Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2017, 07:23 AM   #1

How do you change a tire

I am not trying to start any heated debates, I would just like to have something cleared up. As my family and I were on our way back to our camp site from a bike ride, we saw a camper pulled over along the entrance road. It was a 5er that had a blowout. I pulled over and asked if he needed any assistance or anything from my camper. He stated no and we just chatted for a second. My family and I continued on. I noticed that he had the 5er lifted with the back stabilizer jack. However, I was told to pull up onto blocks with the good tire in order to lift the camper. Is this just a preference thing. Luckily I have not had a blowout yet but would like to know in case it ever happens. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #2
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

The correct way to lift a full axled tandem trailer is with a jack under the spring mount area as pictured below.
The stabilizer jacks are just for that, stabilizing not lifting over their capacity.
The other method of running the good tire up a ramp to lift the flat tire off is bad practice and you are substantially overloading one axle. It's a good way to bend the stub which results in uneven tire wear and usually a blow-out. I have re-aligned multiple trailer axles because they were bent. Those ramps work fine on a horse trailer or empty flatbed but not a good idea on a loaded 5th wheel.
If your tow vehicle doesn't have one, buy a bottle jack and keep it in the trailer. And don't forget to break loose the lug nuts first before you jack it off the ground.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0460Small.jpg
Views:	918
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	152369
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:45 AM   #3

If I had a flat on my Cedar Creek I would break the lug nuts and then use my level up system to pick that side up
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:50 AM   #4
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
If I had a flat on my Cedar Creek I would break the lug nuts and then use my level up system to pick that side up
I'd use my system too but not everyone has that! I answered more generic.
Good point though because the system is more popular nowadays and is more than capable of the duty.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
Site Team

You are probably going to get some pretty passionate opinions on this subject. We discussed it fairly recently in another thread, as the following manufacturers say to never lift on their axles or suspension components...but to lift on the trailer frame only.

You may want to see what kind of axles you have, as you may find out they are like Dexter's below who specifically state in their manual the following:

See the last sentence of #2 and also the warning label right below it:

http://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defau...).pdf?sfvrsn=2

Lippert says the same basically about their axles:

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...ers-Manual.pdf

AL-KO (which has now been bought out by Dexter) are even more adamant about never supporting/lifting on the axle.

http://www.al-ko.us/download/ALKO_Ow...K__05_2014.pdf

It's up to you as to what you decide to do.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:54 AM   #6

Actually I would call someone as I'm to lazy, i would call Coach-Net and let them change the tire
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Actually I would call someone as I'm to lazy, i would call Coach-Net and let them change the tire
Yup!! I had to call Good Sams roadside assistance twice 15 days ago for blow outs one for an inside dually and for a steering tire. 6 year old tires.[emoji53] not fun!!! They were eventually all replaced. All tires needed to be balanced. Done by the dealer in Albuquerque!! I had called Camping World to replace them but they don't balance. Unbelievable!! Got a much better deal at Purcell tires. Which was also closer.
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:12 AM   #8

It is to the RV Owners benefit to know in Advance where to Jack/Lift "YOUR RV" MOST Tire changers "Don't Know/Care" where they lift on YOUR unit,it is to YOUR benefit to "Know and INSIST where to lift"! If they insist on doing it THEIR Way tell them to STOP and Leave! If you Don't you can/will be Paying BIG Bucks for future Repairs out of Your Pocket and Sitting somewhere else while your Parts are Shipped in! Youroo!!
Old 09-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #9

I don't think running up the good wheel onto leveling blocks will hurt anything to change a tire. If you are on the roadside, you probably want to get it changed out quickly and if you are ready to change it, the axle will only be lifted for a few minutes while you swap the wheel out. The overall weight will be distributed among the 3 remaining wheels and the tow vehicle. I have done this method twice so far and also have used a bottle jack on the frame at a campground and it is at least twice as fast to change out using leveling blocks. I have no science or manufacturing information to back up what i just wrote, just practical experience of what I have done. Just realized, I am stating this for a tandem torsion axle trailer and don't know what to do with a single axle other than a jack on the frame.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
... I don't think running up the good wheel onto leveling blocks will hurt anything to change a tire. ...
If the flat tire is really flat, is the entire side of the trailer not already on the tire we'd use to lift using leveling blocks or something like an Anderson Rapid Jack?

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #11

I have not had to change a tire yet but I carry a hyd jack and a electric impact wrench I got from Harbor freight just for the motorhome I waited for the 25% off coupon and it was a reasonable purchase. If it ever happens I will start the generator for the impact wrench.
1994 coachman class A
2005 3100SS sunseeker class c
Fkrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #12

Quote:
If the flat tire is really flat, is the entire side of the trailer not already on the tire
Good point...
Is this one tire still on the road a reason to have an extra margin of safety by going up one load range ( C to D or D to E) when getting replacement tires?

I just bought a Trailer-Aid to help with any possible roadside blow outs...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
You are probably going to get some pretty passionate opinions on this subject. We discussed it fairly recently in another thread, as the following manufacturers say to never lift on their axles or suspension components...but to lift on the trailer frame only.

You may want to see what kind of axles you have, as you may find out they are like Dexter's below who specifically state in their manual the following:

See the last sentence of #2 and also the warning label right below it:

http://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defau...).pdf?sfvrsn=2

Lippert says the same basically about their axles:

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...ers-Manual.pdf

AL-KO (which has now been bought out by Dexter) are even more adamant about never supporting/lifting on the axle.

http://www.al-ko.us/download/ALKO_Ow...K__05_2014.pdf

It's up to you as to what you decide to do.
Well Camping World puts a Jack under the axle u-bolts and lifts the axle up. now I am really confused.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
If the flat tire is really flat, is the entire side of the trailer not already on the tire we'd use to lift using leveling blocks or something like an Anderson Rapid Jack?
That is correct. If you are only putting a a static load on one axle, that is in no way going to be detrimental to the axle being lifted. It is getting way more dynamic loads in use when both tires are on the ground.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Good point...
Is this one tire still on the road a reason to have an extra margin of safety by going up one load range ( C to D or D to E) when getting replacement tires?
I hadn't thought of that, myself. Not sure you could find a tire in the required size rated to support the entire weight of the side, but one with a higher rating than the OEM tire may mitigate risk under those circumstances.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #16

Y'all might keep in mind too, that if you have a blowout on a multi axle trailer, it's a good idea to keep a close eye on the other tires on that side of the trailer - they've been stressed and if the blowout was from age/fatigue the other tires can follow.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #17

Trailer Jacking

X2 for the Trailer Aide
2020 Lance 2075
2008 Lincoln Navigator 5.4 V-8 with Tow Package
2015 Ford Expedition Ecoboost with Heavy Duty Tow Package
Burnking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #18

I always carry a Trailer Aid. Used it 2x. A lot easier than using the bottle jack
and jack stands for safety. I have the regular Trailer Aid but I think I'd buy the Plus
if I were to do it again just to have the additional 1".
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
The correct way to lift a full axled tandem trailer is with a jack under the spring mount area as pictured below.
The stabilizer jacks are just for that, stabilizing not lifting over their capacity.
The other method of running the good tire up a ramp to lift the flat tire off is bad practice and you are substantially overloading one axle. It's a good way to bend the stub which results in uneven tire wear and usually a blow-out. I have re-aligned multiple trailer axles because they were bent. Those ramps work fine on a horse trailer or empty flatbed but not a good idea on a loaded 5th wheel.
If your tow vehicle doesn't have one, buy a bottle jack and keep it in the trailer. And don't forget to break loose the lug nuts first before you jack it off the ground.

Attachment 152369
And add to that bottle jack a few boards/blocks so you can elevate the jack to make it easier. Remember, when you get the flat tire off you will have to go even higher to get the good wheel/tire on so you will need every bit of lift you can get.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #20

Me lazy 2

Quote:
I would do the same. TT I can change, m/h no way I always travel with some kind of road service. AAA, Progressive, and now Good Sam.

Wjo do you call?? Depends on the need
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire