Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2018, 09:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Been here since Dec 27, and it's been super cold many nights (for here, not compared to Yankee Land). Down to 18 couple of times. Many nights in 30's. Enough we need heat. With 2 30-lb tanks, I alternate them, and I've filled one up three times so far. We use fireplace, wall heater in bedroom, and plug in wall heaters, but make sure the furnace comes ON for those nights cold enough to freeze pipes in basement.
If we have a heated underbelly is that still required
HappilyLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:07 AM   #22

If by "heated underbelly" you mean the tank heaters........No, I didn't turn those on. Those are simply a small pad, about a foot long x wide, attached to the front of the tanks. First, we have a washer/dryer, so the gray tanks valves stay open all the time. The black tank is in some state, somewhere between full and "I just dumped it" and if I just dumped it, I didn't turn on the tank heaters for an empty tank. All that to say I don't use the tank heaters on empty tanks.

Edit: It's also warm enough during the day, and trailer nose faces East, so the dining room slide, the side with all the windows, faces the sun. It goes from cold at night to hot during day, even on cool days.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:16 AM   #23

HappilyLost, just run a heavy duty 12 or 14 gauge extension cord through the slide rubber from the post 20/15 plug to an electric heater in the camper. This by-passes the 30 amp circuit and will get you by until you have time to run a dedicated circuit with its own outlet. A lot of people here use those oil filled radiator type heaters, but because of the size of our unit (2504s) we use 750/1500 small ceramic heaters instead. They are only good for about 2 years or so depending on how much you run them on high. In the spring, I can buy them for as little as $6 each on close out,so no big deal. There is no real difference in electric heater efficiency, so get what you would like to have based on needs. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
HappilyLost, just run a heavy duty 12 or 14 gauge extension cord through the slide rubber from the post 20/15 plug to an electric heater in the camper. This by-passes the 30 amp circuit and will get you by until you have time to run a dedicated circuit with its own outlet. A lot of people here use those oil filled radiator type heaters, but because of the size of our unit (2504s) we use 750/1500 small ceramic heaters instead. They are only good for about 2 years or so depending on how much you run them on high. In the spring, I can buy them for as little as $6 each on close out,so no big deal. There is no real difference in electric heater efficiency, so get what you would like to have based on needs. Jay
Ceramics work well for us, on our 2400W MBS. By using a dedicated cord for the heater, it keeps the rest of the RV well supplied.
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #25

Trees

We get 3-4 days on 20# propane with 28' TT in temperatures that you post. We like it cold at night. Sometimes below 60 deg. The furnace is nice, but only 40%-60% efficient. I carry a very small 1000 watt electric and that is sufficient with no furnace operation for night time. Also, if no electric we will put a cast iron pan on stove burner set on low. This heat is 100% efficient. Not good to attempt to heat entire trailer with this, just supplemental. If you prefer crack a window open in bedroom. This will cut down on furnace operation and your propane will last longer.
trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #26

That's interesting. I never thought about the furnace being less than 100% efficient.

When my furnace comes on, it'll run you out of the trailer if you have thermostat set higher than 68. And it'll do it in a matter of minutes.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:32 PM   #27

Gas furnaces always have some loss. 90% efficiency is pretty high in hvac. Unless I am mistaken 80% is still the standard on residential....the most I have seen is about 95%. Ymmv
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:25 PM   #28

I turn mine as low as thermostat goes and crawl into an electric blanket. I am in Arazona and 30 lb bottle lasts 1 month. About 6 am I turn it up for wife. If you get up in the night you might freeze. Here in Arazona we don't need it in the day time.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:38 PM   #29

It's hard to answer without a depends, but my experience during the last cold snap, low20s, one full 20lb tank only lasted 17 hours. Most the others, and there was several, last for 48 to 72 hrs. I set my tanks to not switch automatically so I knew when when the first one ran out so I could get it filled the next day and never run out. My trailer is a 27 footer.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:29 AM   #30

Happily Lost: Welcome to the world of RV predictions. There is no correct answer to your questions. You must take the bit between your teeth and go out into the great, wide world of RV camping and find out for yourselves what works best for you and your family.

In more than forty years of RV camping, my wife and daughters have never been able to predict how much thermal energy we will need to stay warm on any particular weekend. On one Memorial Day Weekend in the Southern California Mountains, the temperature dropped to 20 deg. F. Our daughters slept with their best friends like "spoons in a drawer" in a tent with no heat. We slept in our pop-up tent trailer with no heat except for the warmth of our 60-pound Samoyed under the covers with us. Covers included double layers of Arctic Class sleeping bags.

These days, when camping in wintering weather, we set our electric phony fireplace space heater at the lowest setting, then set our propane furnace at about 66 D. F. So far, the furnace has never kicked on .

If your only source of heat for your RV is propane, I recommend that you take at least twice as much as you might need. This might mean that you buy an extra bottle or two, but it might be a good investment. Propane in properly sealed containers does not go "sour".
Jakie-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:07 PM   #31

We are in the desert for the winter and the temperatures are similar at night. Around 40 or so degrees. We go through a 30 lb tank in roughly 2 weeks. Our temp is set at 63 degrees and we use only propane for heating.

'17 Coachmen Chaparral
'17 Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Retired & Full Timer
KI4OVB
68 Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #32

I use an infrared heater. 1500w on my 2306 with a 20' coach. Keeps it plenty warm when below freezing. I have no probs with it running on 20A service. Just turn it off when needing the coffee maker or electric HWH.

You are paying for your power at the CG in your day fee, so why not use it instead of burning off your LP?

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/i...1lp/R-I3836051
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:34 PM   #33

I am on South Padre Island and recently we had some cold weather, cold at least for here. Lows in the 30's and daytime highs in the 40's and low 50's. We had sustained winds of 20 to 30 mph. My 2015 320RS was parked so that I was catching the unobstructed winds square on my kitchen and bedroom slide side, so I was getting some air leakage. I was running my furnace on 68 and it felt cool, almost cold, inside the RV. The furnace was running almost continually. We would run the fireplace during the day and had throws over us to help keep warm. I was going through a 20 lb tank of propane every day. During the cold spell I never used more than a tank a day and occasionally went two days before changing one.
bobneal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:29 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappilyLost View Post
Thanks for the reply WFD. What temperature do you usually keep it around? Our TT is 30 amp and I wouldnt want to blow the circuit in the middle of the night from running a space heater, fridge, and the furnace kicking on which I thought alone was 13 Amps. Do you shut furnace off during the day?
Your furnace runs off of 12v. So you need to leave the converter/charger on. You won't trip a breaker running that along with your regular electrical load. Add up all of the amps of the 125 vac things that you have turned on. If they total up to less than 30 amps, you shouldn't trip the breaker.
otrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:38 AM   #35

Quote:
Im most concerned with blowing the circuit if supplementing the furnace with an electric heater. We have a 30amp TT and with the furnace running, supplemented by an electric heater, with the fridge running and some cellphones plugged in Im not positive where that leaves us but Id imagine pretty close if not over 30
Your furnace is gas with a 12-volt fan so take that out of the equation. Cell phones???

Not even close.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:56 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Your furnace is gas with a 12-volt fan so take that out of the equation. Cell phones???

Not even close.
Yeah if i remember its 5 vdc and 2 amps for cell phone. You're talking 10 watts. On any system that's nothing.
MadScientist_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:27 AM   #37

I had the same questions, thanks everyone for kicking in with experience, math on the propane, and links on the heaters.
Fusefinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:36 AM   #38

Quote:
Im most concerned with blowing the circuit if supplementing the furnace with an electric heater. We have a 30amp TT and with the furnace running, supplemented by an electric heater, with the fridge running and some cellphones plugged in Im not positive where that leaves us but Id imagine pretty close if not over 30
Your furnace should be 12 volt power so don't include that in your calculations.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:25 AM   #39
code.org

10 Day Yellowstone Trip

We did 10 days in West Yellowstone in late September / early October last year with temperatures down into the low 20's every night.

We used our furnace, the electric fireplace, and a space heater in the bedroom with its heavy duty extension cord running out through the slide seal to the 20 amp plug on the pedestal. We also kept the valves for the holding tanks closed and the tank heaters on.

We started with two full 30# propane tanks and ended with about 1/2 of one tank left.

Balancing the usage of all three so that all were working equally took a bit of tweaking, but we did stay warm.
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #40

Not to hijack thread. Be aware of you waste tanks possibly freezing up. I dump some antifreeze in, cheap insurance.
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace