Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #1

Help - Used Motorhome Purchased Needs $10,000 Worth of Repair

Hi all. My husband and I purchased a 1998 Coachmen motorhome last year to use so that we could drive across the Country and have a place to live while looking for a permanent home since we are losing our home here.

We purchased an older unit because money was a huge concern because of losing our home and not showing anything of value on our record because banks will go after us for a deficiency.

We were told the coach was in good conditon and a great buy at $11,000 with 46,000 miles. We have kept it in a lot and are getting read to make the trip and brought it first to an RV dealer and then to a Ford dealer to check the motor and chasis.

The RV dealer told us we needed a new roof, A/C service and a new converter which is very costly at around $7,500.

The Ford service rep just called to tell me we need new Front brake calipers and Front brake hoses so that they can do some other test, which I forgot what he called it. He said it looks like the brakes had never been flushed. This alone will cost $1,100.

This $11,000 plus tax $12,000 RV will now be more expensive than had we purchased new. In addition we have already sunk about $4,000 in customizing (satellite, tv's new faucets, toilet and other stuff).

We don't have this kind of money to put into a 1998 RV.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Jill
1998 Coachmen Leprechaun 31Q

Old 04-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk Mom View Post
Hi all. My husband and I purchased a 1998 Coachmen motorhome last year to use so that we could drive across the Country and have a place to live while looking for a permanent home since we are losing our home here.

We purchased an older unit because money was a huge concern because of losing our home and not showing anything of value on our record because banks will go after us for a deficiency.

We were told the coach was in good conditon and a great buy at $11,000 with 46,000 miles. We have kept it in a lot and are getting read to make the trip and brought it first to an RV dealer and then to a Ford dealer to check the motor and chasis.

The RV dealer told us we needed a new roof, A/C service and a new converter which is very costly at around $7,500.

The Ford service rep just called to tell me we need new Front brake calipers and Front brake hoses so that they can do some other test, which I forgot what he called it. He said it looks like the brakes had never been flushed. This alone will cost $1,100.

This $11,000 plus tax $12,000 RV will now be more expensive than had we purchased new. In addition we have already sunk about $4,000 in customizing (satellite, tv's new faucets, toilet and other stuff).

Jill
Just had brake rotors turned and new pads put on for $165. Fluid does not need to be flushed. He is feeding you a line of BS. Get it out of there.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Ford dealer is most likely up selling you.

Was there any brake problems ? Pull left or right when hitting brake pedal ?
What did they "say" was wrong with the calipers ? Hoses ?
Brake fluid admittedly should be flushed per the owners manual but it isn't "that" critical.

What is the issue with the roof ? "did they say"

Not sure what "a/c" service is as I had a rooftop a/c on my truck bed camper that was 15 years old and never had the cover off it.

The converter either works or it doesn't for the most part.
Was your battery going dead ?

Lots of questions lol

turbs
Old 04-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
MI Camperz

Herk also told you to repair not replace the roof since it wasn't torn. He suggested eternabond tape. Herk also told you the converter did not need to be replaced after he had you test it and it works. Herk also suggested doing the clean out of your A/C yourself, since that still worked you stated. The bottom line I got from your first thread about this and with OCs observation is that the place may be a scam. Have you looked into the other suggestions? Taken it elsewhere?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If interested I have some everseal tape same as "eternabond" and cheaper for sale if interested .

turbs
Old 04-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Broken Toe

At the point of sounding flippiant...

Learn to do the work yourself.

$1100 for calipers and hoses? Sheesh! Calipers from autzone list at about $40 each. Lines are $20. Add $20 for fluid and sundries and you are looking at $140 for the whole thing. And I call BS on 'flushing the brakes" I have had plenty of WAAAAAYYY older vehicles and I never 'flush' the brake lines. Might have to bleed them, but not 'flush' them just for the hell of it. I have no idea what other test would be required.

New roof? Maybe. New A/C on a 13 year old camper? Doubt it. Maybe a cleaning and refrigerant recharge. Possibly the fan motor is bad. But unless it was ripped off by a low branch, I highly doubt there is enough wrong to warrant a complete replacement of the roof A/C.

Never trust the word of anyone who tells you of a problem if they are expecting to be paid to rectify the problem. i'm sure there are some honest mechanics out there, but they are few and far between. For all you know the ford mechanic really dreads working on your motorhome, so they inflated the estimate hoping you go away. I have seen that done more than once.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Old 04-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #7

Flippant is okay, but my husband is disabled and while he knows how to do the work and has done this type of work many times in the past, he can't do it now.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #8

Bodz, I understand and thanks for the reprimand. I am asking about the overall situation. I called the place where we purchased this from and spoke to the General Manager. He listened to the problems and said he would call me back later.

We are going to bring the coach to another dealer for the brakes as we know that is a real problem and not made up like some of the others.

We'll keep a roll of tape in the coach as well.

There was a recall on the refrigerator a few years ago that was never done and we had that work done. My concern is that if that wasn't done, obviously the prior owners did not take care of the coach as we were told, what else is wrong if they neglected the recall of the fridge?

Old 04-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
MI Camperz

It would be easier to sort through if you kept one thread. Your nearly identical one with all the suggestions is "Used Camper Issues" posted recently. Good luck! I would follow the cost-effective advice from both posts here and take it elsewhere, perhaps with these suggestions in print.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
Phat Phrog

Tonk Mom I admire your grit! Hang in there girl! Bless you and your DH!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
It would be easier to sort through if you kept one thread. Your nearly identical one with all the suggestions is "Used Camper Issues" posted recently. Good luck! I would follow the cost-effective advice from both posts here and take it elsewhere, perhaps with these suggestions in print.
That thread was a post I made in response another thread started by someone else. One of the moderators moved it to it's own place and then told me; I did not start it and had no intention of it being it's own thread.

The thread I started today was started by me with new information because I am looking for help and want to have a thread for it now.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #12

So I just called the Ford dealer and told him not to do any work. We will pick up the RV and find someone else to do the work if we buy the parts as was suggested.

It's all so very upsetting as we are trying to get out of here soon.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #13

We are bring the RV to another mechanic now and I have calmed down a bit. This person doesn't seem like he is going to try to rape us and had something different to say than what the Ford dude said.

Our new faucets arrived today. We got the same one for the bathroom as a few people got and a similiar looking one for the kitchen.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #14

Where are you located? Maybe someone has a better suggestion for a service place.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
Graduate Member

Do you have an adult male family member/friend to go with to the next garage? Maybe it's stating the obvious, but with your lack of knowledge it sounds like the first dealership was really trying to hose you.

I don't know anything about cars, but as a guy I get a LOT less upsell and "we need to fix this problem" than my wife when she takes the car in.
2012 - 26 days

Old 04-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #16
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk Mom View Post

Jill
As I understand it - you used a couple terms that make me think you are in bankruptcy. You decided to buy an RV, but a cheap one, to try and avoid paying the deficiency in your bankruptcy. You then sunk 4K cash into it for necessities like satellite TV...

Now you have decided this is not such a great idea after all.

You have gotten a wealth a good advice to address your specific problems, which it sounds like you have mostly ignored.

Now you want "suggestions."

Perhaps a new orientation on what you have gotten yourself into is in order. For many people, the RV lifestyle is just that, a lifestyle. It is often not a means to en an end, in other words not something you do because you lost your house, but rather a choice made to engage in something that takes a bit more work, but has higher rewards. It is also a lifestyle that requires both practical knowledge and the physical ability to maintain and repair your RV. Or in the alternative, the money to hire others to do that for you.

It frankly does not sound you are cut out for the RV lifestyle. If the suggestions Herk posted either seem like to much work, or simply too complicated, you really need to evaluate your decisions.

Yes - from the little information you posted above, it sounds like some of the services you mentioned were being overbilled. Without sufficient technical knowledge to understand the items that need to be repaired or replaced, it is hard to know if you are being screwed.

Perhaps you should post your location and look for advice on a reputable shop in your area to contact from other members here. That is the most positive suggestion I can make.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #17

We are not in bankruptcy, we have chosen to walk away from a house that is worth half of what we owe and the bank won't budge on modification. We put a huge downpayment on the house and are not deadbeats who put nothing down and lived for free...not that you need to know that much as you don't sound very compassionate anyway. We just need a place to live while we figure out a permanent place to live. We've been wanting an RV anyway so that we can travel and camp.

We are doing many of Herk's suggestions but can only do so much with a disabled person. We found another garage with better prices and will find out more tomorrow.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Just had brake rotors turned and new pads put on for $165. Fluid does not need to be flushed. He is feeding you a line of BS. Get it out of there.
Not to take this in a side argument on flushing brake lines but that is a bold blanket statement 'brake lines don't need to be flushed'. I have done the brakes many cars motorcycles and trucks that have had needless repairs done because no one has flushed out the brake lines. Granted its not as common as it used to be as the brake fluid is better these days. I flush the fluid on by 99 Valkyrie every two years and on a 99 RV that has sat around most of its life that would be one of the first things i would do before introducing new parts to the old contaminated fluid. A Mityvac makes quick easy and cheap work out of it and it makes a world of difference in how your brakes feel and work.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Not to take this in a side argument on flushing brake lines but that is a bold blanket statement 'brake lines don't need to be flushed'. I have done the brakes many cars motorcycles and trucks that have had needless repairs done because no one has flushed out the brake lines. Granted its not as common as it used to be as the brake fluid is better these days. I flush the fluid on by 99 Valkyrie every two years and on a 99 RV that has sat around most of its life that would be one of the first things i would do before introducing new parts to the old contaminated fluid. A Mityvac makes quick easy and cheap work out of it and it makes a world of difference in how your brakes feel and work.
All I can say is I've been working on cars since 1954 and have never run across what you call "contaminated" brake fluid unless the system has been left open. Even if it is a 99 and been stored, the system is sealed and unless the master cyl top has been left off, the fluid in 99 vehicles has numerous additives to combat moisture, etc. I would not object to a shop flushing if it were a freebie, but I would not pay for it. Just my opinion.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #20

I did the brakes on a 94 Ford. I replaced the pads and new rotors. Two weeks later the pads and rotor where shot. The brake line was so blocked with junk that it would not release the pressure and just wore the pad to nothing. I think a flushing would have saved this expensive repair if done years ago.
Like I said not to start an argument but in manuals for many cars trucks and Motorcycles including mine it states to flush the fluid every two years and I do. The fluid after years of not is full of water and will damage the brake system. I don't care how you do your that is up to you. I only took issue to the statement that it is not necessary as I believe you will find listed as a PM item in many service manuals. Again do what you do I'm sure you have never had a issue. I also would not pay someone to do it and certainly not what was quoted to the OP for this simple and inexpensive PM that is good piece of mind. Like I said to each his own I am just giving a different opinion on wether it should be done and I say yes but do it yourself.HowStuffWorks "Is brake flushing really necessary?"

Closed Thread