Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2021, 04:35 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
No just like I donít calculate how much each fish I catch costs.
In Alaska, the cost per moose was pretty incredible. Even more incredible if you came back on the float plane empty-handed.

Cost of recreation and sport is always higher than anyone wants to believe. It takes some of the joy out tracking the costs. I work so I can have leisure time, not the other way around. Use the envelope method if you need to stay on a budget.

Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you.
Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:17 PM   #62

Ya pays for your thrills
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pays for your thrills.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	246389  
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:12 PM   #63

This same question comes up about the cost of sailboat ownership from time to time. Thatís why I NEVER did the math. Itís all about the fun.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:06 PM   #64

After my last 12 day bus trip out West including Yellowstone in which I spent time at one Urgent Care and two ER sick, NEVER Again. Ten motels in those 12 days including one that I could smell sewer gas in the bathroom. Three months later we bought our Forester. No more trapped on a bus most of the day, you have transportation to places to eat when meals not included, not having to get up, shower and pack for luggage pickup at 7:15am, food and rest when you need it, and on and on. I hope to never see a motel ever again for the rest of my life as we travel by RV. What does all this cost? I couldn't care less about the cost. When I consider what that bus trip cost, meals missed, too sick to enjoy the places tour stopped at, that trip was a trip from hell.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:09 AM   #65
Site Team

As a seasonal camper, we probably spend more nights each year in our trailer than some others. We are probably somewhere around 60 nights every year.

And since it never moves, I'm hoping that it will last longer than the average of 10 years.

Plus we don't have to worry about winter storage fees since that's basically included with our seasonal lot rent.

That being said, I'll repeat what many others have mentioned in this thread. The time spent with family and friends having fun every weekend is immeasurable.

Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:22 AM   #66

RVs depreciate faster than almost any other kind of recreational equipment.

I only buy quality used RVs. I have lost very little in the ownership of several different ones in the last 12 years. I bought a used 2005 Nash in 2008 for $11,000 cash during the recession. I sold it 2016 after using it for 8 years, for $9,800. It cost me about $150 year in depreciation. I stored it in my yard. It required one repair that cost $50. Not expensive to own at all. I go to the desert in winter and sleep in the trailer most of the year. The cost per night is negligible. Less than paying for a campsite with a tent.

I have several boats and all of them have gone up in value. I do some work on them and nearly always sell them for more than I paid for them.

Horses and mules are a different story. They cost a lot to own. Many people need a bigger property, a bigger truck, a trailer and corrals and tack. They need feed, a farrier and a vet even if you don't ride them. Many people are horse poor as a result.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer