Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2018, 07:43 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
HappilyLost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 179
How long can you run your furnace?

Hello there. Iím wondering what people see as a general usage of propane while running the furnace in their camper. I understand there are a billion variables (btu, how much itís ran, how big trailer is, how many people are in the trailer, how cold it is outside, how well insulation is, etc. etc.) but I just want to see what people out there are reporting. We plan to do some week long camping in some low 40ís at night temperatures and would like to be able to keep our camper at a comfortable temperature overnight. Our camper is a 2018 27DBK. Just bounce some experience off me, rather than just tell me it depends.
HappilyLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:59 PM   #2
WFD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,936
When we camp in late fall with daytime temps reaching around the 40 mark and nights getting to 28-30...we will go through a 30lb tank in 4 days. This is with having an electric heater supplementing it through the night. We wouldn't leave the electric heater going through the day if we are not in the trailer....daytime sunny skies will help you out.
__________________
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax
2016 Rockwood 8289WS, Diamond Pkg.
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:04 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dayton Ohio
Posts: 2,326
91,000 btu's of propane per gallon. 4.7 gallons in a #20 tank.

Depends on the output of the furnace and how long it operates.

Depends on you thermostat setting.

You can do the math.

My fifth wheel can go about 28 hours running constantly. #60 of propane, 45,000 btu's furnace. These things burn it fast!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:07 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
HappilyLost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 179
Thanks for the reply WFD. What temperature do you usually keep it around? Our TT is 30 amp and I wouldn’t want to blow the circuit in the middle of the night from running a space heater, fridge, and the furnace kicking on which I thought alone was 13 Amps. Do you shut furnace off during the day?
HappilyLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:09 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
HappilyLost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
91,000 btu's of propane per gallon. 4.7 gallons in a #20 tank.

Depends on the output of the furnace and how long it operates.

Depends on you thermostat setting.

You can do the math.

My fifth wheel can go about 28 hours running constantly. #60 of propane, 45,000 btu's furnace. These things burn it fast!

Yeah thatís what ive heard, that itís gone quick.
HappilyLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:22 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 5,604
People with certain trailers have the advantage over others by sometimes having 2 propane tanks. Under extreme conditions of cold, you may be burning more propane than youíd like, but you can switch over to the spare tank, and make a run to refill the first tank.

Others only have one tank including motorhomes. And, with a motorhome, the tank my be 80 lbs, but when it runs out, we have to pack up for a road trip to a place that is equipped/licensed just to get a refill.

RVs are not really well insulated for really cold weather camping.
__________________

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD over a 2017 Ford E450
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:42 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Posts: 9,226
I have an extend a stay kit on my Class C. We camp all year in all weather. In the winter @ Gettysburg, Pa, with night temps in the teens and day temps in the 30s. We go through a 20 lb bottle in 3 days. We are 32 ft. long with one slide use an oil filled heater over night and during the day when there. Furnace @ night set @60 and during the day, 60 if not there and 74 when there and up. Discovered thermostat is 3 degrees off. So 74 is 71. 60 when not there is for the dog.
__________________
2012 SunSeeker 3100SS Toad-1962 Futura Average 100 + days camping
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:48 PM   #8
WFD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappilyLost View Post
Thanks for the reply WFD. What temperature do you usually keep it around? Our TT is 30 amp and I wouldnít want to blow the circuit in the middle of the night from running a space heater, fridge, and the furnace kicking on which I thought alone was 13 Amps. Do you shut furnace off during the day?
We keep it cool at night...around 62-63...at night we will set our electric heater to a lower wattage....I believe it can be set for either 1000W or 1500, and we set it at the lower one...in the morning we will crank up the thermostat to be around 70, then if we leave during the day we turn it back down to about 62-63 but make sure the blinds are open to let as much sunshine in as possible. We typically only do this for 1 last fall camp before calling it a season and putting it away for the winter.
__________________
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax
2016 Rockwood 8289WS, Diamond Pkg.
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:57 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
HappilyLost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
We keep it cool at night...around 62-63...at night we will set our electric heater to a lower wattage....I believe it can be set for either 1000W or 1500, and we set it at the lower one...in the morning we will crank up the thermostat to be around 70, then if we leave during the day we turn it back down to about 62-63 but make sure the blinds are open to let as much sunshine in as possible. We typically only do this for 1 last fall camp before calling it a season and putting it away for the winter.
What type of electric heater are you using? Iíve jeard a lot about the oil heaters
HappilyLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:57 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dayton Ohio
Posts: 2,326
Propane use is sort of a big user of gas.

I assume you get the point that everyone try's to use auxiliary heat in cold weather.

Our new fifth wheel has a heater electric fireplace and a small heater in the bedroom. About 3,000 watts, but helps when plugged in. When not using propane(heats the basement) the tanks have 12 volt heat pads. Just in case.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:07 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
HappilyLost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Propane use is sort of a big user of gas.

I assume you get the point that everyone try's to use auxiliary heat in cold weather.

Our new fifth wheel has a heater electric fireplace and a small heater in the bedroom. About 3,000 watts, but helps when plugged in. When not using propane(heats the basement) the tanks have 12 volt heat pads. Just in case.
Iím most concerned with blowing the circuit if supplementing the furnace with an electric heater. We have a 30amp TT and with the furnace running, supplemented by an electric heater, with the fridge running and some cellphones plugged in Iím not positive where that leaves us but Iíd imagine pretty close if not over 30
HappilyLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:11 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Posts: 9,226
I run that and then some and we are 30 amp. Haven't tripped anything yet.
__________________
2012 SunSeeker 3100SS Toad-1962 Futura Average 100 + days camping
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:15 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
HappilyLost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I run that and then some and we are 30 amp. Haven't tripped anything yet.
What brand heater are you running? And is it 1000 or 1500 watt?
HappilyLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:25 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
mjones12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lexington, NC
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I run that and then some and we are 30 amp. Haven't tripped anything yet.
Same here. We just shut the elec. heater off briefly when using microwave or hair dryer. And when we leave the camper.
__________________
2018 Coachmen Apex 249 RBS
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8


The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:28 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Posts: 9,226
Pelon's oil filled. Doesn't say, but I think 1000 watts. Run a 40 inch, sat. Box, elect element in wh, fridge on 120, lights, furnace is 12 volts. Haven't tripped any circuit breakers. Do turn it off to use toaster, no problem with coffee maker,or using micro wave. Hope this helps. I use the furnace to prevent water line problems. Attic Pac and heated bays.
__________________
2012 SunSeeker 3100SS Toad-1962 Futura Average 100 + days camping
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:40 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
HappilyLost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Pelon's oil filled. Doesn't say, but I think 1000 watts. Run a 40 inch, sat. Box, elect element in wh, fridge on 120, lights, furnace is 12 volts. Haven't tripped any circuit breakers. Do turn it off to use toaster, no problem with coffee maker,or using micro wave. Hope this helps. I use the furnace to prevent water line problems. Attic Pac and heated bays.
Thanks I really appreciate the information
HappilyLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:05 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 14,428
If going to use the unit in Cold weather I would install a Outside 20AMP power inlet! Just like used on Boats! No need to unplug anything as this is a separate supply for your heater! Youroo!! Home Depot -RV & Marine Park Power Part# 150BBIW.RV is a 15Amp version they make 20Amp also!
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:38 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
HappilyLost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If going to use the unit in Cold weather I would install a Outside 20AMP power inlet! Just like used on Boats! No need to unplug anything as this is a separate supply for your heater! Youroo!! Home Depot -RV & Marine Park Power Part# 150BBIW.RV is a 15Amp version they make 20Amp also!
So that and the TT then go to two different supplyís?
HappilyLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:52 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
BandJCarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Between Pickles Gap and Toad Suck, AR
Posts: 6,070
Been here since Dec 27, and it's been super cold many nights (for here, not compared to Yankee Land). Down to 18 couple of times. Many nights in 30's. Enough we need heat. With 2 30-lb tanks, I alternate them, and I've filled one up three times so far. We use fireplace, wall heater in bedroom, and plug in wall heaters, but make sure the furnace comes ON for those nights cold enough to freeze pipes in basement.
__________________
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man" Herbert Hoover
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:00 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 14,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappilyLost View Post
So that and the TT then go to two different supply’s?
Yep,you are already plugged into the 30 AMP at the Pedestal plug this into the 15/20 AMP also on the Pedestal! Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
furnace

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.