Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
Site Team

Haylett RV says no more residential fridges.

This had popped up on my YouTube suggestions and I thought was interesting....but it may have been posted before.

Haylett RV says they are done with residential refrigerators. (As far as their stock RVs)

https://youtu.be/ZU5VUpvQQII

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
This had popped up on my YouTube suggestions and I thought was interesting....but it may have been posted before.

Haylett RV says they are done with residential refrigerators. (As far as their stock RVs)

https://youtu.be/ZU5VUpvQQII
I totally agree with Josh on this one.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:46 PM   #3

Absolutely agree with him. I've been saying the same thing for there years. It was simply a way for manufacturers of rv's to save over a thousand dollars on the fridge installation and they attempted to put a great spin on it.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:55 PM   #4

Yea instead they are just installing the battery sucking DC only fridges instead...i am not sure which is worse.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:09 AM   #5

Sorry...I don't put much credence in anything he says.

I do agree that I would never put one in an RV that I couldn't fit through a door or a large window.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Yea instead they are just installing the battery sucking DC only fridges instead...i am not sure which is worse.
The DC fridges that are 10 or 12 cu ft will fit through a standard door since they are the same footprint as a propane fridge. When my propane fridge needs replacing, it will be what I get.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #7
NXR

"By you manipulating the fridge you have voided the warranty."

B.S. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says otherwise.

He seems to be failing to balance benefit with risk because he just sees the risk part. A fridge is used to keep food cool, not plan for the eventual failure. If the failure rates were as high as he alludes to no one would ever install a residential fridge.

The few residential fridge's I've seen installed had an access panel on the outside of the RV to access the stuff in the rear and at the bottom.

Ray
Old 08-14-2020, 01:15 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
I agree somewhat... but... it appears (over the various forums I visit) the Norcold version of this 12v DC compressor refrigerator is maybe getting some bad rap from the crappy Furrion look-alike.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:39 PM   #9

I hate to burst his bubble but they are not that hard to replace. My Frigidaire unit is 36 wide, 23.8 deep without the doors. My camper door is 24.5 wide. If it goes bad I will swap it out with another similar unit. Almost 4 years with trips to Florida and it works great. It is set for 37 and 0 and that is what it stays at even on 100 degree days. The rv units I have had always had to fight during a hot day and freeze things at night.
Only time a residential fridge is not recommended is for boondocking. Other than that one example it is a great deal.

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:51 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Josh is full of sales hype crap, Hey look at me!!. I saw that video and said he is out of touch. My Residential fridge in my Heartland Landmark goes out the door. Take the doors off and out it goes. Insignai counter depth fridge. I had a Norcold side by side 18 cu ft and never could keep ice cream frozen. For us residential it is.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:42 PM   #11

One counter-example...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
"By you manipulating the fridge you have voided the warranty."

B.S. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says otherwise.

He seems to be failing to balance benefit with risk because he just sees the risk part. A fridge is used to keep food cool, not plan for the eventual failure. If the failure rates were as high as he alludes to no one would ever install a residential fridge.

The few residential fridge's I've seen installed had an access panel on the outside of the RV to access the stuff in the rear and at the bottom.

Ray
Ray, one counter-example: Our 2008 Cherokee 38P has a residential fridge and no outside panel. And there is room to carry it out the sliding glass door.

I've owned residential refrigerators since 1973. Never had an expensive issue. A defrost timer once. A hard start kit once, that was only supposed to work for a year--in use since 2010 or so. A starting relay once. IMHO, refrigerators are among the most reliable of all appliances. (Don't ask me what I think of modern heat pumps.)
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:17 PM   #12

In any RV I want the propane refrigerator. I want a unit to work while traveling and also if I end up at a site without electricity. Some sites are even better than ones with electricity. A 12v compressor unit that kills the battery in one day doesn't do it for me. Solar - can't trust it will charge enough on cloudy days, a day or two of rain, etc. I've had a week without electricity at my house and the propane refrigerator just kept on working.

Residential refrigerator is a beast to get through the door, and many repair people won't touch them. Quite frankly the smaller propane refrigerator does the job with less room taken. I will acknowledge an RV parked seasonal used almost like a park model probably makes sense. Camping of less than a week I have never lacked with the propane refrigerator size.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Josh is full of sales hype crap, Hey look at me!!. I saw that video and said he is out of touch. My Residential fridge in my Heartland Landmark goes out the door. Take the doors off and out it goes. Insignai counter depth fridge. I had a Norcold side by side 18 cu ft and never could keep ice cream frozen. For us residential it is.
Did you happen to see his awning video where he claims operating the awning at full speed ruins the gas shocks? I guess he does the same when operating the hatch of his car.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:21 PM   #14
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Did you happen to see his awning video where he claims operating the awning at full speed ruins the gas shocks? I guess he does the same when operating the hatch of his car.
No, but I just did. Wow. My awning only has one speed so I guess I'm doomed to ruin those suckers. Because, you know, I must run them a dozen times a year...

Oh, wait. Does retracting the awning undo the damage done to the gas shocks caused by extending the awning? I hope so.

Ray
Old 08-14-2020, 10:34 PM   #15

We boondock a lot. I have no use for a residential fridge.
My Dad bought a Heartland with one because he liked the idea. He had to upgrade his batteries and TV charging system to just last throughout an 8 hour travel day. They repaired the refrigerator twice in place and then decided to replace it. They had to remove a slide to get it out.
He sold that RV and bought one with propane/electric fridge.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:57 AM   #16

Haylett RV

I agree 100%. Residential Fridges are not built for the "abuse " of traveling down the road, nor are they built to be unplugged and then plugged back in as they are in Campers. They are made to be plugged in once and left on. I've seen way too many people have issues with them right out of the show room. when we were shopping for our current camper, we walked out of any with the residentials in them. they now have the big 2 door rv fridges that hold just as much
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:09 AM   #17

If the fridge is as 12VDC compressor version rather than a 120AC version it may be a good set up. I had a 12VDC cold plate in my boat. It was at least 15 years old and ran like a champ. I could cool a case of beer in one day.

If you have the battery capacity or ability to supply the amperage while traveling the DC compressor fridges would be nice. No need for a chimney or roof vent. That means the fridge is either deeper or you get more room in the trailer.

There are needs for both kinds fridges. Of course build quality goes a long way.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:18 AM   #18

Yes, the 12v fridges are designed from the beginning as RV fridges so they should survive the vibration better
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
If the fridge is as 12VDC compressor version rather than a 120AC version it may be a good set up. I had a 12VDC cold plate in my boat. It was at least 15 years old and ran like a champ. I could cool a case of beer in one day.

If you have the battery capacity or ability to supply the amperage while traveling the DC compressor fridges would be nice. No need for a chimney or roof vent. That means the fridge is either deeper or you get more room in the trailer.

There are needs for both kinds fridges. Of course build quality goes a long way.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:39 PM   #19

Residential fridge

I have to agree with Jack350. One of the 2 things we looked for in our new camper was a real shower and a real fridge. Came from a tow-behind with a 8cuft mini box and quarter round shower to a 5'er with a french door 22 cu ft. dream. As Jack stated, is always cold and in 3 years not a hiccup.
Mikolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:09 PM   #20

Hello All,

have a Class A with Whirlpool residential fridge. We almost didn't but this new in 2017 due to that fridge. Had another class A with 3 way and it was small and not real cold. Not much room. The residential I'm actually very impressed with and we do 75 % dry camping with ATVs in Colorado mountains.

We added 500W solar, two extra batteries for 4 total. We go for minimum 4-5 day long weekends. Like with many RV features like holding tanks, we have "learned" our system. I can go all day/night on solar battery. but it will run down batteries but we also have 4 tvs and we use our "stuff". A couple tricks is to turn off the Fridge at night. Panel on front has a simple process. it is so efficient and we are not opening the door at night the Ice back in freezer never misses a beat. we fire up the generator to make coffee and nuke some breakfast and the batteries get topped off. We do our ATV'ing, hiking and the Solar keeps things topped off. Wash, Rinse, repeat. yes you need solar to keep the batteries topped off and/or generator. As for service I had a frozen water line to fridge (honestly, I now bring bag ice, and water bottles and turn off that water line. I was able however to pull fridge by myself and access the back and a simple part order and I was good to go. If you need extra fridge space and have solar/generator they are great. If I were to order new or buy new I might go back to 3way but it would have to be a big 3 way RV fridge and that would likely use alot of propane......sooooo back to managing my systems.
gdcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge