Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #1

heating during storage?

I was wondering what might be the best way to provide some heating to my motor home while I store it for the winter? I have it parked on a pad next to my garage with a cover on it and I have it winterized. But I've gone into it a couple of times and found it pretty cold inside. I know a lot of people keep their RV plug in during storage and I was wondering if anyone puts a small electric heater in to warm things up a little? Or what might I do about this?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #2

Plug it in and buy one or two of the oil filled. Heaters to place in side
This is just to spread some heat in your MH

You have it winterized through out ?
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like it's covered, meaning all slides are in...what would be the purpose of heating it?

Our camper sits in the driveway all year plugged in, no heat. I've plugged in a ceramic heater to warm it up if I'm doing work in it in the early spring.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Sounds like it's covered, meaning all slides are in...what would be the purpose of heating it?

Our camper sits in the driveway all year plugged in, no heat. I've plugged in a ceramic heater to warm it up if I'm doing work in it in the early spring.

Dave
x2. We don't heat ours during the winter unless we're working on a mod, fix, etc.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping

Don't see any need to heat, winterize, cover and forget about it

Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I don't see any reason to heat your mh.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

When the temperatures get down into the lower teens or lower, I will either the furnace of a small electric heater so the vinyl floor doesn't crack.....I have read that that can be a problem sometimes.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

If I haven't winterized yet and a coldspell comes in I use 2 electric heaters set on 600 watts. I plug one into the standard receptacle circuit up front and the other into the GFIC circuit in the rear bathroom with the door open. That way I can turn them up to 1500 watts if I go out to watch football and not trip a breaker. I also leave the cabinet doors open so the heat gets to the water lines. I'll turn on the Artic Pack as well. So far in 6 years I've done this twice.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #9

Sounds like I don't need to worry about it, I have been told to run the generator once in a while to reduce problems with it. I figure on running the diesel engine at lease once a week after the real cold weather starts. any other suggestions? or ideas?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #10

I use a small (750 watt) oil filled heater. I set it on low, just enough to keep it from going to freezing temps inside the trailer. what that does is it sets up convection currents in the trailer to move the air so the dessicant traps can do a better job of keeping things dry inside. Kind of important living here in Vancouver.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I was wondering what might be the best way to provide some heating to my motor home while I store it for the winter? I have it parked on a pad next to my garage with a cover on it and I have it winterized. But I've gone into it a couple of times and found it pretty cold inside. I know a lot of people keep their RV plug in during storage and I was wondering if anyone puts a small electric heater in to warm things up a little? Or what might I do about this?

When we toured the CC plant in Topeka, IN. there were dozens of FW's parked outside the plant. It can get cold in IN and I wonder if CC winterizes them during storage and also during transporting them to dealers in the winter states. Of course, I assume during the cold months, there would not be any fluids aboard.

Also, how do dealers in the cold weather states handle the winter cold issue on units they have parked outside?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #12

How cold does it get in Vancover? Here we get below freezing from about Dec. through Jan. with some real cold temps in between, sometimes below zero for a couple of weeks. I may do something with heating during those periods but other wise I think I'll let it go.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #13
Wanna Be Camper

We get down to -30 or -40 and I never heat the trailer. Just winterize and leave it till spring.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks
We get down to -30 or -40 and I never heat the trailer. Just winterize and leave it till spring.
X2
Old 10-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
When we toured the CC plant in Topeka, IN. there were dozens of FW's parked outside the plant. It can get cold in IN and I wonder if CC winterizes them during storage and also during transporting them to dealers in the winter states. Of course, I assume during the cold months, there would not be any fluids aboard.

Also, how do dealers in the cold weather states handle the winter cold issue on units they have parked outside?
From what I understand, all new campers, whether at the manufacturer or dealer, are winterized. What I mean is that water has never been put in their system. Any testing that is done for leaks, is done with compressed air.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #16
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
From what I understand, all new campers, whether at the manufacturer or dealer, are winterized. What I mean is that water has never been put in their system. Any testing that is done for leaks, is done with compressed air.

Dave
That makes sense to me.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I was just at www.Cheyenncampingcenter.com yesterday and new and used models were getting winterized via blown out first then antifreeze added.

Just my 2 pennies.

Turbs
Old 10-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #18
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I was just at www.Cheyenncampingcenter.com yesterday and new and used models were getting winterized via blown out first then antifreeze added.

Just my 2 pennies.

Turbs
Sounds about right. I wonder why the AF being added on new units if they were winterized with air?

PS - I tried to defend you and the roads in your state that some of the guys were bad mouthing here last hight, but I don't think I was successful.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #19

Don't get me wrong, heating is not a substitute for winterizing, I do that too. Just we, here in Vancouver, deal with a humidity issue in winter too. I am always surprised at the amount of water gets trapped by the dessicant traps I use, and I use 2 and drain them sometimes 2 times a month. I have tried it without heat and there is not the same amount of water getting trapped. After 4 years, the trailer still has that new smell in the spring. Besides, when spending around $1000 per foot of trailer, I'm not taking any chances with mould, mildew, rot. I am going to be very proactive in moisture control.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote