Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2020, 03:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggonzo View Post
We recently bought a new 8328SB Signature Rockwood. We plan on keeping this trailer for a while (approx 10 years). Many links on covers and many that are not happy with them since they seem to tear within a short period. I would like to know from owners who have had their trailers for several years i.e. 5 years and longer without a cover and how well their trailers held up?

I plan to put eternabond by the front cap and over any other openings on the roof plus some self leveling caulk. I also plan to wax it at least twice a year and also wash and keep the roof clean.

So, does anyone have a trailer that's never been covered and still looks great, or do I need to spend approx $1500 for a cover made out of Sunbrella that will last?

We live in NW Florida and the sun like many other places is brutal. We also don't use the trailer during the hottest part of summer i.e. June, July, August. We are more spring and fall campers.
flaggonzo; I live in SE Louisiana and my Jayco is a 2014 and has never been covered. Orther than the annual spring ritual of scrubbing and pressure washing it, I have had no issues (leaks or scuffed paint) with it. I think this summer I will have to apply a little self leveling dicor around the front cap where I saw a small crack forming. Although it's been so hot lately, I may have to wait for cooler weather before getting back up there ... that bright white reflects a lot of heat and hurts my eyes with the sun reflecting off it.

If I were going to cover the TT, I would go for one of those free standing carport types rather than fighting putting on and taking off the slip cover typ.
Good Camping .... Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #22

Consider recoating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclarkx View Post
I bought a Rockwood Ultra lite new in 2014 and have never covered it. It sits out in the California central valley sun over the summer (we camp only in fall and spring, 5 months total). I've washed the roof twice once with a brush and mild soap, the other just with a hose and nozzle. I've added and upgraded solar three times and been up there to repair the shower skylight (three trips) and damaged TV antenna and add a vent cover and replace another vent cover. I've damaged the edges with tree branches and repaired with Eternabond. I've repaired cracks in the dicor (mostly with Eternabond). So I'm up there at least twice each year, usually 3 or 4 times. The rubber membrane seems just fine. I have not put Eternabond across the membrane-cap joint but know that that is overdue, especially since the upper portion of the cap has drooped inward making a bit of a sharper bend in that seam.

Early on a friend gave me a high quality fairly light cover that would fit, but after just laying it out in the driveway I decided life is too short ......... and I'm too old to be trying to get even that light-weight thing up there and off again (my Ultralight is over 12 feet at the front). So, early on I resigned myself to a new roof at 10 years. At this point I'm thinking I'll get at least 10 years and maybe more in spite of the abuse. What I save on the cover will go toward the cost of a new roof.
Consider recoating, rather than entirely replacing the roof membrane.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:34 PM   #23

Outdoors?

The 2008 Cherokee 38P is a 38' destination trailer. We bought it on the same site in 2012. I think it's been there since it was new. There's no way I could manage a cover that size. I pressure wash it annually, sometimes finishing with a "wax" product applied with the pressure washer soap feature.

It looks like it's weathered some. I would like to pre-emptively recoat the roof this summer, COVID permitting. The worst damage is the decals. The siding is horizontally grooved aluminum. The vinyl decals shrink and then bridge the flutes. The material has become brittle and must be avoided with pressure washer, brush, and rag. This is one of those RV-bad-materials-choice, just like certain motorhome seats, all the white plastic exterior accessories that turn yellow in a year, and the roof vents that crumble in a couple of years. Let me be clear. The problem is NOT leaving the RV outside. The problem is bad materials choices.

Many of the sites at this resort have canopies--the resort will custom-build them for about $3000. Our site is not particularly well suited for one, as a 15' cabin is located about a foot from the trailer, so we might have to cover both. (I thought about cantilevering a canopy from the other side, but a structural engineer acquaintance glanced at it and concluded that it would not survive a high wind.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Consider recoating, rather than entirely replacing the roof membrane.
Good idea. I definitely will. Meanwhile, it's $50 of Eternabond every couple of years. When the eternabond gets too expensive ........

Somebody mentioned plastics dying on the roof. Indeed, they are not UV resistant enough. But, I lost a 14" roof tilt-up vent cover after just two years.
A cover might have extend the life of some roof plastics, but not out to 10 years in my experience. I now have hoods over all three roof vents so the tilt-up caps should last longer. These hoods seem to be quite UV resistant; the two the factory put on are still in good shape.

https://smile.amazon.com/Maxxair-503...0277814&sr=8-5

My skylight started leaking after three years, but the problem was missing screws and crooked screws and not enough sealant. A cover would not have helped with that.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:14 AM   #25

You don’t know “brutal” sun unless you live in the Mojave (world record of 134 degrees here!). First trailer 16 years without cover and current one 7 years. Only some decal deterioration but otherwise no issues. Sixteen years on first roof with little maintenance and no problems.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:05 AM   #26

No Cover But Replac Bad Cowlings and Hatches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
We had our first trailer parked with no cover. Lasted a few years. Then the weather took out the refrigerator cover (cracked it) and over the winter the snowmelt seeped into the crack and went down to the floor. When I stepped into the trailer on our first camping trip, my foot went through the floor. Needless to say it was a major repair (stix and staples days), so we built indoor storage for it after it was fixed. It is the way to go if you can. Our neighbor is using a cover on her unit, but, she has a son who can help her get it on and off. If you even have a way to put up a carport type of shelter, it will help a lot.
I don't use a cover on my RV but I do regularly inspect roof items like sealed seams, fridge cover, AC cowlings and hatches, etc. and replace them as needed. The plastic in them is not as durable as the roofing and the paint and can become brittle in the hot sun.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:02 PM   #27

Our first camper was a 24' TT. We stored it outdoors and used a cover. The cover lasted all of six months in the SW Florida sun. Bought a bigger TT a year later and moved to covered storage (open bay) and didn't have to worry about climbing on the roof and covering it - I'm in my 60's. We now have a 5er that is in covered storage (same place), but with electric. It's a bonus to be able to leave the A/C on during the summer to keep the cabin dry and comfy. Also, our Dometic 4 door fridge will take the battery down in less than two days, so pre cooling it wouldn't work without electric. We've adopted the procedure of turning the fridge on 2 days before a trip, then loading up the camper the night before we leave and camp overnight and get an early start the next morning. And yes, it's not cheap, but the convenience of having a dump station, wash area, and powered storage in an ultra secure storage place works for us. Storing the camper at our house is out of the question, so for us, this works well. It may not for others.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:47 AM   #28

I had a 21 fbrs Flagstaff for eight yrs and never cover it. I wash it down with Clorox wipe away and for spots I use simple green and never had a problem.
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:52 AM   #29

Also living pa where we get some snow and cold I would raise or lower the front so when the snow melts it would run off and not puddle on the roof and refreeze
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:31 AM   #30

Covered Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Our first camper was a 24' TT. We stored it outdoors and used a cover. The cover lasted all of six months in the SW Florida sun. Bought a bigger TT a year later and moved to covered storage (open bay) and didn't have to worry about climbing on the roof and covering it - I'm in my 60's. We now have a 5er that is in covered storage (same place), but with electric. It's a bonus to be able to leave the A/C on during the summer to keep the cabin dry and comfy. Also, our Dometic 4 door fridge will take the battery down in less than two days, so pre cooling it wouldn't work without electric. We've adopted the procedure of turning the fridge on 2 days before a trip, then loading up the camper the night before we leave and camp overnight and get an early start the next morning. And yes, it's not cheap, but the convenience of having a dump station, wash area, and powered storage in an ultra secure storage place works for us. Storing the camper at our house is out of the question, so for us, this works well. It may not for others.
Yeah, I wish we had a storage area like that near us.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:09 PM   #31

Send a message via MSN to flaggonzo
Good info! Thanks for all the replies! I have a wax that I used on my boat that does have UV protection. I may use a little extra on the decals and the cap to see if that helps. Thanks again!
flaggonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:19 PM   #32
Multi-Slacker

Our Sonoma is 3.5 years old now (relative to purchase.) It is stored outside about 30 miles from Palm Springs, CA, in the open - so you know the sun is plentiful and hot and the UV index is always high. No issues this far.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:13 PM   #33

Send a message via MSN to flaggonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
Our Sonoma is 3.5 years old now (relative to purchase.) It is stored outside about 30 miles from Palm Springs, CA, in the open - so you know the sun is plentiful and hot and the UV index is always high. No issues this far.
Definitely familiar with the area. I used to live in San Diego and spent many little get aways at the Palm Springs Marriot. Love their golf course! Yes, lot's of sun and hot out there. That's good to know, thanks!
flaggonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:14 PM   #34

Have gone thru 2 covers when TT was in our driveway. Moved to a townhouse and now stored at a RV storage area. Problem with a cover is it has to be a tight fit, anything that pokes, rubs has to be covered with padding to keep edges from wearing and poking through. Then there is the underbelly straps that has to be fed between the wheels, leaf springs and this stuff has to be tight or rubbing with wears away paint. If any part of the cover flaps or moves in wind, it damages paint and tears up the cover. It is a beast to get the cover up on the roof, and a breeze makes it worst. One has to be careful not to step on a vent cover, antenna that is down and careful you don't fall off getting it unfolded and distributed correctly before you come off the roof. I would spend hours getting it done right. Then in the spring, getting the cover off and keeping it dry if it hits the ground coming off. I stored it in a huge, brand new clean garbage container with wheels. It was heavy in every way.

To me, it just isn't worth it anymore and covers are not cheap either, so I've given up on the use of a cover.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:01 PM   #35

If you buy a cover.

If you decide to buy a cover, check out seal skin covers. Decent price and good guarantee. My boat cover lasted about 5 of 10 years. For $35, I got a brand new cover thanks to their guarantee.
jlj26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:02 PM   #36

Years without cover

We live in Southern California. I do not use a cloth cover but have it stored under a roof.
Many of friends but a cover then never used after taking it off one time.

Just opinion.
lckeehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:10 PM   #37

I've NEVER owned a cover and never will.

Quote:
We recently bought a new 8328SB Signature Rockwood. We plan on keeping this trailer for a while (approx 10 years). Many links on covers and many that are not happy with them since they seem to tear within a short period. I would like to know from owners who have had their trailers for several years i.e. 5 years and longer without a cover and how well their trailers held up?

I plan to put eternabond by the front cap and over any other openings on the roof plus some self leveling caulk. I also plan to wax it at least twice a year and also wash and keep the roof clean.

So, does anyone have a trailer that's never been covered and still looks great, or do I need to spend approx $1500 for a cover made out of Sunbrella that will last?

We live in NW Florida and the sun like many other places is brutal. We also don't use the trailer during the hottest part of summer i.e. June, July, August. We are more spring and fall campers.
I'm 66, I've had an RV since I was 25 or even a little before. Northern UT. Summer temps over 100 and winter temps below 0. Lots of snow. I use 303 protectant on plastic parts of the roof. That's it other than a cleaning every year and inspect the Dicor at that time. Eternabond around roof vents. My current trailer is a 2016. The roof looks perfect, I think covers are a marketing racket. They appeal to the "put a blankey over it in the winter" mentality. The winter cold and snow is absolutely harmless to a trailer. It's the hot summer sun and UV rays that destroy them. I stripped all the decals off the front cap the first year. Those stupid decals fade badly in the summer sun and make your trailer look old. I've had friends tell me their decals look great after x number of years. Then, when I see their trailers, nope. They don't look fine. They're faded. They didn't realize it. I'm a vinyl sign maker and sorry, there's no such a thing as a vinyl that doesn't fade with UV exposure. It ALL does. Keep the plastic protected with 303 during the summer months and save the hundreds of dollars you'll spend every few years on a new cover. I've seen the wind damage a flapping cover causes in a sustained 60 mph wind episode.
Mark N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:33 PM   #38

Quote:

OK so I had a 2002 forest river camper, I use to wash and hand wax it at least once a year, I actually got to the point I was rubbing the Finnish off the siding. I had that camper for 13 years, I sold it to a friend of mine that then used it for a hunting camp until the fall of this year (2019). Now this difference is we are up in the North East so we don't get the direct sun and heat but we do get the snow and winter weather, not sure which is worst, so to cover or not to cover is the million dollar question, bottom line and the answer to your question is no I did not cover it.

FYI I used turtle wax paint wax, yes doing this to a camper 32' long didn't happen in 1 day.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:53 PM   #39

Quote:
I had to chuckle at the idea of putting it away in the summer months. Couldn't be any different than up here!!!
Yeah, I know. I had a feeling someone would find it kind of humorous knowing full well that there are a lot of people that can only camp in the summer. I was mostly targeting people in South, and places like AZ, Nevada etc. I am surprised I am not hearing from too many. I can't be in the minority that does not cover their trailer. Oh well, I am leaning towards waxing it a few times a year and see how it holds up. I have had boats for many years and they take a beating in the sun and salt water and I have been able to keep them looking pretty good. We shall see! Maybe years from now due I will be able to provide feedback from a personal experience.[/QUOTE]

I live in southeast Tennessee, and own a 2015 Flagstaff 5th wheel (bought April 2014). I think that is a level below the Rockwood.

I’ve never covered mine, and it shows. If you’re willing and able to wax the gelcoat every 6 months, it’ll be fine. It takes me about 30 hours to hand wax mine, which is not a pleasant task to me. It would probably take a lot less time if I had done it every 6 months from the beginning.

I’ve found that the Dicor caulk needs to be redone after about 4-5 seasons. Do all penetrations. On the sloped portions of the roof, I leave a small gap (1/4”) on the lower side of each penetration so water doesn’t pool inside the bead of caulk.

Any vertical wall caulk will need to be redone at about the same frequency as the roof. Any outside penetration that is just butted up to the wall (like the range vent cover) will need recaulking after a couple of years.

Good luck.
LTnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:34 PM   #40
swj

cover yes

Cover your RV. Wash before you put the cover on. When you pull the cover off, you RV is CLEAN. Try ADCO's Designer Series DuPont Tyvek® Plus Wind RV Cover. $400 new or try Amazon Warehouse from the pull down menu . I just bought one "used-like new" for $210 from Amazon Warehouse. Apparently a lot of people buy the wrong size and return to Amazon, who then resells as "used-like new". Measure twice for the right SIZE cover. Then call ADCO customer service and they will verify you have the right size for your RV/travel trailer.

In addition to sun, wind and bird and sh*#, the loosed fit helps prevent hail damage.
swj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, trailer