Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2017, 12:20 AM   #1

Help with TV antenna signal distribution

We took delivery of our like new 2007 Georgetown 378TS today. The sales company went above and beyond what we could have hoped for. They took the original TV out of the bedroom and installed our flat screen TV in it's place but couldn't check it because we had the remote at home. When we got home and turned on the TV, there was no signal found. The front TV works perfectly, in fact, they installed a new 32" flat screen in the place of the old tube type because it didn't work. There is a distribution center box in the right upper cabinet above the dash on the passenger side. It has several push buttons on it. The far left one is the antenna booster button which is on. The next three is for the TV/vcr/dvd in the living room and the last three are labeled bedroom TV/vcr/dvd. I turned the living room TV on and pushed the button on the box to what I thought would disconnect the TV from the antenna but no change. I pushed the TV button in labeled bedroom but on change. Can anyone give me some help? The living room cabinet has one antenna cable in it and the bedroom cabinet has one antenna cable in it.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:27 AM   #2

Did original tv work?
ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:34 AM   #3

My bedroom tv didn't work from the get go. Found the coaxial cable was pulled out of the splitter
Old 08-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnson1144 View Post
Did original tv work?
Don't know if the original one worked or not. Where is the splitter?
Old 08-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #5

Mine had a outside port and 12 volt plug to watch tv out side. I had to remove the outlet out side and reach in to grab coax the splinter came out as I pulled the cable through the outlet hole.
Other wise it was under fridge.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:15 PM   #6

Start with looking under the fridge via access panel if there is one
Old 08-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnson1144 View Post
Mine had a outside port and 12 volt plug to watch tv out side. I had to remove the outlet out side and reach in to grab coax the splinter came out as I pulled the cable through the outlet hole.
Other wise it was under fridge.
I don't have an outside TV hook up, just a cable TV input. I'll look under the fridge. Thanks
Old 08-14-2017, 10:15 AM   #8

how are the tV's wired?

I have a new 2018 Coachmen Concord with 3 TV's (living area, bedroom and outside tv. It came with a DISH satellite system and a OTA King tailgaterantenna. I camp with mostly trees and tried DISH but it's a total waste pretty much. The OTA antenna is supposed to get a lot more channels than it does, but it hardly gets 2-3 channels even though we are well under the 50 miles away from the tv stations. When we scan for OTA stations each of the 3 TVs get diff channels. Aren't they all tied in to the same OTA antenna? How about the 2 outside cable tv connections? If I hook an external DISH or DIRECTV to it how do I know what TVs they are hooked to? I know I'm asking a lot but the main thing I want is what I can install to be able to receive the best OTA tv stations? Thanks.
chief5631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #9

Join the club tv in bedroom doesn't get the same channels
In my coach. I am thinking the signal diminishes quite quickly
with cable length. Ill let you know if I come up with a fix.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 08-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #10

Thanks for the input. another question...Why wouldn't OTA stations come in if I am only 43 miles away from the main tv stations? The OTA says 100 miles? And then one main station will come in perfectly sometimes for hours and not be reachable any longer?
chief5631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:49 PM   #11

Digital signal is fidgety. To much signal is also bad. Try adjusting fine tuner on antenna booster to lower level .
Old 08-14-2017, 01:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief5631 View Post
Thanks for the input. another question...Why wouldn't OTA stations come in if I am only 43 miles away from the main tv stations? The OTA says 100 miles? And then one main station will come in perfectly sometimes for hours and not be reachable any longer?
Digital TV has much less power and much more finicky that analog ever was. First off, you need to point the face of the antenna toward the tower, which you are trying to pick up. To do that, you'll need to know which way the antenna actually faces. 90% of the time, it is NOT the little arrow on the front of your antenna direction dial (little pull down mechanism you turn to change the direction of the antenna). I had to look on the roof to see how the antenna was installed and then put a little mark of the inside handle to show which way it faced.

43 miles away SHOULD work fine, but if you have a lot of trees, a couple of hills, etc. in between you and that signal, it can keep you from receiving it during certain parts of the day. I was in one campground and we had transmitters only 25 miles away. However, they were on the other side of the mountain, so we couldn't receive any of the channels from it.

Nighttime is the best time to receive the tv signals. You will likely find you can receive more channels during the night, than during the day.

Get an app, which shows you the direction you need to point, or use a compass and the FCC list the towers to aim your antenna toward the tower needed for the channel you want to receive.

Good luck with the wiring. It can be a pain to troubleshoot wiring problems.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:22 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Is the TV set to cable or antenna on the menu? After that you will need to do a channel search program from the menu. After about 5 minutes of searching you will see what channels are available. If only a few show up turn the antenna and try again.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:29 PM   #14

I had to put a new coax from my Batwing down to the amplifier on the fifth wheel we had. Amish craftsmen crimped the end where it went into the roof with several strands of the shield touching the center conductor. I used to install Dish/Direct TV type satellite systems and know that each time a coax has a connection either thru a barrel connector and especially a splitter, the signal is reduced. Add on top of that, bad connector crimps and there is not much left at the TV. Haven't been out to recheck mine (105 temps) but sill soon. Thanks for all the comments.

Tags
antenna