Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 888
How far to travel each leg of trip?

We are nearing the end of our first long distance camping adventure. 18 days, 7 campgrounds and something like 1200 miles. We're relatively new to towing a trailer and I have to say that some legs of our trip have been very exhausting. We've been travelling up and down Oregon and Washington and some of the roads have been VERY twisty and hilly and sometimes, bumpy. Forever slowing down, speeding up, keeping on top of the braking, hanging onto the steering wheel with two hands, watching other vehicles around you, etc. ...... Buffeting from the wind seems to be particularly tiring. Am dragging a shorter TT at 20' and it is easy to handle and manouver and I can almost fling it around corners now. The hard part is keeping the truck solidly planted in the center of the road at all times with all the corners, bumps and wind.

A couple of the legs of our trip ended up being about 5-6 hours. Still under 60 yrs old (just), but am finding this can be a real grind. Seems to take a day to recoup at the destination campground. Oh, my aching body and tired head at the end of a drive.....

Just wondering if some people have a rule of thumb for driving time and distances? Does a self-imposed mandatory stop somewhere for a rest help that much? We're hoping to do some much longer trips in the future.

ps: Regardless, we are having the times of our lives. What a hoot a camping holiday towing a TT is!! Have seen some great sights and met some great people.
__________________
Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
Langley, BC
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Wanna Be Camper
 
SaskCampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,420
We plan our days when traveling based on start at 6am and drive till 5 PM if possible. We vary that depending on where we want to stop and sight see. Our days for the FROG rally in Indiana are basicaly setup to be 8 to 9 hour days both ways. BTW I am 55.
__________________

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,280
We plan on doing a couple of 400+ mile days to/from the F.R.O.G rally in Goshen.....plus 1 lesser day each way. I figure 400 miles with rest stops, meals and fuelings should end up being 8-10 hours per day....that is a plenty for this 59 year old.
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
J_KHawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kansas City & Sierra Vista
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
...I figure 400 miles with rest stops, meals and fuelings should end up being 8-10 hours per day....that is a plenty for this 59 year old.
Excellent advice!!!! I'm 66 now, and 7-8 hours behind the wheel is enough for me! (This equates to 350-400 miles/day.
__________________
Jim & Kathy

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_KHawthorne View Post
Excellent advice!!!! I'm 66 now, and 7-8 hours behind the wheel is enough for me! (This equates to 350-400 miles/day.
I am 72, DW is 71 and we try to drive 250-300 miles OR until one of us says enough. We are never in a hurry now that we retired. Took too many of the planned/necessary long hauls when our boys were young and we only had 1,2 or 3 weeks vacation and wanted to see everything out west.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Wildwood Danny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 280
We try to travel between 350 and 425 miles each day with a little break for a quick lunch around midday, this will get us into most campgrounds around 4 to 5 in the afternoon, let us get set up, grill some dinner, and set outside for a cool glass or bottle of your favorite beverage. We sometimes go further the first day we leave from our home port as we are loaded and hooked up and eager to get going. We also sometimes make longer days to get to our destination park and sometimes we have to go longer to find a park-not all parts of this great country of ours has parks every few miles. We also make some 150 to 200 mile days to get to a new location we want to visit and to also keep the rest of the legs in balance.

Whatever you do, make it a comfort for all and keep enjoying the RV experience.
__________________
2006 Silverado 2500HD
2007 Hensley Arrow Hitch
Good Sams Club
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
2Susan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 459
It is not about the distance! Weather and road conditions play a bigger role. My biggest suggestion is to switch off drivers every two hours. NO you aren't tired after only two hours of driving and that is the whole point. We have no problem with 14 hour days in clear weather on interstates when trading off. The person not driving hands out snacks, starts new activities. With the children ect.

The OP mentions "we" but doesn't mention changing drivers. Do it! Yes there is a learning curve if the other adult isn't used to the rig, but take the time to patiently practice.
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Wildwood Danny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 280
We also trade off, not every two hours, but depending upon the road conditions the DW with drive, the only place she NEVER ask to drive is in the mountains. The break helps everyone, driver and passenger.
__________________
2006 Silverado 2500HD
2007 Hensley Arrow Hitch
Good Sams Club
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 888
2Susan, that's a good comment about switching drivers. In my case though, DW can't drive because she has Meniere's disease which is an inner ear disorder that causes vertigo. She hasn't driven on her own in about 3 years and gets to work by carpooling so that she always has a co-driver available in cae of a vertigo attack. In any event, she`s the type of person who just isn`t comfortable driving a truck let alone towing a trailer. I`m sure that`s common.

So, I do all the driving and DW does all the co-piloting. In fact, I rely 100% on her to read the road signs, check the maps, watch for gas stations, etc. I get to focus on the road and mirrors and whine about how tired my butt is getting...

I find it hard to stop sometimes when I know I should, and instead take the press on regardless approach thinking I can set up camp and rest sooner at the cg. If there is one thing I have learned now, it's to drive at whatever speed you are comfortable with and not to worry about the traffic behind you. No need to ever push it to the limit.
__________________
Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
Langley, BC
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 94
Time and miles driving

We have a 2008 Georgetown 374 towing a 2000 Saturn and usually drive 200-300 miles a day max.....I am the sole driver and at 68 feel that distance is enough and we are all set up at our campground by early afyernoon and can relax then. We have been extremely fortunate with weather over the last five years.....traveling an average of 4 months...with great weather conditions.

George
ynott96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
Wanna Be Camper
 
SaskCampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
2Susan, that's a good comment about switching drivers. In my case though, DW can't drive because she has Meniere's disease which is an inner ear disorder that causes vertigo. She hasn't driven on her own in about 3 years and gets to work by carpooling so that she always has a co-driver available in cae of a vertigo attack. In any event, she`s the type of person who just isn`t comfortable driving a truck let alone towing a trailer. I`m sure that`s common.

So, I do all the driving and DW does all the co-piloting. In fact, I rely 100% on her to read the road signs, check the maps, watch for gas stations, etc. I get to focus on the road and mirrors and whine about how tired my butt is getting...

I find it hard to stop sometimes when I know I should, and instead take the press on regardless approach thinking I can set up camp and rest sooner at the cg. If there is one thing I have learned now, it's to drive at whatever speed you are comfortable with and not to worry about the traffic behind you. No need to ever push it to the limit.
Same here, sole driver as the DW gets dizzy spells and very rarely drives anymore.
__________________

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Cmmjmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 170
Most of our lives we have a 600 mile rule and that is what we tried to make, But since I rolled over the 60 year old speed bump it is more like 400 miles a day. Like others here I like to get in around 4:00 to 5:00 pm and have time to relax and look around a little before dinner. Most of our married lives I have driven on our trips, On our trip to Colorado last month my leg was bothering me after the first hour and my wife took over. She didn't stop tell we got to Amarillo 670 miles later. Who knew that no only could she drive so well but she was such a trooper. This realization may change how we travel in the future. Still think 350 to 400 miles a day is enough.
__________________
2013 SP 240 Anniversary
Tundra CrewMax 5.7L in Pyrite Mica
Clark, Mary Jane & Max our German Short-haired Pointer
(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,995
I flightplan a 4-5 hour driving day now that we are retired.

I like breaking camp after rush hour (like 9 AM) and getting into camp before 3 PM. So with gas and lunch stops (and an occasional shopping/sightseeing side diversion) it works for us.
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CA Desert
Posts: 43
I also believe what type of TV you use is also a determining factor. I am not talking brand here but using a TV that is well equipped for the trailer being towed. Before our MH we towed a 30 ft 7000lb trailer with a 05 Durango (8900lb rating) after arriving at the CG I was usually tired. I then bought a 3/4 ton ram (diesel) for my work and started using it. It made the driving much more relaxed and could drive 8 plus hrs and still feel great. For us the MH is perfect and is quite relaxing while driving. I also agree with setting a pace you are comfortable with and not being in a hurry.
concours14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
AKA Bluebird
 
dimurrrw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 1,060
Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I flightplan a 4-5 hour driving day now that we are retired.

I like breaking camp after rush hour (like 9 AM) and getting into camp before 3 PM. So with gas and lunch stops (and an occasional shopping/sightseeing side diversion) it works for us.
I'm the same as Lou, for the same reasons. Also, you have time at your destination to walk around, relax, take a swim, imbibe, cook, etc. This is as opposed to paying good money just to park for the night.
__________________
Happy Camping! ///// Richard D.
2006 4x4 Ford 250 SD / 2007 Flagstaff 827 FLS
One very patient wife and one furry child who travels with us. Forty-two years of trailering and camping, and I still have a blast.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,937
I'm 62 and I have a motorhome and pull my car. I'm retired so getting there is not a scheduled event so we enjoy the scenery and that controls the days mileage.
I have driven on long trips as little as 250 miles all the way up to 425 miles (thats my extreme limit). This is also stopping every few hours to eat or fuel up my house. LOL
It also depends on if you can find a place for the night to camp.
__________________
NEW 2021.5 GT5 34H5 (2/8/21)
2012 Georgetown XL 378TS (SOLD)
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
mike54's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Crystal lake,IL
Posts: 248
5-6 hrs is about it for me
__________________
Mike & Marsha
2011 Signature Ultra Lite 8319SS
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 cummins diesel

https://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Mark and Linda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Smyrna, Tennessee
Posts: 445
We are preparing for our first long haul trip next month to Tybee Island, GA from Smyrna, TN. I have a list of the Pilot Truck Stops on the way just to be a little prepared. We have to go through Atlanta, our first big obstacle. We have been planning a stop overnight at Forsyth, GA. I think I might need it. Our first day should be about 350 miles. I will know after this what I can take. When I was young I could drive, drive and drive, but now...at 62 I have to take it a little easier, plus I am not in a hurry like I used to be.
__________________
2009 Palomino Puma 25RS
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark and Linda View Post
We are preparing for our first long haul trip next month to Tybee Island, GA from Smyrna, TN. I have a list of the Pilot Truck Stops on the way just to be a little prepared. We have to go through Atlanta, our first big obstacle. We have been planning a stop overnight at Forsyth, GA. I think I might need it. Our first day should be about 350 miles. I will know after this what I can take. When I was young I could drive, drive and drive, but now...at 62 I have to take it a little easier, plus I am not in a hurry like I used to be.

That's the way..
Slow down and enjoy the scenery.
Life is good!
__________________
NEW 2021.5 GT5 34H5 (2/8/21)
2012 Georgetown XL 378TS (SOLD)
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Chuckinca's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Summerfield, FL
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours14 View Post
I also believe what type of TV you use is also a determining factor. I am not talking brand here but using a TV that is well equipped for the trailer being towed. Before our MH we towed a 30 ft 7000lb trailer with a 05 Durango (8900lb rating) after arriving at the CG I was usually tired. I then bought a 3/4 ton ram (diesel) for my work and started using it. It made the driving much more relaxed and could drive 8 plus hrs and still feel great. For us the MH is perfect and is quite relaxing while driving. I also agree with setting a pace you are comfortable with and not being in a hurry.

I Agree!

Driving the 1 Ton 6.7 L diesel megacab is a dream compared to the 1/2 ton 5.4 L extended cab V8.

We have been driving back and forth from Norcal to Central Fla for two years now and usually do about 350 miles/day starting around 9 AM and off the road near 5 PM. Try to stop for 20 minutes or so every two hours with an hour for lunch and refueling. Also break-up the drive by staying for a few days or so every third day. We have been doing the 3K+ mile trip in three weeks with about 9 days on the road.

.
__________________
2018 Flagstaff 29KSWS
2008 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Chuckinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.