Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2020, 02:12 PM   #21

I bought a motor home in Detroit for 40% off and flew in from Tulsa . Then road tripped to Niagara Falls
Jdhudkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:04 PM   #22

Very far

I would travel up to 300 miles. With our current RV I travelled 175 miles meaning I had a 350 mile round trip for repairs etc. Its been a few years and I am so glad I chose the best dealer instead of the nearest or cheapest.

This forum is probably packed with stories of RV failures that led to cancelling entire seasonal plans because their dealer couldn't get to their repairs until winter. These RVs are absolutely going to have failures no question about it. Think about cancellation fees and making other more expensive plans for vacation.

Personally, I would calculate what my maximum daily driving distance is and look for the best dealer within that range.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:11 PM   #23
SJB

Smile 1,000 miles +/-

We drove to Shipshewana, Indiana to see, order and pickup our 2020 Rockwood 2608BS last year. We were traveling cross country anyway and couldn't find the model we wanted in Colorado so trip one was a stop over on our way to Boston. Trip two was to pick up the trailer. What we saved not just in destination costs but in the cost of the unit was well worth the drive plus we made a vacation of the trip home and saw friends and family along the way.

If you decide to travel to buy, be sure to plan to stay close in the area for at least two nights after picking up your unit just in case there are items that you want the dealer to correct while you are there. We had a couple of very minor items and the dealer took care of them right away.

Also, "moving in" and stowing away our "stuff" in the new trailer took a lot longer than I had anticipated it would.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #24
AF CMSGT RET

twice flew to elkhart indiana from Anchorage Alaska 5000 miles each way to get what I wanted and dealing with Goshen Motors was well worth it for both a Dynamax Isata 3 and just recently for the 28SS Dynamax. Challenging logistics but neat adventures.
pickeljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:26 PM   #25

20 miles to get RV

Did i travel? I would have but the dealer moved the unit to AL to another of his dealerships because he could not sell Sunseekers in his main location. I used this dealership for all of the warranty work and all were covered. Smashed side and had them fixed it. I have known the owner for years and have his cell number. And best is that I trust them to do any work that is needed.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:45 PM   #26

We drove from San Antonio, TX to Chicago, IL to buy our camper. We save a lot of money. Make a short vacation out of it.
Timan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:03 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timan View Post
We drove from San Antonio, TX to Chicago, IL to buy our camper. We save a lot of money. Make a short vacation out of it.
Did you buy from House of Camping? We did and drove from NorCal and back with our Roo.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:23 PM   #28

Drove 900 miles to RV Wholesalers in Ohio. The trip was made easier by being able to visit some old friends not far away but I would have done it, anyway. The price was significant less than anything closer and RV Wholesalers say they're willing to work with any independent RV tech as their agent for warranty repairs. I haven't had any claims to make and don't expect to, within the warranty period. I do most of my own repairs, otherwise.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:51 PM   #29

Flew from Seattle to Dallas to check on a used unit, condition was excellent along with the price.
Agreed to buy but could not pick up for a couple of weeks, dealer agreed as long as I returned by the end of the month. Flew home loaded the TV with camping supplies and headed for a prearranged week in Tucson then on to Dallas, picked up 5th Wheel then took our time going home.
Saved about $10 K.
Nala47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:10 PM   #30

Approx 630 miles one way...NY to RV Wholesalers in Ohio. Did it in 2016 to purchase Rockwood Mini. lite 2503S & again this past month to upgrade to Rockwood 2608bs. We stayed at Indian Lake State park both times for couple days to try out our trailer. RVW offers a network of authorized repair places..so no need to bring it back to them for repair work.
Gottaluvlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:33 PM   #31

Driving

I usually buy 1-2 year old trailers and use an independent repair service. Dealers in my North Texas area were poor in service and slow. I would go over 500 miles if I had been able to put a deposit on it 1 ST. I found that on some of the heavier trailers I could save money going after it.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:48 PM   #32

Yes, I used RV Wholesalers in Ohio also. Good People! Custom ordered a Rockwood 2104S. Just got it 2 weeks ago. It was originally scheduled to be built in early March, then COVID-19 and the big shutdown.
Forest Ray River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:51 AM   #33

We drove Southern Florida to Wilmington North Carolina - Wilmington RV.
wecoopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:12 AM   #34

I didnt expect to hear so many interesting and positive experiences, so thanks everyone.

How do you make sure theres no bait and switch on the purchase? You are kind of buying unseen, right? How does that process work, a buyer's agent?

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:59 AM   #35

I went from AZ to VA last fall to inspect and purchase my 2608BS. No one had any out here except one shady guy in CA said he had them but all the reviews said run away. Used some airline miles to fly out there, sealed the deal, and they delivered it to my door. The total cost was still cheaper than buying it from the best local dealer I could find, and that was still over a day's drive from here. I'd do it again...
Charlie
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:28 AM   #36

We drove just over 300 hundred miles from St Louis to Mississippi to save over 8000 dollars. Local dealer went out of business about half way through warranty anyway.
mikenkyle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:36 AM   #37

For our first TT, we drove from Central FL to Central GA. A dealer 4 miles from us had the same unit, but they were not willing to make a deal. Saved a good chunk of change by traveling.

For our current fiver, I got prices from Kentucky, Alabama, North Carolina, and Tampa. It ended up that Tampa was only about $500 higher than Kentucky and second lowest of the group, so, we purchased this one closer to home.
Orlando bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:10 AM   #38

Web had what we wanted and calls thi o Matt Rancourt confirmed. sent down money and picked it up without incident. Matt can be trusted. he answered questions and gave good, sound advice. reviews of his business were very good as well.
wecoopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:11 AM   #39

Central Florida to Northern Ohio, about 1,100 miles one way. Turned out to be totally worth it. Saved around $3k ish and we got lucky with a high quality unit, that only had one piddly warranty claim.
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
tony5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:13 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by parise View Post
I didnt expect to hear so many interesting and positive experiences, so thanks everyone.

How do you make sure theres no bait and switch on the purchase? You are kind of buying unseen, right? How does that process work, a buyer's agent?

Chris
Definitely not sight unseen for us. We had the salesman send many pictures and video via email and text. We did a lengthy Facetime walkthrough where we saw a few cosmetic concerns that they fixed. Via the Facetime we assured functionality and that the mattress and wheels/tires were what we were expecting as we had these items switched on us after the sale on one of our first in person RV purchases from a local dealer.
When we showed up for our in person walkthrough we compared pics and video.
And if a salesman isn't willing to do this kind of thing for a long distance sale, walk away.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel