Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2020, 04:22 PM   #21

Not quite so costly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Was just thinking about how much a travel trailer might be costing the AVERAGE person per use.

Did some "research" (code name for "Googling") and found that the average life of a travel trailer is around 10 years. Of course this depends on how it's cared for and maintained but it was a stated average.

Let's say one spends ~$35,000 for a travel trailer and they fall into the "average" category. That means the annual cost is $3500 not counting any interest, maintenance, and storage costs.

On average the camping season lasts 6 months so that makes the cost per month $583.33 per month.

Now, how many ACTUAL months is the trailer used? If one week per month during those 6 months we now have a built in cost per trip of ~$580 Now add in the weekly cost for campsites.

Just pointing out that the more one uses their Travel Trailer the less it costs per use. The longer it just sits the more expensive it gets.

If anyone needs an excuse to go camping, this info may well provide one if you can't think of one yourself
Mike,

You forgot to apply credit for retained value of the trailer after 10 years. You've completely amortized it in a decade. You could sell it after 10 or use it for a few more years for "free."

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:47 PM   #22

Appears some have been locked up too long. Enjoy your RV, That's why you bought it!
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Mike,

You forgot to apply credit for retained value of the trailer after 10 years. You've completely amortized it in a decade. You could sell it after 10 or use it for a few more years for "free."
That's what I did with my previous trailer. Amortized it's cost over the first year and then used/enjoyed it for the next 21 years. Not only for free but got quite a few $$ for it when I sold it. Wore out four sets of tires and two sets of brakes on the old unit. It saw a lot of country.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 05:09 PM   #24
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Mike,

Makes my head hurt even more!
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 05:28 PM   #25

I bought my toy figuring 1 major and 2-3 minor vacations a year. If I didn't have the trailer ALL of my vacations this year would have been cancelled.

Instead this year I embraced the work from anywhere and was basically home 1 maybe 2 weeks in a month with vacation only actually used on travel days.

I don't want the details of days of use as it will prevent me from ever getting another one but if that is what motivates you to camp all the power to you! For me the time in it is priceless.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 05:52 PM   #26

We have had a pop-up and two TT since 1979. Took a 12 day bus trip out west and to Yellowstone. NEVER AGAIN. In the 12 days we had to switch hotels 10 times. Not all meals were included so had to locate something within walking distance. Got sick twice requiring one Urgent Care and 2 ERs. Also experienced a 100 mile ambulance trip and when discharged required a 100 mile cab trip when leaving ER to catch up with the bus. Missed a lot of included meals. It was the trip from hell. Also, twice hotel personnel in their personal vehicles had to get me from Urgent Care to ER and back to the hotel. Get a Rx from medical facilities - lots of luck finding a place to get that filled when your bus and hotel is at edge of town.

When back, we sold the TT and bought the Forester motorhome. Sometimes you can't just look at the price and costs of a RV. (provided you buy what you can afford.) It was worth everything never to be trapped on a bus again. Haven't been sick once since using the Forester now in 21 Tuesday-Thursday trips in 2019-20. Never have to again get up early, shower and have bags in hall at 7:15 in the morning for the bus.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:00 PM   #27

I can only hope my wife never sees this thread.
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #28
Enjoying Life

If I stopped to try and price out any of my toys(hobbies), I would probably never have done any of them and would be void of many precious memories and experiences. I do not work for my money; my money works for me. I will enjoy all I have and continue to make those beautiful memories regardless of cost. As the old song goes " I did it my way..."

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #29

We have spent about $85,000 traveling, around 1000 nights total. 25,000 miles on the trailer, 38 states, over 250 national parks, monuments and forests from eastern Maine to western Washington and hundreds of points in between. Includes truck/trailer depreciation and maintenance, campground costs and gas. Priceless memories.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:41 PM   #30

Nope, not going to look at the responses; wouldn't be prudent. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:45 PM   #31

Instead of figuring whether owning an RV or traveling via other methods is cheaper, just enjoy life...
rowdy boys 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:01 PM   #32

Good analysis on the cost. And considering what it does for us, that's a reasonable investment.

With few exceptions, your RV won't take you to the beach. We've been to the beach, and we love it: Aruba, Jamaica, St. Croix, US coastal beaches in CA, MD, NH, ME.

But you can't find a hotel were we like to stay...see pix.

As for a "bug-out" machine, yes that has merit for us in wildfire-prone western states. Our neighborhood actually practices evacuation drills, because we are embedded in the Pike National Forest. An RV won't keep you going for very long without "civilized" supports such as clean water, dumping, fuel for a genny and propane...not to mention little amenities such as food. But if wildfire is threatening, being able to take a home with you to a nearby parking lot for a few days is far better than trying to find shelter. As for other reasons to bug out, I'll pass on that discussion.

So it's good to learn that it's not really that expensive considering what it costs to vacation in other ways.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wellington2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	595.1 KB
ID:	243008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lost Park 2020.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	541.8 KB
ID:	243009   Click image for larger version

Name:	a-lost park 2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	457.6 KB
ID:	243010  
Attached Images

2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
We have spent about $85,000 traveling, around 1000 nights total. 25,000 miles on the trailer, 38 states, over 250 national parks, monuments and forests from eastern Maine to western Washington and hundreds of points in between. Includes truck/trailer depreciation and maintenance, campground costs and gas. Priceless memories.
Definitely getting your money's worth.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:26 PM   #34

Well for me, the wife and the dog itís not so much about the cost, itís about the experience. Weíve traveled a bunch of miles and now that the conditions have changed so much itís also about the ability to travel safely.

We are in Florida so we get to camp more now than you folks up north but enjoy experience and forget about the cost ... thatís why we bought these thingís.
Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:41 PM   #35

Quote:
If anyone needs an excuse to go camping, this info may well provide one if you can't think of one yourself
Do you want to compare the cost of RV ownership against the cost of a boat, gas, insurance, fishing equipment, license and the price per pound of fish caught?

If I come home with 5# of walleye fillets after a day of fishing then those fish will only cost me maybe $100/lb. and that is only if I value my time at NO COST at all.

Of course it is great we live in a country and an era that we have so much extra that we can pursue these expensive hobbies.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:58 PM   #36

Cost

The major advantages for us are, we take the dog, able to stay in the national parks and flexibility. Especially so w/ the virus for safety.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:44 PM   #37

I bought a 24ft trailer used 9.500, camped with kids for 10 years growing up, sometime 2x month even in winter, sold it for 5,000, just have to maintain the roof is the key.
Daniel.mullins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 12:07 AM   #38

Well, for me I travel all the time for work so the thought of climbing on another airplane and staying in another hotel is NOT a vacation. TTing brings a little home with me. My pillow, my bed, my stuff and no TSA. All that and more is worth the price of admission even if it costs more.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:51 AM   #39

if you purchase an RV, regardless of how little or how much you use it, it still cost the same.

now, if you simply rent an rv, then you can certainly state that you've only spent 'so much' per rental, but when owning one, none of that really matters - you "gonna pay" no matter what.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:05 AM   #40

We "value" our RV by comparing cost savings if we would have stayed in a hotel/condo/etc. at the same location. We average 30 nights camping a year. We are in our 3rd season. Our $30K TT has paid for itself easily. We are primarily beach campers. Our first trip out, condos in the area in high season were $4k a week. My campsite was $400 for the week.

We have camped a total of 12 weeks.
On the low end, 12 weeks x $2000 avg. savings = $48000. I'm in the black.
UGACamper is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer