Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2019, 09:32 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasegen View Post
We have Verizon unlimited plan. We can’t get cable where we live and satellite doesn’t work because of trees. We have Roku connected to our TV and stream Amazon. We did get a signal booster because phone signal isn’t great without it. We use one of our phones as a hotspot. Works great for us. We plan on taking it with us when we head for Alaska for the summer. Verizon unlimited also lets us use our service while going through Canada for no extra charges. That part worked great for us last summer. Verizon currently has a 55+ unlimited plan. $80 per month for 2 lines if you are over 55 years old. You can only have 2 lines and it is only available in a few states. Worth looking into if you qualify.
The VZ 55+ program limits hotspot speed to 600 kbps. Marginally acceptable for text and basic email, but forget about streaming or video/picture downloads.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #42

I think I’ll call Verizon up and ask about a new Jetpack and the 70 bucks unlimited plan. I may can get a cheap plan for my iPhones and use the Jetpack as a modem to surf the web.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:57 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I think I’ll call Verizon up and ask about a new Jetpack and the 70 bucks unlimited plan. I may can get a cheap plan for my iPhones and use the Jetpack as a modem to surf the web.
Make sure they offer you the prepaid plan and keep it on a stand-alone account not associated with any phone account. Plan number 28366
Old 02-26-2019, 10:28 AM   #44
Citrus County, Fl.

The link in post #15 took me to the post-paid article. Here is the link for the pre-paid which I found very informative. Thanks emm-dee !!

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ver...-for-jetpacks/
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:02 AM   #45

I was originally going to go to the Verizon store and ask them for plan 28366, but I looked online first. I don't see anywhere that said my plan number, but I activated my Jetpack online and just made sure I was selecting prepaid plans and they have a section just for Jetpacks. There was something like 3 prepaid choices for Jetpack plans, the unlimited for $70 a 15gb for maybe $45? and a lesser one. I'm assuming the one I got was plan 28366 since it's unlimited, no cap or throttling (just possible prioritization in times of congestion) and has the $5 discount for autopay, but there aren't any plan numbers I could see. I probably should have just gone into the store, but I'm pretty sure I got the right one anyway....I hope
Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #46

Did it work
Detroitdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:34 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdeb View Post
Did it work

Me?.....It's working well in my tests at home so far. After I signed up online, it took a little while for it to activate after I got the email confirmation. I would guess within 30 minutes it started getting a signal and internet. I connected my laptop to the Jetpack after setting up the WiFi name, password, etc, and used it for the evening here at home. I also did a speed test and got between 5mb and 6mb download speed with the jetpack bouncing between 2 and 3 bars of Verizon signal on the display.

I'll keep it in my truck when we're not camping. That's what I did last year with my postpaid Jetpack plan on my older model jetpack and used it as a truck hotspot for music streaming. That way, it didn't go to waste just sitting in my camper all the time not being used while paying for it.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
Old 02-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #48

https://www.lifewire.com/use-chromec...-wi-fi-4174601

https://www.androidauthority.com/chr...t-wifi-397374/
Old 02-27-2019, 02:22 PM   #49

Verizon Unlimited Plan

Thanks everyone for your input on this subject. Been wondering what options I had when we travel and using the laptop. We don't do much streaming because we tend to use the airtenna or the cable in the parks plus I have tons of movies saved on my computer so we just copy a few to the thumbdrive and plug them in when we want to watch something else.

I have The New Verizon Unlimited Plan and this is from my account with Verizon as it describes my data plan;

"4G LTE only. After 22GB, in times of congestion, your data may be temporarily prioritized behind other traffic. Mobile Hotspot/tethering reduced to speeds up to 600Kbps after 15GB/mo. Domestic data roaming at 2G speeds; int'l data reduced to 2G speeds after 512 MB/day."

I have been using my phone as my hotspot at home but I don't do any streaming because I wasn't sure how that would effect my data usage. I did speak with a technician at Verizon last night and discussed the various options for the Jetpack. I can add it to my current plan replacing a tablet I have with no extra cost per month other than buying the Jetpack. I can also do the unlimited prepay for the $70 per month. Just wasn't real clear if the prepaid gave true unlimited or something similar to my current plan. I went online to see about buying the 8800 Jetpack and it was the same price if I bought it thru Verizon $199.
That's what I've learned so far

Check out my Blog "A Grande Tour" about our travels and other writings! agrandetour.com
dougschne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:05 PM   #50

[QUOTE=RandK-M;2034101]So we'll see how it goes, but today I went to Verizon wireless online and signed up my Jet pack 7730L for for the $65 prepaid unlimited plan.

You stated the 7730 works but I wasn't sure if there was a difference between that and the 8800. I can buy a used 7730 and add it to my current plan. It looks like you were able to use it on the prepaid plan as well. Might consider the 7730 instead of paying $199 for the 8800. Is there any performance difference between the two. I'm not tech savvy to know what's best.

Thanks.

Check out my Blog "A Grande Tour" about our travels and other writings! agrandetour.com
Old 02-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #51

[QUOTE=dougschne;2035300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
So we'll see how it goes, but today I went to Verizon wireless online and signed up my Jet pack 7730L for for the $65 prepaid unlimited plan.

You stated the 7730 works but I wasn't sure if there was a difference between that and the 8800. I can buy a used 7730 and add it to my current plan. It looks like you were able to use it on the prepaid plan as well. Might consider the 7730 instead of paying $199 for the 8800. Is there any performance difference between the two. I'm not tech savvy to know what's best.

Thanks.

As far as I know, the 8800 is the newest model and may be faster, etc. I'm not sure off the top of my head if it has every radio band as the 8800. I already had an older 791L, that I think would have also worked since it worked as late as last Fall on a postpaid Jetpack plan. I got the 7730 because it has additional radio bands so it would work in more places and faster and I was able to get one on eBay for $60 instead of paying $199 for an 8800. I've been testing the 7730 here at home and it's been working very well. Earlier today, I was getting over 6mb download speed and I don't have a full Verizon signal here. It was bouncing between 2 and 3 bars on the display.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
Old 02-27-2019, 04:12 PM   #52

[QUOTE=dougschne;2035300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
So we'll see how it goes, but today I went to Verizon wireless online and signed up my Jet pack 7730L for for the $65 prepaid unlimited plan.

Thanks.
The 7730 works just fine on the prepaid unlimited plan. The 8800 has 4x4 MIMO antenna vs 2x2 on the 7730. Few other differences like international band 14 support but from what I’ve seen the differences are minimal during everyday use. I saw a comparison test on a paid site that showed the 8800 download speed at 48 mb while the 7730 at the same location was at 43 mb. Since Netflix, DTV, Hulu, AZPrime etc work just fine at less than 5mb then the unit differences are insignificant.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:34 PM   #53

[QUOTE=RandK-M;2035323]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougschne View Post

As far as I know, the 8800 is the newest model and may be faster, etc. I'm not sure off the top of my head if it has every radio band as the 8800. I already had an older 791L, that I think would have also worked since it worked as late as last Fall on a postpaid Jetpack plan. I got the 7730 because it has additional radio bands so it would work in more places and faster and I was able to get one on eBay for $60 instead of paying $199 for an 8800. I've been testing the 7730 here at home and it's been working very well. Earlier today, I was getting over 6mb download speed and I don't have a full Verizon signal here. It was bouncing between 2 and 3 bars on the display.

Ray
The 7730 works just fine on the prepaid unlimited plan. The 8800 has 4x4 MIMO antenna vs 2x2 on the 7730. Few other differences like international band 14 support but from what I’ve seen the differences are minimal during everyday use. I saw a comparison test on a paid site that showed the 8800 download speed at 48 mb while the 7730 at the same location was at 43 mb. Since Netflix, DTV, Hulu, AZPrime etc work just fine at less than 5mb then the unit differences are insignificant.

Ray and emm,

Thanks for the answers. I see used/refurbished on eBay in the $60 to $100 some with SIM cards and others without. Should I avoid the ones without the SIM card or not. Just never done this before and don't want to waste money. Would the SIM cards on eBay work or should I get one in the Verizon store? Thanks, Again.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:43 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
We have Apple phones. Takes seconds to set up a hotspot with them.

I purchased the connector to turn the I phone output to hdm(expensive, $40). That connector allows the charger to plug in at the same time. Easy.

Works well. Watched Michigan football at the campground last fall. Netflix too.

Casting is more modern tech. Need the right tv.

Their is three speeds of data plans, we are on Verizon. Do you pay for the most expensive $70 unlimited speed? We can’t steam, but aren’t full timers with our RV and don’t want to increase my bill every month by $70.
vettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:45 PM   #55

Don’t get a SIM card from eBay. If it has ever been used then it cannot be activated again. VZ will give you the proper SIM card, usually for free. Worst case it’s $5.00.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:27 PM   #56

OK, just ordered a 7730 of eBay for $80. New open box. Going to eliminate the tablet an give it a try on the current plan. Headin for FL in a month so will give it a good try there. Thanks for all the help.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:43 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
We have Apple phones. Takes seconds to set up a hotspot with them.

I purchased the connector to turn the I phone output to hdm(expensive, $40). That connector allows the charger to plug in at the same time. Easy.

Works well. Watched Michigan football at the campground last fall. Netflix too.

Casting is more modern tech. Need the right tv.
We were unable to cast our phone to our TV because the TV doesn't support casting. We purchased a ROKU stick that plugs into an HDMI port and we cast to it instead.
We play whatever we want to stream on the phone but watch it on the TV screen now. Using a Samsung Android phone with Smart View and unlimited 4G LTE data from T-mobile. The hot-spot data is not unlimited but phone data used to play music or watch video is part of their "Binge On" program.

For those times when the signal won't support streaming we watch content that we downloaded to the phones SD card or just watch using the antenna.

No kids so we normally only watch TV in the evenings or when the weather is too bad to go out. We don't like to spend our vacation indoors if we can help it. [emoji2]
Old 03-05-2019, 06:57 PM   #58

Verizon 7730 Jetpack

I received the Jetpack I ordered off eBay. Basically new in the box. Didn't have a SIM card or users manual. Downloaded the user manual. Long story short. I removed my tablet from my postpaid account and added the jetpack. Verizon gave me a new SIM card and made the switch. I'm using it now to submit this post. Based on info received, the post paid vs prepaid made no difference other than the post paid takes priority over the prepaid on tower traffic and I can't see paying $65 a month more for same service. I'm not under contract anymore with Verizon so I can remove it from my plan any time. I can still use my tablet, just connect to the hotspot. So I see this as a win. Thanks for the info and we'll see how it goes.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:16 PM   #59

Quote:
Based on info received, the post paid vs prepaid made no difference other than the post paid takes priority over the prepaid on tower traffic and I can't see paying $65 a month more for same service. I'm not under contract anymore with Verizon so I can remove it from my plan any time. I can still use my tablet, just connect to the hotspot. So I see this as a win. Thanks for the info and we'll see how it goes.

The biggest difference between the prepaid and post paid plan is the data cap. On post paid $60 gets you only 10GB and $70 gets you 12gb before they throttle you. The Prepaid $65 with autopay gets you unlimited data with no cap. If you just check email and a few other things it probably doesn't matter, but any streaming of video eats up data pretty fast.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
Old 03-05-2019, 07:16 PM   #60

Quote:
I received the Jetpack I ordered off eBay. Basically new in the box. Didn't have a SIM card or users manual. Downloaded the user manual. Long story short. I removed my tablet from my postpaid account and added the jetpack. Verizon gave me a new SIM card and made the switch. I'm using it now to submit this post. Based on info received, the post paid vs prepaid made no difference other than the post paid takes priority over the prepaid on tower traffic and I can't see paying $65 a month more for same service. I'm not under contract anymore with Verizon so I can remove it from my plan any time. I can still use my tablet, just connect to the hotspot. So I see this as a win. Thanks for the info and we'll see how it goes.
Which plan is that on. Does it slow to 600 kb after 15 gig of hotspot use?