guys do I would go with the larger trailer.

my only recommendations with these box trailers is to keep an eye on the screws that hold the side sheet metal on. i had a couple come loose and the siding cracked on my 7/14.
I have seen them where the side panels are glued and not screwed, wonder if they are any better.

oh, and I guess your moving HD bikes. enclosed trailers are nice because everything stays clean. I recommend a roof vent to open while parked to keep the heat levels down, but I run with it closed.
I don't have gas smell problems because all modern bikes have evaporation emissions system to stop gas smells (unless someone disables them). I also recommend a front door on the side so you can get in and out without opening the rear ramp door.

Also I run with Weight Distribution hitch on my 7/14. I was towing it with a 3500 dually with pickup camper on back. I don't need it but the ride is better when I have it on. I use light spring bars on the WDH.
I feel it also adds some anti sway with the resistance of the bars in the hitch but never had sway problems.

Another nice addition I did was Tady Brothers wireless camera mounted on top back of both trailers.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:39 PM   #12

I have a Honda Rebel 500 - It's the only one we were able to find that I fit on. Roy has a Harley Night Train, but it looks like he will have to downsize if we really want the lift style. Thank you everyone for all the helpful information!

One more question, if we pull an enclosed trailer (or even a car), do we have to add that length for a reservation since it can be unhooked?

Thanks!!
Old 02-02-2020, 04:56 PM   #13

Quote:
they better be small bikes then . a normal HD is around 800 x2 1600 . then put up in the air at what angle and that increases . best with an enclosed trailer . then bikes stay nice plus you can carry all your gear and other bike related items . 53' will not limit you in very many campgrounds and the trailer can be dropped off and then your back to fitting just about everywhere
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:43 PM   #14

Someday go see the Moto Guzzi V7 special. V twin cruiser that looks 50 year old classic.

Moto Guzzi is from Italy, only a couple years younger than HD and still owned by original family
Old 02-04-2020, 10:45 AM   #15

One more question, if we pull an enclosed trailer (or even a car), do we have to add that length for a reservation since it can be unhooked?

Thanks!![/QUOTE]

We don't include what we tow in the reservation for the reason you mentioned. But we do add the length of the bike lift because that is fixed to our coach.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:06 AM   #16

I absolutely would not try to load two bikes (unless they were dirt bikes) on a lift. Sooner or later they will get scratched and bent. You will be better served to have an enclosed trailer, at least 14 ft long. You'll have gas cans, tools, somewhere to hang wet leathers, or riding gear, accessories, etc. And not the least important, a greater level of security.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #17
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52chevy View Post
100% agree with behindbars,I bought a small 12 foot single axle enclosed trailer. It's perfect for bike,firewood,and everything else we think we might need. Easy enough to move around without bike in it with one of those lil hitch dolly. I haul a harley streetglide.
Would your trailer have room for two bikes?
Ronandemily are mentioning his and hers in her question.

Ken and Terry
Old 02-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #18
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Your Georgetown is a Class A gas motorhome on the Ford F53 chassis.
They’re not equipped to support bikes like you’re hoping.
I’ve only seen the diesel rigs who have a strong enough chassis for what you want. Also, I’ve only seen ONE bike on these lifts.
What are the details of size and weight for your bikes?

Ken and Terry
Old 02-04-2020, 11:52 AM   #19

I used a VersaHaul for a couple of years on the back of my camper carrying around my 1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 at 525 lbs. The Versa is a great carrier for one bike, but I can't imagine having two bikes and upward to 1000 lbs. hanging off the back of the RV. I don't think that would be too good for the rear suspension either.

Get a nice enclosed trailer that will protect your bikes, make your travels that much more enjoyable, and, have the ability to carry any extra gear you may require. Don't worry about length at campgrounds, many have pull-through sites that would easily accommodate your set-up and if your hubby is good at backing up he might be able to just back the trailer into your site. I tow my wife's Kia on a dolly with total length of about 55 ft. and we've never really have had a problem. Sometimes we un-hook everything right at the campsite, sometimes we'll un-hook near the check-in office, or some state parks while we fill the water tank.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:39 PM   #20

Thank you everyone for all your input. We have decided to go ahead and get an enclosed trailer for our bikes.

I do have one more last question. I was looking at some of the campground rules at a place we are going to this summer, and it says that motorcycles have to be parked by the office, and we would need to walk from our site to to the office in order to use them. Is that a policy that we would run into frequently? This will be our first time ever not only with an RV, but at any kind of campground.

Tags
motorcycle