Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2021, 03:42 PM   #61

I'm not SheriP but, yes, RV Life is what shows up in the App Store. Part of that app is RV Trip Wizard (RVTW for short.) It's a great resource in my honest opinion.
Dirt Sifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:02 PM   #62

We are usually (not this past year) traveling 5-6 months of the year. For final destinations, when we plan to stay for a couple of weeks or more, we make reservations. As we travel, I use the RV Parky App and make the reservations about noon, when we know about where we'll be later in the afternoon. We have gotten to places that are cool enough to want to stick around. There are also places we like to do an overnight or two enroute to our destinations. When traveling to Big Bend, we really like the RV Park on I-10, Van Horn RV Park, that we have stayed several times. People are great, their little restaurant (open for breakfast and dinner) is great. The last time we were there, they even DELIVERED my husband's breakfast of biscuits and gravy, right to our RV door! We've been lucky, if someone is full, there's usually another close by that has a spot for the night.
Cinders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:33 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldee View Post
Hi SheriP. When you say "RV trip wizard", do you mean the "RV Life" app? When I search the iOS app store for RV trip wizard, the only similar one I see is RV Life.
RV Life is the name of the phone app for iOS and Android. RV Trip Wizard is the name of the web site that also serves the phone apps.

While the phone apps are useful (we use it for RV navigation), the desktop web site is far more robust for research and trip planning. There's a free demo mode and a 7-day live trial. It's worth checking out. https://www.rvtripwizard.com

I am not associated with RVTW. I'm just a satisfied user.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:46 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinders View Post
We are usually (not this past year) traveling 5-6 months of the year. For final destinations, when we plan to stay for a couple of weeks or more, we make reservations. As we travel, I use the RV Parky App and make the reservations about noon, when we know about where we'll be later in the afternoon. We have gotten to places that are cool enough to want to stick around. There are also places we like to do an overnight or two enroute to our destinations. When traveling to Big Bend, we really like the RV Park on I-10, Van Horn RV Park, that we have stayed several times. People are great, their little restaurant (open for breakfast and dinner) is great. The last time we were there, they even DELIVERED my husband's breakfast of biscuits and gravy, right to our RV door! We've been lucky, if someone is full, there's usually another close by that has a spot for the night.
Slight subject change. Where did you stay in Big Bend?
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:49 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic7320 View Post
Generally, the smaller your rig, the more options you have. I started with a 17' class B and I could stop just about anywhere. Then found a 19' class B that wasn't quite as stealthy, but it could go anywhere and I even spent a couple nights on San Fransisco street without any problems before heading on for a long trip..

Now I have a 24' class C. Definitely not as stealthy, but when I need to go shopping or just pulling off for a break, I almost always find a place to park. It's only 18' from the front bumper to the rear wheels, so I can park in a standard parking space just by hanging my tail over the curb if there's room. Similarly, with that size RV, I get into some pretty great campsites.

Seems like State campgrounds have smaller sites, but are more family friendly than the big rig campgrounds.

So I'm pretty happy staying with a 24' RV... for now.
I'm with you we started out at 25 feet now we are 28 and will never go bigger works great for DW and I and I like the flexibility of that size for us.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:33 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
I'm with you we started out at 25 feet now we are 28 and will never go bigger works great for DW and I and I like the flexibility of that size for us.
Our TT is 26' which is plenty for us. I believe, though, that the combined length is shorter for a 5th wheel having the same length as your travel trailer. Much of it overhangs the TV.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:29 AM   #67
Long time camper.

Fly by the seat...

First a couple rules.
Never travel at night when the wildlife is big! My DW made eye contact right outside her window with a moose in the dark. Carry bear spray too. Buffalo, moose, bear, caribou and elk come to mind.
We look at an actual paper map, in the evening after dinner or in the morning after breakfast. The rules here, no expressways if it can be helped. Big cities require it most times. America is on the state and federal routes. Some of the best places we have stayed were city and county parks for$10 or $15 a night. Some places were concrete pads where a building used to be with parking lots in the middle of nowhere. Five hours max travel time. Donít rush. If it looks interesting, stop and look. One $ campground are the last to go. Mostly, electric hookups, water available.
Walmart, Cracker Barrel, rest areas (nosiest), are fine if you get tired or itís getting late. If you get that Uh Oh feeling, move on.
Stop a lot, enjoy the country.
We got stuck somewhere in South Dakota at one $ campground over 4th of July weekend. Nothing available for 1000 miles. So we stayed there, cost about $10 a night, summer 2019.

Wave to other campers in opposing traffic. That whole trip only one or two didnít wave back.

Cant do any of this on an expressway. Slow down and enjoy the countryside.

SamTummo
samTummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:47 AM   #68

Right on Sam, we try to get off interstates whenever we can and you see so much more of the country. Love it.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:30 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by medalguy View Post
We travel cross country often. We just drive wherever we want to go and about 3 pm start looking at the map to see where we want to end that day. We boondock if possible for 3-5 days in a row sometimes ending up at rest areas or parking lots for overnight. We prefer forest parking if possible. Maybe every 5-6 days we use a KOA or similar to do laundry. We will make a reservation only if we are going to a difficult place to boondock such as New Orleans or Miami, or a crowded park like Yellowstone.
That is just the way we would like to travel when we hit the road this spring. Thanks for the insight.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:39 AM   #70
Canadian Member

My DW absolutely refuses to travel without a reservation for EVERY night. So yes we always make reservations.

With a bad lower back, I have to stop and stretch every 1.5 hours max. so we can’t go as far in a day as I have in the past. I will limit my travel days to one fill-up along the way and I like to plan the fill-up location using Google Maps and the satellite view so I know I’ll have plenty of room to get in and out.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:08 AM   #71

Reservations Seldom

We only use reservations when at places like National Parks or where there is a specific reason for a specific RV park. One that comes to mind is a park across the river from Quebec City. It has a bus that will take you to the ferry terminal. That way you don't have to find the place and pay bucks to park. We've traveled from Texas to Alaska and twice to the Maritimes and only had only one problem. We do make reservations daily, calling shortly after noon. A tool we sometimes use is Radius around a point. If you want to drive say 300 miles, it can tell you approximately where you will end up and what your options are.

https://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm
mharrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:17 AM   #72

Old but relevant article on long distance RV travel

here is an old but still relevant article on long-distance RV travel:

Ounce of Prevention

Summary:
Quote:
So donít let long hours behind the wheel turn into long days in the hospital - or worse. Use your head - stop and rest and exercise - enjoy your trip. Plan for the unexpected - even the unthinkable. Have a backup plan. Life being what it is, if you plan for it, it will probably never happen.
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:37 PM   #73

We've made 5 cross country trips without plans

We've made 5 cross country trips with almost no planning. One of the best parts of RV travel is the ability to go where you want, when you want. Some of our overnight stops turned into 4 nights because we liked the area or enjoyed the people we met. Walmarts, gas stations, etc were our overnight backup campsites. We had a few hiccups traveling but that's part of the adventure. The most important thing is to enjoy the journey, hiccups and all.
deciccocpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:19 PM   #74

Because I'm still a working stiff, long trips have to be fairly carefully planned. I prefer to leave a 1 day margin on the return for the unexpected, but that isn't always practical. We primarily camp at public campgrounds, most of the private campgrounds we have tried are too crowded and too much like a parking lot for our taste.

On the road, I prefer to stop before dark - doesn't always work out. We back or pull into the spot and level side to side (hopefully not needed). Then level fore and aft with the tongue jack without disconnecting if possible. Hook up electric if available and call it good. Meals are generally fast food on the road or something very simple and quick - depends on what time we expect to get in. We've done more than 500 miles in a day, though I prefer to be 400 or less.

Because our choices change frequently, Reserve America and the state reservations systems do rack up a good profit from us for reservation changes and cancellations. I accept those fees as part of the camping expense, and being free to change our plans on the fly.

One of the benefits of traveling like this is seeing a park for one night, and realizing that I want to come back there someday. In the morning, it there is time available, I take a quick walk and/or drive through the campground, and note the best sites for the future visit.

Different strokes for different folks.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
last long trip - White River Campground (visit Indianapolis) Oct 2020. Stopped Clinton SP, Kansas on way out, Finger Lakes SP, Missouri and Sylvan Grove COE on the return
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:57 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Because I'm still a working stiff, long trips have to be fairly carefully planned. I prefer to leave a 1 day margin on the return for the unexpected, but that isn't always practical. We primarily camp at public campgrounds, most of the private campgrounds we have tried are too crowded and too much like a parking lot for our taste.

On the road, I prefer to stop before dark - doesn't always work out. We back or pull into the spot and level side to side (hopefully not needed). Then level fore and aft with the tongue jack without disconnecting if possible. Hook up electric if available and call it good. Meals are generally fast food on the road or something very simple and quick - depends on what time we expect to get in. We've done more than 500 miles in a day, though I prefer to be 400 or less.

Because our choices change frequently, Reserve America and the state reservations systems do rack up a good profit from us for reservation changes and cancellations. I accept those fees as part of the camping expense, and being free to change our plans on the fly.

One of the benefits of traveling like this is seeing a park for one night, and realizing that I want to come back there someday. In the morning, it there is time available, I take a quick walk and/or drive through the campground, and note the best sites for the future visit.

Different strokes for different folks.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
last long trip - White River Campground (visit Indianapolis) Oct 2020. Stopped Clinton SP, Kansas on way out, Finger Lakes SP, Missouri and Sylvan Grove COE on the return
X2 -still working and on a schedule so planning is a must. Plus great state and national parks need a reservation - one does not simply roll up to the best campgrounds at Yosemite, Yellowstone or assateague and get a spot. That being said, I can hardly wait to have no particular place to be at any particular time
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diegoís craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:34 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
My DW absolutely refuses to travel without a reservation for EVERY night. So yes we always make reservations. ...
I hope to wean my DW off that same practice a little. For the near term with COVID campers increasing the demand for campground space, I'm not going to try. When we have experience boondocking in National Forests on the East side of the country, it might be easier. Boondocking out West should be easier because it's wide open space.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:26 PM   #77
dm6

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but is the refrigerator just running the whole time off of propane? If so, then I see how this works. You would always have refrigeration, some power, and water should last several days along the way where you can dump and refill as needed.
dm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:44 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm6 View Post
Sorry if this has been mentioned, but is the refrigerator just running the whole time off of propane? If so, then I see how this works. You would always have refrigeration, some power, and water should last several days along the way where you can dump and refill as needed.
Yes, it seems most people will run their refrigerator while driving. The residential refrigerators run on inverters while the others run on propane. I imagine both run on electric on those days that you stop at a regular campsite with power. We keep ours on Auto so it can switch between electric and propane.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:43 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm6 View Post
Our Refrigerator runs from the day before we leave cooling down on electric and propane when unplugged till we return 4 months longest trip. Works great. Uses very little propane and switches back and forth on auto. Once in awhile when we unplug the electric the gas doesn't kick on but it is a turn off and turn back on to fix Safe travels to all.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:48 PM   #80
Take The Road Less Travld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldee View Post
Hi SheriP. When you say "RV trip wizard", do you mean the "RV Life" app? When I search the iOS app store for RV trip wizard, the only similar one I see is RV Life.
I use the RV trip wizard. Itís a website that you pay for that works with the RV life app. Iím actually using it for a trip to Disney from Ohio this year.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote