Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
We will be traveling this year after I retire am following this thread with interest.
Does anyone have a mail delivery service? We do not have kids close so no one to collect mail or check on stuff. We plan to travel the 4 to 6 months of the year but, plan to be home during the winter months.
Love all comments. Thank you
I forwarded my mail to my Daughter but the post office is returning a lot of the mail including Christmas cards. I don't understand why they would do that.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #22

We turned off the water at the meter, drained the garage sink and the water heater. Emptied and shut off the fridge and freezer, unplugged everything else. Bought one of the Honeywell temp sensors that are supposed to turn on a light at low temp. Set the thermostat for 45deg. The light turns on at 55 degrees no matter how the knob is set so ordered another one and it works no better. My brother is watching for the light so he put a remote thermometer sensor in the living and the base unit at his house across the street and is watching the temp with that.

This is our first year doing this and so far it seems OK, especially since my brother is right across the street and is willing to keep an eye on it for us. When we get back in the spring we will see how things work out.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:27 PM   #23

The biggest pia is mail when only gone 2-3 months. Something like an unexpected bill or insurance invoice will show up unexpectedly. Thankfully my daughter checks mail every couple days and can write checks.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:58 PM   #24

Brother and Sister in law stay here for us.

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:16 PM   #25

We're gone at least 6 months from nowhere, Montana. Water system drained and water shut off. HW heater set to vacation. Insulation in the windows and blinds drawn. Two oil heaters (1 upstairs and 1 down) set to 46. Kitchen cabinets with water lines in back of have the doors open. There are no neighbors to check on the house (driveway not passable) and even with temps of 40 below, it's been just fine.

As for mail, I pre-purchase Prioity Mail envelopes and our local small town Post Mistress sorts the mail and sends 1st class mail to us on the 5th and 20th of each month.

Someone mention unexpected bills - I guess I have no idea how one gets an "unexpected bill".

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:52 PM   #26

When we travelled to Alaska in 2016 and were away for 5 months we used a mail service in Florida. Google ‘travelers mail service’, several will show up. Daily you could go online to see mail that had been opened and scanned. We could print what we wanted, save to our computer or theirs, delete unnecessary mail and/or have a pack of whatever sent to you wherever you might travel. Seems it was around $11-15 monthly. We still have an open account with them. Bills were paid electronically or by credit cards on file with utilities etc.
When in Florida each winter for 4-5 months we just file a change of address with USPS and all comes here until we change it back to home.The past 3 years have seen us away from home 9 months of the year.
The preachers son-in-law mows grass in the summer and anytime we are gone he walks through the house weekly.
Water is turned off at the meter, to avoid the minimum monthly charge, as well as in the basement and all lines drained. The alarm is attached to its own cell phone service to outsmart that cutting the line trick, major appliances including water heater turned off in the breaker box, refrigerator and freezer emptied and doors left open, propane valve closed at the tank under lock/key, heat/a/c set at minimums, garage door operators unplugged and vice-grip pliers placed on door tracks to prevent forced opening, gate closed and locked as we are miles out from town, neighbor who is 1/4 mile away and has keys to everything notified that we are leaving again, curtains closed, motion lights armed, timer placed on several interior lights, 5er loaded/dually fueled and we hit the road. Hopefully our routine will give you ideas for yours.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:49 AM   #27

It is quite easy to winterize a home without a basement !!!
Much like winterizing an RV !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel