Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 04:26 PM   #1

How is the city water getting into the fresh water tank?

2015 Sandpiper 7RHOK. When I connecter to city water, then drain from the fresh water tank started dripping. I caped it off and over 3 days the fresh water tank filled about 3/4 full. How is the city water getting into the fresh water tank?
crockjd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Hello, Either too high of pressure and it is bypassing the check valve on the pump or the check valve is bad. Common occurrence unless you have an Anderson valve.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #3

the check valve in your water pump is froze open. turn off the city water and run your water pump. turn down your pressure regulator or get one.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
the check valve in your water pump is froze open. turn off the city water and run your water pump. turn down your pressure regulator or get one.
X2 As mentioned, this problem usually corrects itself by disconnecting the city water and using the water pump for a while.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #5

Age old problem. Probably (99%) its your water pump. It has a backflow device to prevent this from happening, but often gets a piece of debris that keeps it open, or simply fails. Its happened to me twice over the years. Easiest to just put in a new pump!
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #6

It didn't correct itself on mine. I decided to just use the city water until it filled the tank, then switch. It worked pretty well. Now I have installed a separate check valve. It stopped the city water from entering the fresh water tank, but I don't know how well the pump is going to work now.
Goat Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Man View Post
It didn't correct itself on mine. I decided to just use the city water until it filled the tank, then switch. It worked pretty well. Now I have installed a separate check valve. It stopped the city water from entering the fresh water tank, but I don't know how well the pump is going to work now.
Should be fine. The only wear on the pump would be if there was a long distance of hose before your check valve as it could force the pump to work in reverse and wear on the motor. In your case I am betting it is pretty close to the pump so should be no different.

Good fix!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
Gold Tee Box

As others have stated, I found out a couple months ago that there is a long history of discussion about this on the forum.

I first realized what was happening when camping for about a month after getting out of storage. The overflow from the fresh water tank was dripping onto my site. It had rained quite a bit so I didn't recognize as soon as I should.

My short term solution was to cut off the water, drain the fresh water tank, run the pump, wait about 30 min, and reconnect the city water. I found that there may be some leakage into the fresh tank, but not as much.

Not sure about the long term, but I may have to locate the check valve in my unit and replace it as others have recommended.

It's good to know you've found is so you aren't towing all the extra water.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #9

As a temporary solution just turn the valve on the inlet side of the water pump where the winterizing hose is connected. Turn it to the winterizing position just make sure the winterizing hose is capped tight.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:10 PM   #10

I had this happen and it turned out that the 4 way selector switch had not fully transitioned from fresh water fill to city water connection and was letting the fresh water tank slowly fill.
mlwilliams808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #11

Do you have a water diverter valve at your city water hook up? It's a valve used to flip between city water use and filling your fresh tank. These valves are used when you have a single hose hook up for fresh tank fill and city water supply. Most of the time the valve handle is usually red or sometimes blue. If you have a water diverter value, I would have it checked. When your set it city supply, the valve could be bleeding water through to the fresh tank. Especially if water was in it during the winter and it froze. Ive replaced so many of these valves because of that same failure. Lol I just saw "mlwilliams808" also posted about the 4way selector water valve. He's right. Those valves can leak to the fresh tank too.
OneRoomShed Trailer Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #12

I just had that same problem. I replaced my pressure regulator on my inlet hose and it fixed my problem.
jsrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockjd1 View Post
2015 Sandpiper 7RHOK. When I connecter to city water, then drain from the fresh water tank started dripping. I caped it off and over 3 days the fresh water tank filled about 3/4 full. How is the city water getting into the fresh water tank?

Are you using a pressure regulator from the city water? The pressure may be too high from the city. Always use a water Pressure Reducer.....

The fresh water tank Water Pump, is allowing the city water to back flow into the fresh water tank. If your fresh water tank it Full, shut of the city water and use the fresh water tank until you 'get home' and clean out the water pump, if turning it on.... did not remove any debris that may be in the back flow preventer valve.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #14
Site Team

Try this.

Shut off city water
Make sure water pump is off
open faucet until water stops
close faucet.
Turn on water pump
run water for a minute
shut off water and wait for pump to stop.
turn off water pump
reconnect city water.

This will reset the back flow preventor in the water pump.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
city water, fresh water, tank, water, water tank