Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #1

How long does it take for you to pack up for a long trip?

I've been planning a long trip ever since I parked the trailer from the last one in July. Off on a roughly 4500+ mile trip starting next Monday. No return date scheduled.

Getting ready, packing clothing for two seasons (temps ranging from 20's-30's to 100), food, general supplies, has been an ongoing project for the last two weeks. Rather than trying to pack in one day like days of old, I've been taking a few items at a time each day. Refrigerator is the last to be loaded.

In the past I used to start out by stacking everything that was to go in the trailer in the dining room or kitchen and then haul it out the day before. Found that I often had more "stuff" than room, took more than was needed, and at the end of packing day I was beat.

Figured this time I'd take some time to organize as I loaded, remove the stuff I haven't needed in the last few trips, and when time to leave just hook up and go after a good nights sleep.

What about the rest of you? Last minute packers or some here and some there over a week or more?

Of course full timers are excluded from this question

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #2

it's taking us less effort as time goes by. this is because over time we have ended up stocking the trailer with a duplicate set of items (cookware, bedding, supplies) so we no longer have to transfer them. a few days before we start to put dry foods into some bins at home but we do not take any food to the trailer until we are ready to hook up and leave. in the week before all tires are checked, moving parts lubed, supplies checked, propane filled, etc. at departure time it is just basically load the food and clothing and go. it's getting easier but it is still an effort. oh, and the big effort is to catch the cat and put her in her carrier. somehow she knows and disappears just when it is time to go.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
Insert witty title here

We keep our camper fully stocked with everything that doesn't go bad. Things like toiletries, canned goods, paper products etc. To go anywhere all we need is a trip to the grocery store for perishables and to pack our clothing. If you give me 4 hours, I can be on the road to anywhere for any length of time.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #4

That was part of the appeal of the A-frame for us - we wanted to be pulling out of the driveway less than 2 hours after a "go" decision. And we wanted to be completely set up within an hour after arrival at the campground.

But a "long" trip for us is a 4 day weekend, or at most a 9 day trip.

The A-frame stores in the garage. We keep it stocked except for food and daily clothing (rain gear, bedding, cold weather stuff is stocked).

The new bigger A-frame doesn't meet our "go" goals as easily. I can't fully set up inside the garage, and the spare tire has to be taken off to fit in the garage. So I have to crawl in to stock the fridge. And spend about 15 min mounting the spare.

Typically, to a reserved campsite, we'll pull the A-frame into the driveway the night before, mount the spare, raise the roof, load the fridge and any other special gear, fill water tank, fold the A-frame down. In the morning, check air pressures, hook up and go. Grab ice and gas on the way out.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:41 AM   #5

Depends! For a boondocking trip out in the middle of nowhere, sure, we'll spend more time going over lists and ensuring we have everything we will need. Where we usually go it is many hours to any type of store.

For trips to populated areas, not so much. Less than an hour. The trailer already has all the basics. All we add is a few clothes and enough food for a few meals. Whatever we don't have can be picked up along the way. There are Walmarts everywhere
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:35 PM   #6

It takes me 5 minutes...takes my wife 5 days...LOL we try to follow the same guidelines from the guys above,.....gets shorer each time.
bigred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #7

I never stop...............

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #8

Master card takes care of all mistakes.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:45 PM   #9
Professional Curmudgeon

We also keep our camper fully stocked. In fact, it's fully operational at all times with FHU nexst to the house. I'd say I spend more time in the camper during the day than I do in the house!
We tend to go to the beach areas more than any other type of locations, so the closets are loaded with "beach attire" including dinner clothes. However, we do occasionally attend star parties, so I have to load the telescopes into the truck and camper, or clubs and such for golf oriented trips. But those things don't really take too long to load up.
If I were to spend even days loading stuff, I'd very quickly forget what I had already put in the camper and end up going through cabinets and drawers constantly checking to ensure I hadn't forgotten anything or to determine what I needed to bring out next.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:49 PM   #10

I've got a detailed checklist that we've honed down over the years. Made one for the DW personal items and another for household/food items. Made one for each of the three teenagers: they give me a strange look and say, "Hey dad, what's this for?"
Old 09-27-2018, 02:00 PM   #11

I keep the camper stocked with my clothes, DW it takes a day to get her clothes in. Normally on long trips of two months it takes a couple of days. Tools, grills, things to cook with. The camper stays loaded, generators, blankets, sheets, towels soap
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:59 PM   #12

We go south every winter for about six months. I used to fret over packing but a co-worker has me repeating the mantra: There's a Walmart in every town. I take my job with me (I'm an accountant) so I have added the mantra: there's nothing they can't scan and send me. I figure as long as my electronics get in the RV I am all set. iPod for downloaded library audio books, iPad and two Kindles for downloaded library e-books, cameras and laptops, a printer and we are all set. And my Beats headphones! As long as I can count beans and read and my husband can photograph birdies we are happy. Last thing we put in is the most important: The Chihuahua, world's best little traveler.
NH Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #13

Even for a weekend, I start days in advance.

Like Vince and Charlette, I have a 3-page checklist on my computer that I print in advance of each trip. It feels good to checkoff items as I go, but it's also reassuring to be able to walk away from the prep work knowing that I know precisely where things stand when I return to the task. The list is comprehensive, and many things get checked off immediately because they don't apply to the upcoming trip. But the list even includes turning off the hot water heater, taking out the garbage, and setting the lights at home for a "lived-in" look. (for the really stupid burglars... )

I hope you have a truly wonderful trip, and here's to tomkatb's comment about MasterCard. Personally I prefer AMEX because the "points" are better, but some places won't take it.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #14

We keep our camper stocked with everything but food, toiletries and our clothing. While packing for a long trip, we bring plastic totes to our dining room and fill those with items we wish to take. I find if I put things in the motorhome too far in advance, I can too easily forget what I packed and then end up with duplicate items. We also have a checklist in Excel that we use so we don't forget important items, such as phone chargers and other essentials.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:59 PM   #15

Pre trip prep.

We live in central NJ and leave for central Fl. a day or two after Christmas so prep starts like now. My wife makes 'lists'. She'll start gathering stuff soon but we won't put anything aboard until mid Dec. Christmas Eve day I'll plug 'Waldo' in and and start the F/F. Christmas Day after we get back from family dinner we finish packing, get some sleep. Weather permitting we'll be on the road 0600.
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:07 PM   #16

She-Who-Let-The-Dogs-Out and I keep everything but food in the rig. Luckily, we have 30amp on the pad at home so we even keep frozen food in the freezer and condiments and adult beverages in the fridge. We have duplicate toiletries, clothes and paper goods. We put our electronics and my guitar onboard and we’re off!

We’ve found a great app for keeping track of all of our items and needs called AnyList. It syncs across all of our iOS devices and if I add bratwurst to the grocery list, purchase it and then stock it in the fridge it appears on two lists: the grocery list (it appears crossed of when acquired) then the inventory list when stocked (it appears crossed off when consumed)...very handy when busy schedules up to departure don’t necessarily allow for comprehensive conversations!
Chief Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #17

Doesn't take much time really but we do start a couple days early...we fire up the fridge first. Usually we grab the food we have in the house fridge and some clothes and we're off. We keep some "dry goods" in the pantry and all toiletries are fully stocked. I keep a variety of sweatshirts, jackets, and coats. Couple pairs of jeans and some shoes. Pretty much grab some panties and go. We also live by the "walmart is everywhere" mantra.
TwoMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:43 PM   #18
D W

< 1 hour. The process of carrying stuff out of the house to the TT, and then carrying it back into the house upon return is ridiculous. With exception of food and clothing, the TT is already provisioned. If we get food before we leave it goes straight into the TT when it comes home from the store. Sometimes we HOBO-it and pickup food on the road.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:45 PM   #19

The 5er is parked next to our house and is fully equipped so all we need to load is our clothes, shoes and personal care stuff and food. I used to struggle with decisions about what to load in the 6 cu ft fridge we had in the TT but now with the 21 cu ft residential fridge, basically everything goes (unless it's just a 2-3 day week-end.) As soon as we start loading the CC, dog gets excited and acts like we might leave him behind. Crazy. The cat is an awesome traveller BUT like OP said:
oh, and the big effort is to catch the cat and put her in her carrier. somehow she knows and disappears just when it is time to go.
__________________Love our fur babies!
Old 09-27-2018, 06:53 PM   #20
Casey & Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
We keep our camper fully stocked with everything that doesn't go bad. Things like toiletries, canned goods, paper products etc. To go anywhere all we need is a trip to the grocery store for perishables and to pack our clothing. If you give me 4 hours, I can be on the road to anywhere for any length of time.

2X
2018 Ram 3500 4x4 CC Cummins Powered
Casey r is offline   Reply With Quote