Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Heaters for RVing

Lets start a blog for full timers and winter camping. What besides your installed furnace do you use (and why) to supplement heat during your winter campout. I have a bunkhouse model 5th wheel so we use two. Next to the door we have a Honeywell HZ-817 (main supplier of sup heat and very quiet). The bunkhouse is converted to a sitting room with R/R's so we use a Milkhouse as necessary. Both are electric and have to be ran off seperate circuits, this allows the operation of toasters, E-skillets, or just about anything you need to plug in. The Milkhouse is noisy and not used very much. So..... Let me hear about it. What ya gonna use this winter....
Attached Images

donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #2

We not full timer's, but use a milk house heater as our primary heat source because most CG's charge the same regardless of the amount of electricity used. We also have electrically heated mattresses. So between the two we are quite comfortable.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #3

This Lasko is made to be able to place the back against the wall. Works well in my TT. Has a continuous fan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0150.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	20854  
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierGus View Post
This Lasko is made to be able to place the back against the wall. Works well in my TT. Has a continuous fan.
How's the noise level with that fan?
Old 10-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #5

It's pretty quiet. Noise was not a problem at all. I did not have it on overnight because even set at 1 it kept our smaller TT warmer then we like to sleep in. (temp was approx 28-30 degrees outside). We used the furnace at night so we could set a lower temperature. (Minnesotans like it cold at night.) It's not a big unit and tucked right up against the wall-out of the way.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #6
Love My Sunseeker

I started with a small ceramic heater. Wasn't happy with those.

Went to a parabolic heat dish Amazon.com: Presto HeatDish - Parabolic Electric Heater: Home & Kitchen and I loved it because it pulled less amps (1300 watts as opposed to 1500 watts, do the math, watts divided by volts) and was quite toasty! But it took up a lot of room and the "light" on it was bright, and sometimes kept me awake, even though it was in the front of the RV and I slept in back. I don't close the door to the bedroom because I have a cat and it needs to get up for food and litter box.

I finally settled on oil filled radiators. I got a large one for the front of the RV, and a small one (that only pulls about 4-5 amps) for the bathroom.

If the lows are 40-60, I use only the large radiator in the front. If it gets below 40 at night, I use both the large one in front and the small one in the bathroom.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #7

These are fantastically efficient and ultra-quiet. We carry 2 with us.

Vornado Whole Room Vortex Heater: Heating, Cooling, & Air Quality : Walmart.com
Attached Images

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:16 AM   #8

I just installed an electric fireplace in our Wildcat.....should be more than enough.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
I just installed an electric fireplace in our Wildcat.....should be more than enough.
Did you get any pics on that?
Old 11-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
Villa Estate 392FLFB

in the rear bedroom have an oil filled electric radiator that has a "one touch" button to heat to 22c / 71f. has low and med switch, hit both for max but never needs more then min.

this year out front im using an infrared tower heater by noma. has high and low settings that is 450w for low and 900w for high. puts out a ton of heat and has option to pan back and forth and timer settings. can use both heaters on one circuit and not blow the breaker! (seems one half length wise of my trailer is on one breaker and the other half on another).

stopped using the electric fireplace because well it is not reliable. the heat randomly works when it wants to...
Old 11-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #11

EdenPure for our 5er. If it got really cold I don't know how it would do but I've used it down around freezing with good results.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
Oklahoma Proud

I placed a 1500 eden pure in our 34' 5er to see how it would do on its own with out the furnace. It got down to 28-29deg f. outside one night and in the morning it was 55 deg in the trailer. It helps a lot though on chilly days!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #13

Last year we used a 1500 watt heater in the living room and a oil filled heater in the bedroom. Did not use the propane furnace at all. The two heaters kept the temp. in the TT at 70 even when the outside temp. went below freezing. We were camping in BC and had a lot of rain so we also used a dehumidifier. The year before we were always cold when running the gas furnace and one electric heater. Did not realize that the dampness in the TT was making us feel cold. We were on meters and had to pay for hydro. It was costing us $100 per month less heating the TT with electric heater and not having the gas furnace on.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #14

we just camped last weekend where it got down to 18 degrees overnight, we carried our Life Smart IR Heater with us which kept the trailer around 55-60 on its own which is still too cold for my wife so we also ran a small "bathroom" style heater on the other end of the trailer, which i quickly found out needed to be ran on a seperate circuit.

right before bed or every few hours i would crank up the trailer propane furnace for about 15 minutes so the electric ones didnt have to work so hard to keep my wife warm

the propane furnace will run you out it gets so hot, so if all else fails i know its there!

2011 Dodge Ram
2013 Rockwood 8319SS
dsotmoon is offline   Reply With Quote