Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2010, 07:33 AM   #1

heated tanks questions

2702SS on order with heated tanks. I really don't know what I am dealing with? I am trading up to say from a pop up to a travel trailer.

Anyway I have no idea what to expect with actual grey and black water tanks and on top of that what does it mean to have heated tanks?

I live in Kansas and would like to think we would tr to expand our camping time with this new trailer.

With heated tanks can I keep the trailer plugged in and have the tanks stay heated? Or would it be best just to leave it winterized?

How hard and what will be involved in winterizing this trailer?

thanks
threegr8katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #2

Your heated tanks have what is referred to as “Heat Tape” on the bottoms of the tanks.
Basically its adhesive tape with a heating element. They are A/C powered by switches in your TT.
They are not meant to be used while in storage but to extend your camping season in cold environments.

You need to always keep a couple gals of water in the tanks if you have the heaters turned on or the element will burn out.
The heated tanks plus a center ducted heating system will allow you to extend you season through Dec. Here in PA Jan & Feb are just a little too cold.

As for winterizing, each model line has its own little process. The principals are the same model to model but each model has its own fresh water handling system. You need to learn your units ins & outs.
If you don’t have a water heater bypass get to lowes or HD & pick up the parts needed or go to your dealer. They have premade kits.
If you don’t bypass the water heater you will need to have 6 to 10 gals of extra antifreeze on hand. Expensive & wasteful!

A friend was winterizing his first TT 2 years ago. By the time I got over to his house he had made three trips to Walmart & pumped 20 gals into his fresh water tank.
I asked him where was his owner’s manual. After some digging around he handed it to me still in the wrapper.
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #3

Wow that is crazy the anti freeze goes in the lines right not tanks? With a water heater ypass that allows one to winterize system without filling water tank? So as long as water heater is drained then there is no need to put antifreeze in it ?

So I well get my camper in Novemeber, it well be winterized, I could still use it and just not use the water? right? and If I do it would be fairly easy to re winterize it? Ant the heated tanks play into it as allowing me to use the tanks grey and black with out them freezing up?

thanks

2009 F150 SCREW4x4 Prodigy P3 and tow package Valley WDH and dual anti sway
2006 Party Barge 21 90 Merc Optimax
2011 RockWood 2702 SS arrived 11.10.2010
nights camped 2010 6
Old 09-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #4

WH bypass: Correct, with tank drained there’s nothing to freeze.

When you take delivery in Nov, check the water system.
They test it at the factory with air pressure only.
If no one runs any water through it there’s no need to use the anti freeze.
Just leave all the faucets open & you should be good to go.

Some folks will winterize using the above process by draining the system (you will have “low point drains” in your new TT)
They will hook up an air compressor & blowing out all the lines. (40-45 psi)
Again leaving all the faucets open when done. That’s all they do.

Some folks think you need to pour a little antifreeze in each of the P-traps.
IMHO that is not necessary. Within a month enough water will evaporate in the trap to allow for the remaining water to freeze & expand without cracking the PVC.

Good luck
Old 09-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #5

Just wanted to add, just in case, you will be using RV/Marine Antifreeze, the pink stuff.
Not automotive (yellow) stuff.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I know this might be a little elementary, but for the sake of newbies that have never winterized a camper before, here is very important safety information........make sure you use RV antifreeze and not the kind you put in an engine radiator.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #7

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh really I did not know that mtnguy....... Yes I knew that 3 happy campers thanks..... the pink stuff always.

nights camped 2010 6
Old 09-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like my warning was being posted about the same time as 3 Happy Campers........I got beat by 2 minutes.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #9

it is all good, I currently have a pop up that has to be winterized so I know about the pink rv stuff.

nights camped 2010 6
Old 09-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #10

I don't and won't EVER use the antifreeze in my rig. Way too much hassle, expense and trouble to purge when you do want to put water back in. I prefer the air fitting for the city water inlet and about 40lbs of compressed air connected to blow the lines clear of the water. No water means nothing to freeze. Have done this for many years with absolutely zero problems. As we like to use our rig all year long I usually just keep an electric space heater going in it during the winter when it gets below about 45 degrees or so and turn on the tank heaters. I also string rope lights though our water plumbing compartment which keeps enough heat in there to keep stuff from freezing.

I absolutely DESPIZE the RV antifreeze.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:43 PM   #11

Just like NWJeeper I have used compressed air to blow out the water lines. I do put a small amount of the antifreeze in the P-traps just in case. It gets quite cold here in eastern Ontario. I have never had a problem and I do not put any heat in the unit. The pex pipes in any event have significantly fewer problems with freezing than copper.

Mike
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote