Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #1

Heaters for master and bunk house

What are people's thoughts on safest heaters, other than using the furnace? We have a separate master bedroom at the front and a bunkhouse at the back for our 2 year old. I was wondering if it was safe to use a ceramic heater in each room, or what is the safest option? It terrifies me to leave a heater going in his room all night while we all sleep.

What we have been doing is running a single electric heater in the middle space(kitchen and living area) and using the circulating fan( we have duct work to our rooms) to circulate the heat as we keep both room doors closed. This is proving to be very inefficient and the trailer circulating fan is noisy. The neighbours have asked what we lave running all night as well so it is bothering their solitude around the fire at night.

It would be great to be able to leave our fan off and heat each room individually to a better temp, but as safe as possible. Or am I just being paranoid?

Looking for better, and safest solution from you all.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #2

Ceramic heaters are generally safe. We've used one in the past as well in our camper (as well as our previous pop-up). Everyone has their own comfort level though. I probably wouldn't leave it on unless I was close to the camper but if you're close I would think it would be fine.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:06 AM   #3
Always Learning

We run small electric heaters with thermostats (the kind that you set a specific temperature vs. a high/low numbering scheme). We make sure that whatever we get has tip-over protection. And we make sure that we don't run 2 heaters on the same circuit in the camper.

But, the part that stands out to me is your statement of, "It terrifies me to leave a heater going in his room all night while we all sleep." If you're really that uncomfortable with it, the maybe the furnace is the right choice? They're generally more efficient than electric heaters and if you're seasonal, then it's ultimately cheaper since you're likely paying for electricity at your spot.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:11 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. That's the thing, we don't pay for electricity at our site. But I've hear that the furnace eats propane like crazy. And in mid Canada we'll be having some cold nights in spring and fall.But i'd rather us be safe than anything. Just weighing my options I guess.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:12 AM   #5

If we are camping in cold weather, we use a ceramic and an infrared heater to supplement the main propane heater in our fiver … have for years without incident. It makes the propane tanks go way farther between fill-ups and if the electricity is included in the site fee … it's a no brainer. Tens of thousands of people use these same heaters in their stick houses for heat, so I don't see any difference if it's in your RV.
On Edit … yes use of propane only will go quickly. If it is around freezing for several days straight, we could go through both onboard tanks in less than 5 days in our Silverback.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:16 AM   #6
RV There Yet?

You can get an oil filled heater to radiate heat, no fan noise for a sleeping toddler. whatever you decide, make sure it has some form of tip over protection. my ceramic heaters on full power get hot, but not so hot that i cant touch the metal grill on the front. i would stay away from the quartz type heaters in a camper. ceramic heaters are generally considered very safe to use, we run ours all night and do not worry about it, even with a big clumsy dog.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:13 PM   #7
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnerb View Post

What we have been doing is running a single electric heater in the middle space(kitchen and living area) and using the circulating fan( we have duct work to our rooms) to circulate the heat as we keep both room doors closed. This is proving to be very inefficient and the trailer circulating fan is noisy. The neighbors have asked what we lave running all night as well so it is bothering their solitude around the fire at night.

I'm surprised your circulating fan is that noisy. I've found that when our neighbor's gas heat fires up all night long as a jet engine, it's much louder.

As others have said, we use a electric ceramic heater with a built in blower during the night. The first one that gets up will kick in the thermostat for the gas furnace to heat up the cabin a little more for a while.

It's safe, inexpensive (cheaper than burning propane), and pretty efficient, since we prefer a cooler cabin to sleep in.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:25 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

If you are concerned about someone kicking a blanket off the bed onto a heater then I'd probably suggest an oil filled heater. Really though, most/many of the heaters today have tip over and overheat protection.

We have ceramic heaters and they do just fine.

I would stay away from the quartz tube and the old coiled wire/wire strip resistor element types of heaters in a bedroom.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #9

Most Suitable Heater For Cold Nights

Due to family circumstance in my wife’s home town, Bremen, Indiana, our stay was from early December through to late January. Potato Creek State Park became our host. The entire park was shut down except for the area locals could enjoy horse trails. And too, there was a frost proof well on the premises, (this later proved most useful). The first couple weeks of snow I didn’t think much of. But when temperatures reached into the low 20’s I soon learned how fast propane burned using the furnace. At 10° outside, it was obvious an alternative was necessary.

Checking in with the local fire department in Mishawaka, IN and in Bremen, IN learned was the extreme volatility of all recreational vehicles. Finally, checking in with the Nappanee, IN and Elkhart, IN fire departments, I had a consensus; four out of four directives. Every ventless gas heater emits by-products - water vapor, carbon monoxide, and nitrogen dioxide. (That’s why water accumulates on windows inside.) Any other's in some form posed a hazard. A heater with red hot surfaces, e.g., ribbon, ceramic, etc.

As recommended, we purchased two “OIL FILLED RADIANT HEATERS” from Home Depot. Each were 1,500-Watt Radia S ECO Radiant Portable Heaters. As temperatures continued ultimately to -24°, these heaters, one placed in the living area, the other placed below the stairs to the bedroom, worked fantastically! No fear of CO2 or other harmful emissions, no fear collateral incident associated with any other type of heater. In fact, a benefit was drying wet socks and damp shoes at the lower settings. Speaking of settings, these two heaters worked admirably at reduced heat output!

The thermometer pictured depicts -08°, headed downward. The other pictures speak for themselves. A valued lesson learned is that there is absolutely no manufactured RV (trailer pull or 5th Wheel) that is cold proofed—certainly not frost proofed! My wife and I were fortunate there was no damage due the sub-zero temperatures. Hopefully the point of this diatribe conveys a safe and effective way of heating your RV. Bear in mind, these “oil filled radiant heaters” are slow to heat, but within an hour the interior will be toasty warm and dry!

George G. Fries
DAB FL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180101_154420.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	196295   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180101_155200.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	196296   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180101_155457 (1).jpg
Views:	108
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	196297   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180101_155648 (1).jpg
Views:	105
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	196298   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180101_160945.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	196299  

2016 Wildcat 29RLX
2015 RAM, 2500 Crew, 6.4L
4 X 4, Single, 4.10 Rear
GeorgeFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeFries View Post
Due to family circumstance in my wife’s home town, Bremen, Indiana, our stay was from early December through to late January. Potato Creek State Park became our host. The entire park was shut down except for the area locals could enjoy horse trails. And too, there was a frost proof well on the premises, (this later proved most useful). The first couple weeks of snow I didn’t think much of. But when temperatures reached into the low 20’s I soon learned how fast propane burned using the furnace. At 10° outside, it was obvious an alternative was necessary.

Checking in with the local fire department in Mishawaka, IN and in Bremen, IN learned was the extreme volatility of all recreational vehicles. Finally, checking in with the Nappanee, IN and Elkhart, IN fire departments, I had a consensus; four out of four directives. Every ventless gas heater emits by-products - water vapor, carbon monoxide, and nitrogen dioxide. (That’s why water accumulates on windows inside.) Any other's in some form posed a hazard. A heater with red hot surfaces, e.g., ribbon, ceramic, etc.

As recommended, we purchased two “OIL FILLED RADIANT HEATERS” from Home Depot. Each were 1,500-Watt Radia S ECO Radiant Portable Heaters. As temperatures continued ultimately to -24°, these heaters, one placed in the living area, the other placed below the stairs to the bedroom, worked fantastically! No fear of CO2 or other harmful emissions, no fear collateral incident associated with any other type of heater. In fact, a benefit was drying wet socks and damp shoes at the lower settings. Speaking of settings, these two heaters worked admirably at reduced heat output!

The thermometer pictured depicts -08°, headed downward. The other pictures speak for themselves. A valued lesson learned is that there is absolutely no manufactured RV (trailer pull or 5th Wheel) that is cold proofed—certainly not frost proofed! My wife and I were fortunate there was no damage due the sub-zero temperatures. Hopefully the point of this diatribe conveys a safe and effective way of heating your RV. Bear in mind, these “oil filled radiant heaters” are slow to heat, but within an hour the interior will be toasty warm and dry!

George G. Fries
DAB FL

-8 ? I see 8.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #11

Must be one hell of a fan. How noisey is it?
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #12

We use electric heaters. Since we only have 30 amps I don't run both thru the internal wiring of the trailer. I run one from interior wiring and use an extension cord(heavy gauge) plugged in to the 20 amp on the pedestal to run the other. Works great for us but we don't camp where it get's as cold as you are.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #13
Site Team

Oil filled heaters are probably the safest. We have one and a ceramic heater.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #14

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I'm always amazed at how fast this forum is to respond. I would like to go with oil filled but wonder how well it would regulate. In my experience with radiant heaters in a small space they way over shoot desired temp, then the room get really cold, then over shoot etc. etc. Keep in mind I want to heat only our rooms with the doors closed. So an area much smaller than 100 sq ft. Would a oil filled radiant heater be good for that size?
Old 02-06-2019, 04:51 PM   #15
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I'm always amazed at how fast this forum is to respond. I would like to go with oil filled but wonder how well it would regulate. In my experience with radiant heaters in a small space they way over shoot desired temp, then the room get really cold, then over shoot etc. etc. Keep in mind I want to heat only our rooms with the doors closed. So an area much smaller than 100 sq ft. Would a oil filled radiant heater be good for that size?
i use one in a room that size and it works quite well. remember your trailer will have less insulation and more heat loss than you expect. whats nice about the oil filled ones is that you have 3 heat settings and you can get a digital one, so you can set precise heat settings. you can experiment a little bit, try all the heat settings at your desired temp. see how it does. you will probably find that you can get away with the lowest setting and it will maintain nicely!
Old 02-06-2019, 05:10 PM   #16
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Heat rises, cold lowers.

Any time you use a space heater, instead of forced air furnace with a cold air return, you will give up some comfort with no even air flow.

Whether it's ceramic or oil radiator, you will have uneven heat at different levels.

We often set our small ceramic at about 60 degrees, because it's on the floor, meaning it's much warmer 4 feet up.

Also, if you are opening the door, it will take a space heater longer to recover a comfortable temperature than force air heater.

Enjoy camping, it's part of it, get an extra quilt for the bed

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #17

Oil-Filled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeFries View Post
Last year the furnace couldn't be used due to a converter issue. We stayed in the TT (in southeastern Virginia) for several nights using two oil-filled radiant heaters, one plugged into a GFI outlet and the other plugged into a non-GFI outlet (separate 15 amp circuits). We're on a 30 amp pedestal. We typically ran one at 1500 watts and the other at 600 or 900 watts, but could run both at 1500 overnight. They worked pretty well for us, heating a 38' destination trailer (Cherokee 38P).

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #18

Doors closed?

Quote:
Not sure why you want to keep the doors closed. Even when running the regular furnace (electricity is metered at our site--I've had $75 bills for running the heaters for five days), we need to keep the doors open or the master bedroom cooks before the kitchen/living/dining area begins to get warm.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:08 PM   #19

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ce-178320.html
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #20

We run two of the oil filled radiators for the coldest nights. We are at 5000' in the Sierras. This has been a cold, snowy winter. Days in 30s and 40s, nights are single digits to the teens. One is in the living area (kitchen/living room) the other is in the bath with the door open to the bedroom. We sometimes have the bath radiator on the lowest setting at night and sleep with a mattress pad heater.
Nothing is going to be fool-proof with kids, just have to decide what is the least risk for your family and needs.
The cost of propane would eat us alive. If you blow breakers, then try running one of the heaters off the pole instead of both plugged into the trailer. We have run the bathroom one off an exterior outlet on our patio when we had guests staying. They kept blowing the breakers because they had a lot of stuff running at the same time. Unfortunately, this is not the Hilton. Running the microwave, fridge, keurig (always pulling power for the timer, like the microwave with the clock) would trip the kitchen breaker. Their choice was to unplug the microwave when not in use since we have a battery clock on the wall. Putting it in the living room with the tv, roku, and laptops connected would blow that one. They chose to unplug the tv and roku since they were not using it. In the bed/bath area the circuit will trip if someone is using lots of appliances like hair dryer, electric toothbrush, electric blanket, alarm clocks, electronics charger, laptops...many of these have constant draws when not in use so unplugging them and not using lots of them at the same time helped in that area, to a point. But the bath/bed one is the one we chose to plug into the house outlet with a heavy duty extension cord that we run through the exterior door in the bedroom through a wee little gap we found in the frame.
briteday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk, bunk house, heater