Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2018, 07:14 AM   #1

How Can I Upgrade When There Are No Upgrades?

This weekend was a good one for driving around to dealers close to me in PA because there was little to no sales staff at any of the dealers due to most of them being at the Hershey RV Show. The dealers, for the most part, opened up everything on their lots so people could check out what they had without the help of a salesperson. This made it very relaxing (with no pressure or “puffing” or rushing by a salesperson) to look at everything that needed to be looked at.

I am not really in the market for an upgrade right now, but I wanted to see what’s out there for ideas of what I will like when I am in the market — which could have been this weekend if something really struck me as something I “had to have.” I’m sure you know what I mean by that.

I walked through and around so many fifth wheels (no other types of RVs), I can’t even say how many I toured. I didn’t bother looking at anything that I knew for sure wouldn’t be an upgrade from my 2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W. I looked at Cedar Creek and Cardinal models and many other non-Forest River brands in the $70,000.00 to $107,000.00 (sale price — not list price) range. Of everything I looked at, the Cedar Creek “Champaign” line seemed to be the best built and finished line out there. But nothing came close in overall quality to my current Windjammer.

My wife was distracted and enamored by all of the shiny new appliances, ceiling fans and (mostly) larger bathrooms with double-bowl vanities, but she, too, was of the opinion that our Windjammer is better than EVERYTHING we saw. I really couldn’t believe that the whole time we were looking she didn’t somehow rationalize that “this one is so much nicer and we have to have it.” I was amazed.

I don’t want to get into all of the details of exactly what was and wasn’t better than our Windjammer right now, but I can say there wasn’t much that was better. Sure, any fifth wheel is an upgrade from most travel trailers when it comes to storage and towing, but I expected so much more with the difference in cost when compared to a Windjammer, and it wasn’t there.

How can it not be possible (for me) to find an upgrade when I am looking at spending two to three times the money than I spent on my Windjammer? It seems that I would have to jump up to something like a Riverstone, which I can’t, to get a true upgrade from what I already have.

Bruce
Old 09-16-2018, 07:23 AM   #2

We always go to the shows in Feb, guess its rv cabin fever. Haven't found anything as nice as what we have.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
We always go to the shows in Feb, guess its rv cabin fever. Haven't found anything as nice as what we have.
I purposely avoided going to the show at Hershey this weekend because I wanted to look at units that weren’t prepped for a show. Plus, I didn’t want to be distracted by salespeople and pushed through by others wanting to look.

Bruce
Old 09-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #4

it just confirms that you have the camper that suites you (for now). We go to the shows and look around. back when we had our high wall popup, we would look all the new units and come away saying - "nope, what we have is the best for us". But things do change, and our needs change. Our popup suited us well for 6 years. Then saw a new hybrid floorplan that caught our attention. We did not buy at the show, but that hybrid stayed in our minds and we ended up getting it 5 months later. We are now very happy in the hybrid, and we are now going away from the shows with "yep, what we have is the best for us"....but ya never know.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:34 AM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

If you are truly looking for an upgrade and go to Hershey you need to be there during the week. It is much more mellow. We were there yesterday and some units had lines you had to wait in just to enter the model.

But I agree, we felt the same. Nothing struck us as a must have. We love our current unit but I'd say unless it is needed I'd avoid an upgrade. Our previous trailer was light years ahead in build quality from what I see now. And it was just a lonely "entry level model" as so many love to point out.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
it just confirms that you have the camper that suites you (for now). We go to the shows and look around. back when we had our high wall popup, we would look all the new units and come away saying - "nope, what we have is the best for us". But things do change, and our needs change. Our popup suited us well for 6 years. Then saw a new hybrid floorplan that caught our attention. We did not buy at the show, but that hybrid stayed in our minds and we ended up getting it 5 months later. We are now very happy in the hybrid, and we are now going away from the shows with "yep, what we have is the best for us"....but ya never know.
I agree with you, but my main point is that I couldn’t find any upgrades in quality. There were many units I saw that would suit us well as an upgrade as far as floor plans go, but the upgrade in quality just wasn’t there.

Bruce
Old 09-16-2018, 07:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
If you are truly looking for an upgrade and go to Hershey you need to be there during the week. It is much more mellow. We were there yesterday and some units had lines you had to wait in just to enter the model.

But I agree, we felt the same. Nothing struck us as a must have. We love our current unit but I'd say unless it is needed I'd avoid an upgrade. Our previous trailer was light years ahead in build quality from what I see now. And it was just a lonely "entry level model" as so many love to point out.
What was your previous trailer?

Bruce
Old 09-16-2018, 08:15 AM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

Cherokee gray wolf 26dbh. It was a 2014. An entry level model, that was better built than some of the $$ ones imo.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #9

My wife and I weren't much into "upgrading". We bought what we liked to begin with and then just enjoyed it.

My first TT was a 1972 model that served me well for over 15 years. Next one was a 95 and we used the dickens out of it for 22 years.

I can only guess how long my 2018 will be around.

Same for Tow Vehicles. If it's reliable, does the job, and is comfortable to drive, why spend money upgrading all the time. Current tow vehicle is 14 years old and has just broken the 100K mark. ALL of it towing, not running around town.

For that we used a 25 year old, super comfortable, sedan that even though made in Detroit gave us 28 mpg. Surprising for a full sized car but it only had a 3.3 liter engine in it.

Wife and I used to laugh how we weren't doing our part to help the economy. But we also didn't have any monthly payments for "vehicles".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Cherokee gray wolf 26dbh. It was a 2014. An entry level model, that was better built than some of the $$ ones imo.

As a former RV salesman I agree that some entry models, or more like a level above entry models such as your Cherokee are just as good of quality as the high end models. I've seen some pretty poor quality 70,000 to 100K (Cdn) units. Quality level is pretty much ubiquitous through out the RV industry, although there are some higher quality lines out there. They're all made with the same screws and glue , and a lot of components. I like to avoid the disappointment, hence my Puma (which has been pretty good to me), and my Sportsmen prior, which was great (except the squeak in the floor).
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #11

2013 Windjammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
This weekend was a good one for driving around to dealers close to me in PA because there was little to no sales staff at any of the dealers due to most of them being at the Hershey RV Show. The dealers, for the most part, opened up everything on their lots so people could check out what they had without the help of a salesperson. This made it very relaxing (with no pressure or “puffing” or rushing by a salesperson) to look at everything that needed to be looked at.

I am not really in the market for an upgrade right now, but I wanted to see what’s out there for ideas of what I will like when I am in the market — which could have been this weekend if something really struck me as something I “had to have.” I’m sure you know what I mean by that.

I walked through and around so many fifth wheels (no other types of RVs), I can’t even say how many I toured. I didn’t bother looking at anything that I knew for sure wouldn’t be an upgrade from my 2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W. I looked at Cedar Creek and Cardinal models and many other non-Forest River brands in the $70,000.00 to $107,000.00 (sale price — not list price) range. Of everything I looked at, the Cedar Creek “Champaign” line seemed to be the best built and finished line out there. But nothing came close in overall quality to my current Windjammer.

My wife was distracted and enamored by all of the shiny new appliances, ceiling fans and (mostly) larger bathrooms with double-bowl vanities, but she, too, was of the opinion that our Windjammer is better than EVERYTHING we saw. I really couldn’t believe that the whole time we were looking she didn’t somehow rationalize that “this one is so much nicer and we have to have it.” I was amazed.

I don’t want to get into all of the details of exactly what was and wasn’t better than our Windjammer right now, but I can say there wasn’t much that was better. Sure, any fifth wheel is an upgrade from most travel trailers when it comes to storage and towing, but I expected so much more with the difference in cost when compared to a Windjammer, and it wasn’t there.

How can it not be possible (for me) to find an upgrade when I am looking at spending two to three times the money than I spent on my Windjammer? It seems that I would have to jump up to something like a Riverstone, which I can’t, to get a true upgrade from what I already have.

Bruce
I agree, our 3001 windjammer has been a jewel. It would be hard to find something better made. Has been truely trouble free.
Handydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:57 PM   #12

I go to the "shows" to get ideas that I may be able to incorporate into mine. At my age, it's not reasonable to get a new trailer.

After about six years of owning a travel trailer, I'm thinking about chucking it and doing overlanding. RV parks have worn out their welcome to me.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:20 PM   #13

We also LOVE our Windjammer! Have had a number of campers and it was the first one with all the cabinet doors that were straight and in line. Everything works well and is pretty easy to maintain. It is easy to pull. Now for the bad news, I understand they will discontinue making Windjammers shortly, so you may want to keep yours. They want more capacity to make 5th wheels. I am going to hang on to my Windjammer until there is nothing left to tow! It has been the best value we have gotten. Most everything is repairable/replaceable/update-able and that is exactly what I intend to do. Last TT we had made it 23 seasons but, had no slide outs which is why we got the Windjammer. It's only 6 seasons old. Got a long way to go. It may be the last TT we get.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #14

NOMAD297
I agree with your quality/upgrade assessment. Our friends 2007 Trailite B+ MH (no longer made) is a perfect example. They say the same about their search, new offerings by others can't match its quality of build or components. Question, you said only fivers but did you look at the current issue (2018 or 19) of your Rockwood Windjammer (for fun) or the Rockwood Fiver? If so, how do they compare to yours, i.e., is Rockwood quality still there? I've noticed older Rockwood products and am impressed with them. Thanks for your post on this issue as I am in the same situation as you. I missed the Hershey show but have the Rockwood Fiver on my list to check out.
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:39 PM   #15
Newly Retired

When your at the top, you just can’t get higher.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by herewego View Post
NOMAD297
I agree with your quality/upgrade assessment. Our friends 2007 Trailite B+ MH (no longer made) is a perfect example. They say the same about their search, new offerings by others can't match its quality of build or components. Question, you said only fivers but did you look at the current issue (2018 or 19) of your Rockwood Windjammer (for fun) or the Rockwood Fiver? If so, how do they compare to yours, i.e., is Rockwood quality still there? I've noticed older Rockwood products and am impressed with them. Thanks for your post on this issue as I am in the same situation as you. I missed the Hershey show but have the Rockwood Fiver on my list to check out.
No, I didn’t look in any of the Windjammers or Rockwood fifth wheels because I was looking at units larger than what I have. However, I did walk into both a few weeks ago at my local dealer while I was there buying light bulbs. While I wasn’t looking as them with as much attention to detail as I was the other models the other day, everything in the Windjammers and fifth wheels looked to be of the same quality.

Bruce
Old 09-19-2018, 04:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveboe View Post
When your at the top, you just can’t get higher.
This is how I feel right now.

Bruce
Old 09-19-2018, 04:56 AM   #18
World Wide Wanderer

We are currently in the same situation. Happy with what we have.

Went to the RV show last spring and walked through a $700,000 motor home. Beautiful unit. The only take away was we liked the LED lights under the counter edges. Went home checked our Coachmen Concord, there was enough space under the counter edges. So ~$40 worth of Amazon bits and pieces later we too have remote control under the counter edge lighting. Saved myself $699,960

We always like to look, but always feel like what we have now is the best for us at this point, not too large, not too small, just right. Now if I win the lottery all bets are off.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:47 AM   #19

I love our local dealer he never locks their trailers until they are sold. You can go look any time.......... the joy of rural small towns...............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I love our local dealer he never locks their trailers until they are sold. You can go look any time.......... the joy of rural small towns...............

I hope this never changes for you. It is always sad to see what was once a nice, rural town fall victim to urban expansion. Everything changes!

It would be nice if all dealers would, at least, open everything up in the mornings so people could browse at their own pace with no sales pressure. I think the risk of damage and theft would br pretty low during business hours. I wouldn’t expect them to be as trusting as your local dealer, though, and leave them open all of the time. It must be nice to live in a town like yours.

Bruce

Tags
upgrade