Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2020, 08:31 AM   #21

Locks are for honest people, if a dishonest person wants your stuff there is no lock going to stop them.
The world has changed, people feel they can take what ever they want and get away with it. But if you take something from them you could get shot.
So why not do the same, solving the problem before it happens again.

Thousands of people are looting and claim it’s ok since the company’s have insurance. But the people looting don’t buy insurance driving the insurance cost up for all of us.

So the thieves feel it’s ok to steal from us because we have insurance, maybe if we put a sign up saying we don’t have insurance the thieves will stay away?

SMH , just inflict severe pain on all thieves and they will get the message!
Old 12-22-2020, 09:10 AM   #22
All Around Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAparicio View Post
Go to Gushhill.com
They make some great locks. Gives me a little peace of mind.
Go where?! I think you meant Gus Hill, as in https://gushill.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gus Hill Trailer Tongue Lock.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	244941  

Baja Fog Adventuring
2018 F-250 Lariat SC w/6.75L Diesel
BajaFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Grandpa View Post
Nearly every trailer made uses the same key for the outside storage - a CH751. So every trailer owner can open your locked outside doors. There are companies that make replacement storage locks that match your door key so you only have to have one key for your trailer.

Not a bad investment for a few bucks per lock.
Got tired of finding the key to open the outside storage doors. This is the thread where replacing the CH751 locks with a new combination thumb latch/key lock is discussed. One of the best mods I ever made - DW loves she doesn't have to search for the key. Really important in the A-frames where most storage is best accessed from the outside, not inside.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...s-41517-7.html

We normally leave the latches unlocked, but lock them when leaving the campsite for the day. Stores inside the garage at home, so they stay unlocked at home.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradclimber View Post
We recently purchased a Wildwood X-Lite 233RBXL. This is a huge move for us as we had a 12 foot tear-drop trailer for 12 years before the "big one". Our tear drop fit very nicely in our rented storage unit. I never worried about someone stealing it. NOW, our new trailer is a bit bigger and, although it is in a pretty secure storage area on our mobile home parks' property, I worry about someone hitching it up at nite and driving off. I do have a Fastway Fortress coupler hitch lock -not the greatest I think but it is what was available at the moment. I know there are other locks that would be better and I am looking at them. I am also looking at "boots", and GPS trackers (at least I might be able to find the trailer once it is gone). I am very aware that if a thief wants to steal your stuff badly, they WILL do it.
I am NOT starting this thread for folks to chime in on what they think is the best product out there - other threads have done this quite well, I believe. AND, we do not have to get into a discussion about what is good or bad about each device - not looking for opinions here......
What I DO want to hear from folks is:

1. Have you had a travel trailer with some type of security device (GPS tracker, Boot, Coupler lock, other) on it that someone ATTEMPTED to steal and was thwarted by your device?

I would love to hear what actually worked and what didn't.
Thanking you all in advance - Ben
Get insurance on it and stop worrying.

You are much more likely to have it broken into and stuff damaged or stolen than to have the unit stolen. But comprehensive insurance covers both.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:03 PM   #25

Take the air out of a tire.... or remove it completely, rim and all! Quite a deterrent not having wheels..... keep all the landing gear down and shackle 4 cinder blocks to the axles under the center line between the passenger side and driver side. Keep them underneath and oriented in a way that will draw attention. I know a guy that hooked electric fence components so that if anyone handled the frame on his tool trailer, they got jolts....
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:20 PM   #26

Not sure about your storage situation, but this is what I do. Padlock on coupler lever. Hitch lock on the hitch. Most are crap ( see lockpicking lawyer on You tube ), but it's a deterrent. I loop chain through spokes of one set of wheels & braided cable through the wheels on the other side. They'll need bolt cutters for the chain, and cable cutters for the other. Unlikely they'll have both. It's parked on my property, so I have power to it. Slides are out ( tough to tow that way ). Also, have a few lights on & music playing. Gives appearance someone might be inside. Probably overkill, but I recall a guy saying " If it isn't nailed down, it's mine. And if I can pry it up, it isn't nailed down."

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
Get insurance on it and stop worrying.

You are much more likely to have it broken into and stuff damaged or stolen than to have the unit stolen. But comprehensive insurance covers both.

That is so true IDguy....Already have good (hopefully) insurance and I need to just follow the signs.....

VillagerJJm's comment gets me thinking though............."I know a guy that hooked electric fence components so that if anyone handled the frame on his tool trailer, they got jolts...." Electric fence, concertina wire, big mean dogs, maybe an angry old bull? That should do the trick!!!!

Some comments above about changing the locks from the CH751 style - That was the first thing I actually did is get all new locks from Industrial Lock and Hardware - the round-type keys. They work much easier, were a snap to install and one less thing to think about............
Tradclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:41 PM   #28

We use the Proven Industries coupler lock called Proven Lock. It is a bit pricey at over $200 but it is high security that protects the entire coupler and in most cases secures the hitch chains as well.
wingscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:45 PM   #29

Batty

I installed a Lorex system earlier this year. After the first night I had 40 alerts. Come
to find out, is was from bugs flying around and an occasional bat having dinner.
TMegelhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:45 PM   #30

Answer the man's question!

I am NOT starting this thread for folks to chime in on what they think is the best product out there - other threads have done this quite well, I believe. AND, we do not have to get into a discussion about what is good or bad about each device - not looking for opinions here......
What I DO want to hear from folks is:

1. Have you had a travel trailer with some type of security device (GPS tracker, Boot, Coupler lock, other) on it that someone ATTEMPTED to steal and was thwarted by your device?

I would love to hear what actually worked and what didn't.
Thanking you all in advance - Ben[/QUOTE]

Interesting in all the replies I saw not one answered your question. They all replied what you asked them not to.
tboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:45 PM   #31

We recently had our spare tire stolen. I have yet to replace it. But for that I am getting a tire chain lock. A couple of years ago we had our trailer broken into at a storage facility. If they have a crowbar they will do certain damage. As for hitch area I am getting a pin lock.
bobjastrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:05 PM   #32

I store mine at a campgrounds storage facility that is just west of Edmonton in kind of an industrial park. It is semi secure I guess. A couple of years ago I got a phone call that my storage doors were open and when I got there I was told that a few units had been broken into. My Puma had the storage doors pried open but nothing was stolen (I was a little insulted). Some folks had some items stolen but not me. They didn’t go inside though and all I had to do was bend the latches back. Other than taking any valuable stuff out of my outside storage compartments all I do is put a Reese fifth wheel pin lock on and remove my batteries.
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:12 PM   #33

Put a couple of "Tiles" on the outside of trailer with Gorilla tape.
https://www.amazon.com/Tile-Mate-Sli...a-828442357591
dedobias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:12 PM   #34

I park my 30 FT TT IN MY YARD. I have paddlelock on hitch. We also have locked gates and good insurance.
I can't find a good lock for my hitch.
Patty56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:13 PM   #35

Or a LojAck
https://www.lojack.com/products/stol...s-trucks-suvs/
dedobias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:27 PM   #36

I have several stories/experience I could add about general vehicle/trailer theft, not RV specific.

• Had a boss a long time ago with a tool/utility trailer and some basic hitch lock, someone broke it off when we were at lunch once and made off with it.
  • I've also had several cars I've owned get broken into and one was stolen (and recovered) twice.
  • When I first got my current utility trailer they threw in a Master (i think) Hitch lock. I lost the keys to it shortly afterwards and wanted to move it in my driveway. Note : I had previously taught myself basic lockpicking a couple years prior because I had also lost the keys to my front doors double sided deadbolt and didn't want to pay a locksmith (I have a key problem lol). So one day I went out in the rain, with two paper clips, and picked the hitch lock in less than a couple minutes, with extremely minimal skill. Pretty sure anyone whose picked more then a few locks could've done it in <15s. Or just used a long crowbar.
  • I caught some guy a few streets down casing my utility trailer in my driveway, on my security camera. I had a good (Proven Industries) hitch lock and 3/8" chain wrapped around the wheel/axle at the time, he looked at it for a couple minutes close up then left. Never came back for it. Wasn't worth it to him I guess.
I wouldn't trust that Fastaway lock.
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:43 PM   #37

They only keep honest people honest, 33 years in law enforcement, 11 at 9-1-1. trackers that alarm your cell when activated and give you gps coordinates are a real good defense. Nothing is perfect but these have a good recovery early in the process.

Wildwood 241QBXL
dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:51 PM   #38

as rjshiflet stated "My philosophy has always been "make mine a little bit harder to steal than the guy next to me".

35+ years of managing storage facilities (W/RV Storage) in various demographic areas/cities/states.

The easiest trailers are always the ones that are taken.

A great neighborhood or remote location are no guarantee.

Cameras are nice but don't get you the trailer or the contents back. Long story, lost 3 trailers in 1 day. I called the cops when the first one rolled out the gate. Months later only 1 was recovered. Bear in mind the cops new instantly that it was gone, the direction of travel and it was a unique trailer that was stolen with out of state plates.

Lock it up better than everyone else, keep it insured, don't leave valuable things visible.
AtTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboots View Post
Interesting in all the replies I saw not one answered your question. They all replied what you asked them not to.
tboots, that is the nature of forums, but still good information and food for thought coming out of it!
Old 12-28-2020, 09:32 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
I have several stories/experience I could add about general vehicle/trailer theft, not RV specific.

• Had a boss a long time ago with a tool/utility trailer and some basic hitch lock, someone broke it off when we were at lunch once and made off with it.
  • I've also had several cars I've owned get broken into and one was stolen (and recovered) twice.
  • When I first got my current utility trailer they threw in a Master (i think) Hitch lock. I lost the keys to it shortly afterwards and wanted to move it in my driveway. Note : I had previously taught myself basic lockpicking a couple years prior because I had also lost the keys to my front doors double sided deadbolt and didn't want to pay a locksmith (I have a key problem lol). So one day I went out in the rain, with two paper clips, and picked the hitch lock in less than a couple minutes, with extremely minimal skill. Pretty sure anyone whose picked more then a few locks could've done it in <15s. Or just used a long crowbar.
  • I caught some guy a few streets down casing my utility trailer in my driveway, on my security camera. I had a good (Proven Industries) hitch lock and 3/8" chain wrapped around the wheel/axle at the time, he looked at it for a couple minutes close up then left. Never came back for it. Wasn't worth it to him I guess.
I wouldn't trust that Fastaway lock.
I don't trust the lock but as some say, it will stop an opportunistic thief who just happens by. I AM looking seriously at the Proven Industries lock...... thanks for the info!

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer