Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2021, 09:53 AM   #1

Hitch bike carrier for fifth wheel?

I have a fifth wheel, I'm going to add a hitch receiver to the bumper so I can bring our bikes- I'd prefer the hitch style so when we get where we're going I can use it on my truck as well. Problem is all the hitch style bike holders say not rated for campers. Has anyone used these on a camper bumper without issue or found one rated for a camper bumper?

My bumper is rated for 300lbs(I'll need a 5 bike carrier, 2 adult bikes and 3 kid bikes ). I'll leave my bike in the camper when traveling to decrease stress on the bumper.

Thanks for any advice!
Brendon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:57 AM   #2

Check etrailer for the different types.

We found one that was approved for use behind a toad there.

They have search so you can find the different ones that are approved for use behind campers etc.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:59 PM   #3

You are not going to be able to safely carry several bikes on a bumper style carrier. Camper bumpers just aren't designed for this. Look into adding a frame mounted dual hitch point bike carrier and let the bumper add some support to this rack.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon44 View Post
I have a fifth wheel, I'm going to add a hitch receiver to the bumper so I can bring our bikes- I'd prefer the hitch style so when we get where we're going I can use it on my truck as well. Problem is all the hitch style bike holders say not rated for campers. Has anyone used these on a camper bumper without issue or found one rated for a camper bumper?

My bumper is rated for 300lbs(I'll need a 5 bike carrier, 2 adult bikes and 3 kid bikes ). I'll leave my bike in the camper when traveling to decrease stress on the bumper.

Thanks for any advice!
Like this?

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:41 AM   #5

hitch

As others have said, bumper will not handle 5bikes.

Hitch needs to be connected to the frame.

See below example

Note bolt on top of receiver tube. bolt is tightened and jam nutted to to keep bike rack from bouncing in receiver tube like you see in the video.

cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:32 AM   #6

Take your RV to a local welder, an RV shop that also welds, or a hitch installer, and have them weld a hitch with supports to your frame after describing what weight you need to support. Then buy whatever bike rack you want.
Numerous RVers I know (including myself) have done this and never had a problem. I was also surprised at how cheaply this safe and secure mod can be accomplished.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:14 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon44 View Post

Thanks for any advice!
As has been mentioned, DO NOT add a hitch receiver to the bumper whether it is rated for 300 lbs. or not. That rating IS NOT for something hanging off the rear of the bumper by a couple feet bouncing around.

Do what others have suggested and find someone who will build, bolt or weld a receiver to your frame. Then buy whatever bike holder you feel would be a good fit for the bikes you own.

As NMWildcat says, once you have a hitch receiver as secure as something on an automobile/truck, I have not seen any issues with them just because they are on the back of a trailer. It's the ones mounted to flimsy bumpers that will break and drag the bikes down the highway... or worse... come off on the highway.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=88
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:33 PM   #8

Correct on those posts. 300lbs applied in which way? Certainly not twisting force. Probably vertical load. Once it starts extending behind the bumper the applied load increases.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:31 PM   #9

My used fifth wheel came with a receiver welded to the frame and also supported by the rear bumper. I used it to carry two adult bikes utilizing a wheel mount style carrier I already had. After one season of doing this (last year with reduced camping trips), I switched to a roof mount rack for my tow vehicle. The bikes took a total beating. Headlights lost lens. Brake and shift cables lost supports and subsequently broke. I am much happier with the bikes on the top of the pickup truck. Roof rack cost more than I wanted to spend when I started taking them camping. After what I have paid to fix the bikes, I wish I had bit the bullet to start.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewinterbee View Post
My used fifth wheel came with a receiver welded to the frame and also supported by the rear bumper. I used it to carry two adult bikes utilizing a wheel mount style carrier I already had. After one season of doing this (last year with reduced camping trips), I switched to a roof mount rack for my tow vehicle. The bikes took a total beating. Headlights lost lens. Brake and shift cables lost supports and subsequently broke. I am much happier with the bikes on the top of the pickup truck. Roof rack cost more than I wanted to spend when I started taking them camping. After what I have paid to fix the bikes, I wish I had bit the bullet to start.
I don’t think I would want to put my E-bikes up there.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:43 AM   #11

This is what you need. It bothers me to even hang my spare tire on the box bumper. I had mine reinforced by the welder guy that installed my hitch.
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-13703-Ad...0590137&sr=8-4
Five bikes will be a load. You may want to split them up between a rear mount, and a front mount rack.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:38 PM   #12

Try this link: https://www.carparts.com/search?q=trailer_hitch.

This is the old JC Whitney catalog now called CarParts.Com. I bought a hitch from them back when I had a Ford Escape and it was the best darn hitch, better than anything you see from Hidden Hitch, Reese or anything U-Haul installs.

Check under your trailer to see which mount style will fit. Most hitches are "bolted" to the frame not welded.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:57 PM   #13
Have Camera will Travel

Another solution is have a front mount hitch on the tow vehicle. We did that with our C class. Its overkill with a max 750 lb tongue weight but it also gives you a place pull from if you ever get stuck.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Take your RV to a local welder, an RV shop that also welds, or a hitch installer, and have them weld a hitch with supports to your frame after describing what weight you need to support. Then buy whatever bike rack you want.
Numerous RVers I know (including myself) have done this and never had a problem. I was also surprised at how cheaply this safe and secure mod can be accomplished.

a cheaper alternative, just for bikes, is a universal receiver hitch that bolts to the rear frame rails, https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...urt/13703.html
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
a cheaper alternative, just for bikes, is a universal receiver hitch that bolts to the rear frame rails, https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...urt/13703.html
I disagree. My weldup job was cheaper AND more sturdy!
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:02 AM   #16

hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I disagree. My weld up job was cheaper AND more sturdy!

Totally agree.

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbvp View Post
Totally agree.

C.B.
I had my welder reinforce my factory frame mounted hitch on the back of my 5er. I think the whole back of my trailer would have to rip off for that thing to fail.

I use the Thule Easy Fold XT2 ebike rack on the back of our 5er. It is built like a tank and we can see it in the rear view camera. It wiggles but it doesn't bounce and we have been over some awful roads. I like our setup and am confident it will hold up.
1200W solar > 412 Ah LiFePO4 > Victron MultiPlus II > Cerbo GX
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 12:10 AM   #18
Retired Engineer

Bike Rack Must be "Trailer Rated"

There are two issues:
1. Receiver must be mounted to the frame - not the bumper.
2. The bike rack must be "trailer rated". "RV Rated" is not good enough. You have to really dig through a bike rack manual to find out whether it is trailer rated. The vast majority are not - and they don't mention that in their adds or on the box. Trailers have a side-to-side oscillation at a rate of about once per 1.5 seconds. Metal fatigue causes the racks to fail and fall off.

And, I have been trying to buy a trailer-rated bike rack for the last 6 months with no luck - backordered with no promised delivery date.
bcramer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, fifth wheel, hitch, wheel