Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: How do you prefer to camp?
Boondocking. Hook ups are for single people looking for a date 45 14.95%
Electric and water. Lights and coffee for me 116 38.54%
Full Hooks baby, we need our MTV 140 46.51%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #41
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
ITS NOT CAMPING IF YOUR PLUGGED IN !!! You live a trailer park lifestyle which is most definitely not camping .lol.
Hey, we live in free countries. You camp the way you want, we'll camp the way we want. Some will say if you're in any kind of trailer its not real camping. Its definitely not "backcountry" camping.

We did the tent thing for a lot of years, including on our honeymoon and while touring on the motorcycle. Been there, done that, not going back.

Some here readily tell you they don't camp. They are full-time RVers. To each their own.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #42
Site Team

Camping, glamping, boondocking, RVing, it's basically semantics.

If you have a plastic bat, a whiffle ball, an open field and a few friends would you say that's not really "baseball" because there aren't any uniforms, umpires or paid crowds watching you play?
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:30 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Camping, glamping, boondocking, RVing, it's basically semantics.

If you have a plastic bat, a whiffle ball, an open field and a few friends would you say that's not really "baseball" because there aren't any uniforms, umpires or paid crowds watching you play?
It's not baseball it's whiffle ball but your actual point is correct.

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:38 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice12t View Post
It's not baseball it's whiffle ball but your actual point is correct.
I knew somebody would call me on that...

Wiffleball, softball, slow-pitch, fast-pitch, stickball, whatever...

My point remains. It doesn't matter how fancy or non-fancy the equipment you use is or where the setting is. It's all the same thing.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:48 PM   #45

How do you prefer to camp? Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
We camp to avoid hotels as well, but that does not mean that we have to have full hookups. And since we prefer the state parks, we don't always get full hookups as an option. And hookups we will settle for is totally dependant on how long we are staying. Weekends, we are fine with electric only (as long as there is a place to fill the water tank and a dump station). Longer than a weekend, we want water and electric hookup minimum. But my hubby is indeed happiest when we get the occasional full hookups, something about not having to use the tote to dump.

X2
2021 Rockwood, 2509s, pulled by a 2020 Ford F150 XLT, Super Cab, 3.5L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 10-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Heavy Duty Tow package & integrated trailer brake, 11,700 lb. tow capacity, payload is 1916 lbs. and 145” wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I knew somebody would call me on that...

Wiffleball, softball, slow-pitch, fast-pitch, stickball, whatever...

My point remains. It doesn't matter how fancy or non-fancy the equipment you use is or where the setting is. It's all the same thing.

X2
tyler811 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #47
ARLO

Full hookups, cable tv, wifi, 50 amp only.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:09 PM   #48
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Hey, we live in free countries. You camp the way you want, we'll camp the way we want. Some will say if you're in any kind of trailer its not real camping. Its definitely not "backcountry" camping.

We did the tent thing for a lot of years, including on our honeymoon and while touring on the motorcycle. Been there, done that, not going back.

Some here readily tell you they don't camp. They are full-time RVers. To each their own.
Agreed. I'm going to get told how to camp by a guy who makes three mistakes in a 7-word sentence? Yeah, probably not. Camp the way you like. I tend not to prefer private, full-hookup campgrounds, but I know others really enjoy them. I tend not to prefer camping out on an open lake, but I also don't own a boat. And on, and on, and on.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:23 PM   #49

Full hookups

With granddaughter on board, only way to go. By myself, just give me electric.
RFGTLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #50

Seasonal on a dirt lot in the Berkshires. Rustic with electric and water and nothing else.Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	197168
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #51

Seasonal on a dirt lot in the Berkshires. Rustic with electric and water and nothing else. I scoop the poop!

Click image for larger version

Name:	camper.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	197169
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:06 PM   #52

Interesting poll. For me, there should be an "All of the Above," option. It depends on our mood, our purpose and duration.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #53

Full hook ups, which usually means private campgrounds, away from large cities. No toad, so it is nice to have a grocery store and hardware store within 4 miles or so. Looking forward to trying a state park for a night or two.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:50 PM   #54
larryandamy

How do you like to camp?

Our answer is... "All of the above".
Number 1 priority is to avoid crowds.
Number 2 priority is to camp in beautiful natural areas.
Number 3 is no parking lot type high density campgrounds.
You would think that this sounds like a vote for boondocking and we do about 30% of our camping boondocking. But we do about 50% at the National, State and local parks. And almost never at private campgrounds/KOA's because they are almost all high density parking lot type campgrounds and are the most expensive by far.
Even though there are some beautiful areas where you can boondock...
Most of the really fantastic areas are where the crowds and the private and public campgrounds are.
Take the famous Quartzite, AZ RV'ers mecca. Yes, it is a boondockers paradise, but the reason for that is because it is a huge area of dirt and rocks without much beauty except for sunrises and sunsets. To each their own. In the past 2 years we have visited 8 Canada Provinces and all 50 states. And 45 of 60 National Parks and we mix it up based on our top 3 priorities. Our overall favorite type campsites are National Forest sites (no hookups) and State Park sites which have about 50% of sites with hookups. These are all usually in very beautiful areas. We get 50% discount at all National Park and Forest campgrounds with our lifetime Senior Pass.

We now have a truck camper (23' total length) for portability and I installed solar which gives us the freedom to camp anywhere without worrying about access or campsite space or electrical power unless we need to run the air conditioning. We can run everything else just on our solar. Microwave, toaster, all other stuff we run with impunity. We don't even take our generator anymore. We do not have a TV in our rig and we are on the road over 50% of the time. Someday, when we are older (63 and 62 now), we may get more into comfort glamping... I can see that happening..

So we balance where and when we go to avoid the masses and still see the popular sites.
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedubya View Post
Interesting poll. For me, there should be an "All of the Above," option. It depends on our mood, our purpose and duration.
Yes I know the poll is a fail but it is fun topic and getting more results then I expected. It's nice to read about what people's preferences are.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryandamy View Post
Our answer is... "All of the above".
Number 1 priority is to avoid crowds.
Number 2 priority is to camp in beautiful natural areas.
Number 3 is no parking lot type high density campgrounds.
You would think that this sounds like a vote for boondocking and we do about 30% of our camping boondocking. But we do about 50% at the National, State and local parks. And almost never at private campgrounds/KOA's because they are almost all high density parking lot type campgrounds and are the most expensive by far.
Even though there are some beautiful areas where you can boondock...
Most of the really fantastic areas are where the crowds and the private and public campgrounds are.
Take the famous Quartzite, AZ RV'ers mecca. Yes, it is a boondockers paradise, but the reason for that is because it is a huge area of dirt and rocks without much beauty except for sunrises and sunsets. To each their own. In the past 2 years we have visited 8 Canada Provinces and all 50 states. And 45 of 60 National Parks and we mix it up based on our top 3 priorities. Our overall favorite type campsites are National Forest sites (no hookups) and State Park sites which have about 50% of sites with hookups. These are all usually in very beautiful areas. We get 50% discount at all National Park and Forest campgrounds with our lifetime Senior Pass.

We now have a truck camper (23' total length) for portability and I installed solar which gives us the freedom to camp anywhere without worrying about access or campsite space or electrical power unless we need to run the air conditioning. We can run everything else just on our solar. Microwave, toaster, all other stuff we run with impunity. We don't even take our generator anymore. We do not have a TV in our rig and we are on the road over 50% of the time. Someday, when we are older (63 and 62 now), we may get more into comfort glamping... I can see that happening..

So we balance where and when we go to avoid the masses and still see the popular sites.

We hope to achieve this some day. The sites and scenery you must have seen.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:38 PM   #57
Senior

My DW prefers full hookups but I would rather have the elbow room that state and federal camp sights provide. I have a problem justifying the expense of most private campgrounds vrs public. It seems a little silly to me to buy a RV with fresh, grey and black water tanks, a battery(s) to run the pump and lights and not fully use them. I am ok with using a dump station and we can get a weeks use before needing to dump.

Electric is another matter when it's hot and you want AC to sleep comfortably but even then I can use my generator to cool things down and shut it off when it cools down.

We camp to explore and experience the beauty of America and spend most of our days away from our motorhome. As a retired couple in our 70's we enjoy the freedom of being able to come and go as we please and may stay longer or shorter than planned at any given location.

So I'll rate where I prefer to camp:
1. National Parks
2. Core of Engineers
3. State Parks
4. Forest Service
5. Bureau of Land Managment
6. Private Campgrounds
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:58 PM   #58

Preference

As long as w/ have electric and water we can stay for 4-5 days. We normally stay in state parks and shower in camp showers.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #59

As often as possible. We retired in coastal NC and our vacations are 3 mo camping trips in an area we have not yet explored. This year will be trip 3 out west. Just can't get enough of the mountains and desert and then come home to the sea.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:38 PM   #60

Boon docking 99% of the time in the mountain wilderness with no one around for miles. So pristine and peaceful.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote